Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:13 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
My husband the engineer doesn't do fiction, not even science fiction. Or, maybe it is especially science fiction. Much of the science is so fictionalized that it makes him uncomfortable.
Seriously? Give him Ringworld and the Ringworld engineers by Larry Niven as a present. There is some very good science fiction out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:13 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
So I wish to all of you this question: Are the STEM fields the only thing that matters in education today, to the point we should neglect the other fields?
Nah, it seems like its more about feeling good over everything else these days.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Nah, it seems like its more about feeling good over everything else these days.
But now we want to feel good about STEM....

Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
But now we want to feel good about STEM....
I have and will continue to post on these here forums, that the finer arts (along with trades) are likewise a very important part of the educational process.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I have and will continue to post on these here forums, that the finer arts (along with trades) are likewise a very important part of the educational process.
That was sarcasm....

Old 07-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That was sarcasm....
Argh!! Ya got me.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
My husband the engineer doesn't do fiction, not even science fiction. Or, maybe it is especially science fiction. Much of the science is so fictionalized that it makes him uncomfortable and drives him crazy.
I agree that a lot of the stuff called science fiction these days is crap. Some authors can't even get the Newtonian Physics correct.

That is Old School science fiction, 1961. LOL

They call it Hard SF these days and say the writing is bad.

psik

Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
If not STEM, then what else?

Business Owner (plumber, electrician, some type of home service like installing tankless water heaters, etc)
Plumbing and electricity are actually physics so that is STEM. LOL

The thing is, so many people are taught to do things via memorization and not to understand the principles.

psik

Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post

The thing is, so many people are taught to do things via memorization and not to understand the principles.
I sometimes wonder about that - especially when thinking about how NASA and the aerospace contractors got a man on the moon in nine years when nobody had a computer or excel or email. Amazing. Nowadays, every engineer has more power on his cell phone than did all of NASA in the 1960s. I bet we couldn't land a man on the moon five out of six times now. Back then, engineers were forced to be intimately familiar with the calculus, physics, science etc. Now, computer and models separate man from the science.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
So I wish to all of you this question: Are the STEM fields the only thing that matters in education today, to the point we should neglect the other fields?
~never-more
STEM fields are better than other fields, but that's not saying much. We still have an oversupply of people in many STEM fields, at least in area of science, see:

Is America's Science Education Gap Caused By Career Planning Fears?

Having all college students major in STEM fields is not the answer; it would just result in large numbers of unemployed and underemployed-involuntarily-out-of-field STEM grads. The real problem is that far more people are going to college than there are college-education-requiring jobs for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education