Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You can't.

But if your butt-kiss skills and charisma are superb, you can rise through the business ranks of a tech or engineering company, and eventually become head, where you'll be making 50 times more than one of us engineers.
Very true. I had many managers over the years in tech that had degrees but not in engineering.
Several got hired for sales/marketing and made the switch over to management along the way and then got into development as managers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The key is ... IF you can move up into management. If you cannot, then what can you do with just a bachelors in say English? It's quite unclear.

Of course, this is really not much different for STEM too? What are you going to do with just a bachelors in Chemistry or Biology? Not much more. Maybe be a lab tech for the next 30 years?
It's the same for everyone. You have to think about that while in school and put yourself in position to start in an industry where your interests lie.

I mean English majors can presumably analyze written material and write well. Those are skills with a lot of practical applications in a million places. It really boils down to what you want to do with it. But you need to plan ahead.

Anyway, people can be so short sighted. Without non-STEM types, who is going to create all the content on your TV? Will you see any movies? Hear any music? Read books and magazines? Is anyone going to teach your kids? Run after school programs? Who is going to sell your products? Who will come up with your advertisements? Who runs your library? Who writes our laws? Who crafts policy, writes laws? Can your company run without it's HR department? No one will train your employees, or train your senior management how to lead? No one will plan your conventions? Run your hotels? And I didn't even get into the wide word of social services. Should I go on and on and on?

It's all just a bunch of STEM ego stroking. It's just silly. Of course there are other jobs and no they don't all pay peanuts.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
That's not eve true. My literature and journalism professors were much harder graders than math and science because in math and science there is usually only one correct answer, whereas in literature if a professor doesn't agree with your analysis of a poem they might give you a bad grade.

I noticed that when I wrote term papers for my science classes I almost always received an A. That same paper would have received a C from an English professor.
God, I remember doing work study as a writing center tutor...the worst thing ever was when the math and science majors would come in with some draft of a paper they'd had to write.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
If you have good "people skills" or writing skills etc. studying engineering/science will not make them wasted or weakened.

It is true that many social people do not like engineering/science, but that does not mean an engineer/scientist must be a nerd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education