Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 AM

172 posts, read 298,152 times

Advertisements

ROFL @ people arguing about how to do a simple math problem.

The answer will always and forever be 288... or 2 depending on how the problem is written.

-------
2(9+3)

vs

---(9+3)

Answer those two problems and we can see if you know how to do basic math.

48/2(9+3) is nonsensical. If you are going to write it out this way you CANNOT be ambiguous. It needs to be either (48/2)(9+3) or 48/[2(9+3)]

-Sincerly, Math Major.

Last edited by lonepalmhc; 07-30-2013 at 12:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalmhc View Post

The answer will always and forever be 288... or 2 depending on how the problem is written.

-------
2(9+3)

vs

---(9+3)

Answer those two problems and we can see if you know how to do basic math.

48/2(9+3) is nonsensical. If you are going to write it out this way you CANNOT be ambiguous. It needs to be either (48/2)(9+3) or 48/[2(9+3)]

-Sincerly, Math Major.
but that is how some of those questions are set up as. ill admit i made the mistake when posting since solving that on paper just comes to me naturally. if not, then i would have been severely screwed in my calculus class long ago lol (dont even get me on antiderivatives. those alone are just...yeah).

Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 AM

172 posts, read 298,152 times
Imagine if someone were verbally asking you the question.

"48 divided by 2 times, in parenthesis, 9 plus 3."

Half will write it with only 2 in the denominator and the other half will write it with 2(9+3) in the denominator.

1 = 10/10 = 10/(4+6) = 10/2(2+3) = 2(5) = 10
Does 1 = 10 or was the equation ambiguous?

It's the mathematical equivalent of "Mother of 3 makes hole in one."

Old 07-30-2013, 03:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm an engineer, and I use calculators.

If the tool is at my disposal, why not use it? Should I ditch my CAD software and break out the mechanical pencil and drafting board?

Honestly, I don't think the issue is that kids are dumber, I just think their are drawn to thinking the only way to be successful is to be a rapper, musician, athlete or movie star. Kids are brought up wanting "bling" and they see the people who have it are those that are mentioned. Maybe parents encourage this as well. When I played school sports, we always had huge turnouts at my basketball and football games and encouraged sports participation. The popular kids played sports. I never saw nearly as much enthusiasm for the science fairs I was also in. Perhaps culture is to blame? Grow up worshipping the 1% that's always in the spotlight and you want to be them. I always felt self-conscience being "smart" in school. I wouldn't say it discouraged me, but I definitely hid it. Now I'm glad I pursued it. My 10-year HS reunion was definitely interesting to see how people ended up. The quarterback of my HS team did play for the Steelers for a few seasons though. Guess once in a while someone actually gets that dream.

Enough of that though...
I have to say that our kids were expected to do a lot more in high school than we were, mostly in the math and science area. They were about 2 year ahead of where most kids in our high school were--through MV Calculus when they graduated vs most kids going through Calc--which now would be Calc AB. This is just a good public school (similar to where I went to high school). I remember my mom saying the same thing about our generation because we didn't know the fine points of the JFK shooting or things about the Korean War--things she lived through vs us just reading about in the history textbooks. I really don't think that makes our generation dumber, we just know different things.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalmhc View Post

As written the ONLY correct answer is 288. 2 is never correct as written.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post

so the answer is 2. and in math you work right to left, not left to right.

Not correct.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
As written the ONLY correct answer is 288. 2 is never correct as written.

Actually--if you look at it, Google added parentheses to get the 288. As written in the first post, the correct answer is 2.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have to say that our kids were expected to do a lot more in high school than we were, mostly in the math and science area. They were about 2 year ahead of where most kids in our high school were--through MV Calculus when they graduated vs most kids going through Calc--which now would be Calc AB. This is just a good public school (similar to where I went to high school). I remember my mom saying the same thing about our generation because we didn't know the fine points of the JFK shooting or things about the Korean War--things she lived through vs us just reading about in the history textbooks. I really don't think that makes our generation dumber, we just know different things.

I guess it depends on the school district and area. I remember going though the Honor's courses at my jr high and hearing comments from other kids. I didn't really care, but there was a definite "anti-smart" culture despite how much parents and teachers pushed us. And this was back in the 80's.

Maybe things are different now, but I get a sense that kids still value sports/entertainment over math, science and other subjects.

I have taken friend's to work with their kids to try and excite them a bit about STEM type work. Hopefully a few take a liking to it and have a clear direction of what they want to do by the time they grow up and have to decide on college.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
god i hate this stupid meme. a million internet users who think they've stumbled onto sphinx's new riddle and a new level of being clever. all willing to argue endlessly with the other side about what basically comes down to a preference

the best answer is that it's ambiguously (aka crappily) written. so i choose answer C, "try again pal"

or at least define the environment it's meant to be evaluated in

anyone with decent math skills would add parenthesis to make it clear

ugh ugh ugh

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
as far as the OP, i feel many students admitted today to harvard who plan to study STEM would probably do fine on that quiz, except for the antiquated unit "rod"

cube root might be problematic too but i bet a lot of admits got that one wrong in 1890 as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education