Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The next time I am writing something that matters I will proofread. In other news, we are on an Internet forum. It really doesn't matter. Relax a bit. Are you one of those people who corrects the guy who says "I waited forever for a table at that restaurant" by telling them that they didn't actually wait forever?
It always cracks me up when people resort to being the grammar police. This is an informal forum. People write the way they speak. When we speak, we don't pronounce things like apostrophes so we don't think about them when posting informally. Ditto for confusing to, two and too. We need to read with our ears here because this is really a conversation and we don't think about spelling and punctuation in conversations. We think about how things sound. So something like misuse of an apostrophe is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:12 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm sure I could pass all of it with minimal studying except for the portions on Greek and Latin. None of this is stuff you wouldn't learn in honors classes in high school...except for Greek and Latin, which nobody needs anyway.
I shudder to think at what the core curriculum would look like based on "need."

Classical curriculum:
~Grammar/Literature
~Foreign languages.
~Mathematics
~Science
~History
~Fine Arts
~Physical education

The would be modern curriculum:
~Microsoft Word
~Microsoft Excel
~Microsoft Powerpoint
~Outlook
~Mathematics (just the basics. Who needs geometry or logic?)
~Science

Look at the curricula taught at schools which educate the children at the 1%. Your future political rulers and corporate masters are studying the classical curriculum.

As for dumbing down, some see a conspiracy. I do not. I see a deeply anti-intellectual American culture in which teachers (the good ones are very much intellectual outliers) are forced to adjust their aspirations of opening minds when they must process year after year of minds circumscribed at home and turned to mush outwith.

I think I built myself a soap box there.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:21 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post

Classical curriculum:
~Grammar/Literature
~Foreign languages.
~Mathematics
~Science
~History
~Fine Arts
~Physical education

~Microsoft Word
~Microsoft Excel
~Microsoft Powerpoint
~Outlook
~Science

Look at the curricula taught at schools which educate the children at the 1%. Your future political rulers and corporate masters are studying the classical curriculum.

As for dumbing down, some see a conspiracy. I do not. I see a deeply anti-intellectual American culture in which teachers (the good ones are very much intellectual outliers) are forced to adjust their aspirations of opening minds when they must process year after year of minds circumscribed at home and turned to mush outwith.

Your modern curriculum list is a little extreme (on purpose I'm sure), but you raise a very valid point. Nowadays, you cannot step too far away from the government/administrative approved teaching outlines.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Your modern curriculum list is a little extreme (on purpose I'm sure), but you raise a very valid point. Nowadays, you cannot step too far away from the government/administrative approved teaching outlines.
Oh we are "moving forward" alright.

CTE certification flurry is sweeping the nation.
Career and Technical education.

It's a new teacher cert.
Career and Technical Education
$1.1 billion from the Fed in FY2013 to push this into schools.

You have to have a career background to get CTE certified.
And many regions are paying for the classes to get certified and a probationary cert to get in the classroom for 1 year.

Within a year 11 year old students will know exactly what career path they will be on (sarcasm here) thanks to these career classes.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post

Classical curriculum:
~Grammar/Literature
~Foreign languages.
~Mathematics
~Science
~History
~Fine Arts
~Physical education

~Microsoft Word
~Microsoft Excel
~Microsoft Powerpoint
~Outlook
~Science

Explain how mastering Latin and Greek is an essential part of a well-rounded education.

I'll be here waiting.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Explain how mastering Latin and Greek is an essential part of a well-rounded education.

I'll be here waiting.
When was Latin/Greek required classes ?

I do recall Latin and if you had an interest in the medical field you were encouraged to take it.
My sister did and went on to become a nurse.

Most of the rest of us took Spanish or French or Italian. Few took Latin.

And I don't recall that the US education system ever offered Greek.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:

I'll be here waiting.
Not the op but the op didn't say anything about Latin or Greek. Knowing multiple languages in a world wide economy is priceless.

Many words have Latin origins and, as an engineer, I've found the Greek alphabet comes in handy....

Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:

I'll be here waiting.
It facilitates a more extensive vocabulary.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:13 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
It's a reflection of what goes up on these boards nearly every minute.

"My kid doesn't need a year of British lit, he needs to know PowerPoint!"
"Fine Arts?! Lol. I ain't raisin' no *****!"
"French? German? Latin? Chinese? Why bother? They won't be able to speak it anyway."
"History is boring. Excel is useful."
"STEM is where it's at."

I would just love to see the long term career prospects of someone who can punch numbers into excel and armed with a 6th grade vocabulary (read: a below-average business major).

Old 08-03-2013, 01:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:

I'll be here waiting.
Believe it or not Latin and Greek are both languages that contain the roots of English words. Taking 4 years of Latin and studying Greek roots was what helped me with high grades on the SATs back in the early 1960s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education