Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 10:37 PM

98 posts, read 64,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
i have mixed feelings about this. Cliques can be so hurtful, especially starting in middle school. They sometimes leave kids out, bully others and make their life miserable. The shy kids are left to fend for themselves and may not feel good about just going to sit with kids they might want to be friends with. I was the new kid in school too many times to remember and I can still see myself standing with my tray in the cafeteria wondering where to sit. Usually there was a kid or group of kids who would invite me to sit with them but not always. Assigned seats force kids to at least acknowledge others maybe outside their usual circle of friends.

Yeah, but if their assigned seat lands them next to someone they hate, then they're forced to be tortured every day at lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
I taught at a private school that had family style lunches. Every 2 weeks, the students were assigned a different table. Each table had 10-12 kids and one teacher. The first student at the table went to the kitchen and picked up a ready made cart that had all the food and silverware and began setting up the table - others helping as they arrived. When everyone was done, we'd all pass our plates and silverware towards the cart that had a big bin and cleaned up. On the 2nd Friday of the two weeks, the students could sit at whatever table they wanted as long as there were no more than 12 kids.

Anyway, it worked. It was nice to meet all the students and the students didn't seem to have a problem with it. Conversation was easy and we all got to know each other a little better.

I am not saying this is the way it should be done but just sharing.

Texas tends to have better values than the rest of the world, so it's not surprising you do something like that.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaoud View Post
I need some advice related to this issue. My daughter's school recently started assigning seating to reduce cliques. She is a very quiet girl but has a nice, small group of friends (about 5 girls out of 24 girls in the class). They always sat together. No problems. Many of the other "cool" kids caused a lot of problems so the principal assigned tables. My daughter ended up at a table with not one of her friends and a group of kids who have either bullied her or her friends in the past. These same kids have also made fun of her and her friends on numerous occasions. She has sat there for 2.5 months and not one person has talked to her. She brings her book to lunch because she is so lonely. She does not feel comfortable talking to them because all they do is talk about other people and she does not trust them. The teacher wants her to start up a conversation with these kids who have never talked to her in 7 years. When I specifically requested to have her moved to be with at least one friend, the teacher and principal refused. I feel that this is unfair and violates her rights. Am I being unreasonable? What can I do? Request a conference?

What's wrong with talking about other people?

Maybe she'll learn that some of their friends like stuff she likes and she can be friends with them?

Also, does she expect them all to talk about her?

I doubt a conference would do much if the principal already refused.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Sorry Jordyn... But Life is not fair....

Have you talked to the your assistant principal about changing tables?

I'm sure you can see that they can't have hundreds of students running around the Cafeteria changing tables every few minutes, or every day.

I always hate this reasoning though.

Cafeteria seating isn't mandated in college and there isn't mass hysteria.

Why would hundreds of students want to change tables every few minutes?

That sounds like a TV plot more than a real-life situation.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JORDYN123 View Post
well i am in the 7th grade and just broke my foot 5 different ways so yea is that grammar for you
What does that have to do with having good grammar?

Since you likely aren't doing much physical activity, you might want to read about grammar while recovering.

Your grammar sounds like a 7-year old, not 7th grade.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 937 times
I do not think We should have assigned lunch tables cause you should spend time with friends PEOPLE

Old 03-09-2017, 10:59 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times
No, that is ridiculous. What kind of anal retentive jerk came up with that?

That is part of the trouble with being a kid. There is this tendency to think adults know what they are doing and put up with any ridiculous crap. So it affects what kind of society we ultimately get due to psychological conditioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education