Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
And go back up and look at all the posts I've made concerning how much I've spent, with very little complaint. I do it out of the goodness of my heart and with the desire to not see my kids struggle without. I really don't care whether you do it or not.

Do teachers in your school/district ever bring this problem up to their superiors or to the union representatives? Have you or others mentioned this your elected representatives in the state government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I can see where school supplies would be a financial burden in a state/district where the teachers are not paid well. In our school district, the average teacher salary (heck the beginning teachers salary) is higher then the average resident's salary. But, guess what? In our school district, the parents only have to supply the standard school products such as notebooks, paper and pencils. We all know that teachers salaries and the cost of living vary widely across the US. Let's not assume that every teacher is just scraping by.
Scraping by, or well paid, why should teachers have to pay for school supplies for other people's children from their salary?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:44 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
Of course we have. But any moneys would have to come from property tax increases, which the county commission refuses to put on the ballot, or if they develop the backbone to put it on the ballot, the voters shoot it down with a vengence.

You can't get blood from a turnip. We teach in the 11th richest county in the state, but we are near the bottom (around the 90's) in terms of actual per-pupil expenditures. Of course, this problem persists across the country - systems needing the money, but the public unwilling to part with it.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:07 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
Of course we have. But any moneys would have to come from property tax increases, which the county commission refuses to put on the ballot, or if they develop the backbone to put it on the ballot, the voters shoot it down with a vengence.

You can't get blood from a turnip. We teach in the 11th richest county in the state, but we are near the bottom (around the 90's) in terms of actual per-pupil expenditures. Of course, this problem persists across the country - systems needing the money, but the public unwilling to part with it.

I am happy to hear that they are not increasing the property taxes, which is a pet peeve of mine. I must agree with you that this is unacceptable, but the real problem is a misallocation of resources/money across this country. If our president can afford to give (yes, that is give, not sell) Egypt brand new fighter jets costing billions (and Egypt is not even our friend), we can certainly afford to better fund our schools.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
You can't get blood from a turnip.
Perhaps the same should be applied to the teachers (and by the teachers) when it comes to buying supplies for the classroom.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Scraping by, or well paid, why should teachers have to pay for school supplies for other people's children from their salary?
They don't have to and they are not expected to.
They do it by choice.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:55 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They don't have to and they are not expected to.
They do it by choice.
The person I replied to implied that teachers who were well paid for their area should. And, yes, there are schools where they are indeed expected to, not to mention, that tax write-off that assumes they will. You are fortunate if you have never worked at a school that expects you to cough up supplies such as tissues and pencils.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:57 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
First day, the first damned day, today and fully 1/2 of my high school juniors and seniors had no paper or pen(cil).

Forget to tell you what happened. Principal came into one class and asked why the kids weren't writing. One of the brighter kids answered "Because most of us didn't bring a pen.". Principal's response was to turn to me and say "As a 30 year teacher I would expect you to plan better" and then he left.

We have a strained relationship as it is.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 08-19-2013 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: what I forgot

Old 08-19-2013, 04:14 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
You are fortunate if you have never worked at a school that expects you to cough up supplies such as tissues and pencils.
I would think there are a lot of schools that don't ask this of their teachers. Have you experienced this in NoVA?

Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
The person I replied to implied that teachers who were well paid for their area should. And, yes, there are schools where they are indeed expected to, not to mention, that tax write-off that assumes they will. You are fortunate if you have never worked at a school that expects you to cough up supplies such as tissues and pencils.
Yes I guess I am. I would expect the parents to supply their children with supplies.
I have been in the poorest of schools and not many are lacking cellphones and nice clothes.

Did teachers bring this on themselves because they spent their own money when no one else did and set a precedent ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education