Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

I think that article was written by someone who doesn't have children. I would be very surprised if she has school age children. It smacks of all the things you say you'll never let your children do before you actually have children.

(ETA: So, color me surprised — she does have kids! )

That said, I do think public schools are very important. We are lucky to have some great ones in the Triangle. I do think private schools or charter schools can be a better fit for some kids, too. I don't think they're necessarily better, just a better fit for some kids.

She's made an argument on false pretenses, though — that people send their kids to private schools for a better education and to escape bad public schools — which is just not the case in many situations. Sometimes a really awesome public school is just not a good fit for any number of reasons and a private school or charter school could be a better fit. I have had my kids at all three — private, charter, and public — and I have been pleased with the quality of education offered at all of them, but some of them do some other things better than others. I have one child who does better in a smaller environment. There's not a way to do that in our public school system. It's not a reflection on the teachers at the public school, though, or the education received there.

Last edited by poppydog; 08-29-2013 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 09:36 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
Post News, If You Send Your Kid to Private School, You Are a Bad Person

By Allison Benedikt

You are a bad person if you send your children to private school. Not bad like murderer bad—but bad like ruining-one-of-our-nation’s-most-essential-institutions-in-order-to-get-what’s-best-for-your-kid bad. So, pretty bad.

I am not an education policy wonk: I’m just judgmental. But it seems to me that if every single parent sent every single child to public school, public schools would improve. This would not happen immediately. It could take generations.

Private school vs. public school: Only bad people send their kids to private school. - Slate Magazine

Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
By Allison Benedikt

You are a bad person if you send your children to private school. Not bad like murderer bad—but bad like ruining-one-of-our-nation’s-most-essential-institutions-in-order-to-get-what’s-best-for-your-kid bad. So, pretty bad.

I am not an education policy wonk: I’m just judgmental. But it seems to me that if every single parent sent every single child to public school, public schools would improve. This would not happen immediately. It could take generations.

Private school vs. public school: Only bad people send their kids to private school. - Slate Magazine
No, you're a smart person if you do. Our children's peers are the biggest influence on how our kids turn out. If you can buy your kids better peers, go for it.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
I'm with Ivorytickler.

Not only that, who would take away choice from individuals? If parents want their children to have a different type of education than what is offered locally, they should have that freedom.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:00 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
The article is pure drivel.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
The author may be fine with sacrificing her children up to the common good but I am not ok with that. If I can give my kids a better education than what is offered in FL's public schools, I will do so. If someone else thinks I am a bad person because of that, I can live with the fallout.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:09 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Here's another quote from the article:

"Your children and grandchildren might get mediocre educations in the meantime, but it will be worth it, for the eventual common good."

No, sorry, a MEDIOCRE education is not OK with me. I sent my kids to private school, would do it again in a heartbeat and don't regret it at all. If others perceive me as a bad person, that's OK with me as long as I'm a bad person with well educated kids.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 08-30-2013 at 06:49 AM..

Old 08-30-2013, 06:38 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
LOL This is ridiculous but everyone is entitled to an opinion, however loopy.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:26 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
There is another thread linked to this article on the parenting forum. I posted the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The author may be fine with sacrificing her children up to the common good but I am not ok with that. If I can give my kids a better education than what is offered in FL's public schools, I will do so. If someone else thinks I am a bad person because of that, I can live with the fallout.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:25 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
If your public schools are low performing AND you have one or two kids, then maybe private schools are a good idea. If your public schools are higher performing AND you have many kids, then maybe private schools aren't worth it.

Realize the teachers in public schools are about the same in high performing schools and low performing schools - it's the students who determine the performance. Low income, ESL, single parent, not educated parents are usually associated with the low performing kids.

Now, if you have lots of kids it is probably wiser to buy into a (typically more expensive) neighborhood with higher performing schools. If you have one kid, then maybe buy into a cheaper neighborhood (with presumably lower performing schools) and go private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education