Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:37 PM

410 posts, read 586,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
First we need to get rid of gifted programs that removed the best students from the classroom and leave the rest behind. That's a much bigger problem than rich people in small enclaves sending their kids to good schools instead of the local public prison school.

I'm curious as to why gifted children should be "left behind" ? Aside from artificially raising a classes test scores on the backs of several gifted students , what possible benefit could possibly come from getting rid of "gifted programs"? The benefits of encouraging gifted children to succeed ESPECIALLY from underprivileged areas should be obvious.

For the record, I moved my children from a private school to a gifted program in a city public school. The students are thrilled to be there everyday. My children are flourishing with other the gifted children, regardless of their socio-economic background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:50 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
By Allison Benedikt

You are a bad person if you send your children to private school. Not bad like murderer bad—but bad like ruining-one-of-our-nation’s-most-essential-institutions-in-order-to-get-what’s-best-for-your-kid bad. So, pretty bad.

I am not an education policy wonk: I’m just judgmental. But it seems to me that if every single parent sent every single child to public school, public schools would improve. This would not happen immediately. It could take generations.

Private school vs. public school: Only bad people send their kids to private school. - Slate Magazine
It doesn't work that way. One bad apple will spoil the whole barrel. I believe public education is what made this country great but parents must look out for their own children. Right now in public education the tail is wagging the dog.

Did you see the video of the child being beat up on the bus. The same thing happen to my child for the same reason. He came home and told me a child offered him drugs on the bus. I called the sheriff and the next week he had his head knocked against the side of the bus. I put him in a private school for safety. That is probably why many children end up leaving the public school. I had a right to protect my child. If I don't protect my child; who is going to?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:11 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,366,982 times
I'm shocked that Slate didn't mention the bad-person-in-chief, Barack Obama.

OH, but that's different ........

Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,094 times
I understand the argument: if public school were the only choice and all children participants (excluding those attending international boarding school), the majority of all classes of society would be stakeholders in the system. The rich & influential would demand high quality schooling. Whether this would translate into quality education for less privileged communities is anyone's guess.

In the meantime, individuals sending their children to private school are not "bad people." They're (mostly) rational actors electing for the perceived best choice under the current set of circumstances.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,826 times
What about those who send their kids to rich, non-diverse public schools? The ones who forego inner cities/bad schools to live in the suburbs with great public schools...is that really at all different than a parent who sends his/her children to a private school instead of a crappy public school?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:44 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
I've seen this view in a number of different contexts, and it's bad in all of them. The basic idea is that a powerful or privileged person should use their power to improve the general facilities for everyone rather than escape to a better facility. The major fallacy lies in the fact that they can't; the system is too messed up and the problems too entrenched, so the sacrifice would be in vain.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
By Allison Benedikt

You are a bad person if you send your children to private school. Not bad like murderer bad—but bad like ruining-one-of-our-nation’s-most-essential-institutions-in-order-to-get-what’s-best-for-your-kid bad. So, pretty bad.

I am not an education policy wonk: I’m just judgmental. But it seems to me that if every single parent sent every single child to public school, public schools would improve. This would not happen immediately. It could take generations.

Private school vs. public school: Only bad people send their kids to private school. - Slate Magazine
Jacka55 OP-Ed. I refuse to send my children to a broken public school system run by inept bureaucrats and Liberal retards. My children's futures are too important. I will empower them with every edge possible.

Last edited by MattOTAlex; 08-30-2013 at 11:07 PM..

Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,663,818 times
I am so thankful we don't have school aged children as most of my neighbors have the added burden of paying for private school as well as paying taxes for public schools. I really wouldn't feel comfortable putting my child in public school violence, thugs, and unqualified "teachers".

There is no reason allow someone to "guilt" any parent into doing any less for their child than providing a challenging education in a safe environment. No guilt for taking care of my own.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:10 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,088 times
If you live in an inner city or most of the south, a private school might be your best choice.

Otherwise I'd vote for public. Private and parochial schools give parents the grades that they pay for. That is doing your children a disservice.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:19 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
Quote:
News, If You Send Your Kid to Private School, You Are a Bad Person
No, no, no...ofcourse not! I am a believer in public education, BUT, you also have sort of a moral obligation to try to get your child the best education that you can.
Depending on the area in which you live...that can sometimes he public education
(Many of our Public schools outrank Private ones in my area on the total scores.), Sometimes a home school Co-op, and many times it means private education.
You need to do what is best for your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education