Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 06:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The reason lots of people can't spell is they don't read enough. It isn't because they don't memorize spelling lists.
This has been my experience as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 06:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
...Letters in the middle are not important,...
This is a myth - it doesn't work with words that have the same spelling, words you are unfamiliar with, or with words that have been altered to contain other words. How would you like to try to read an entire article where I have altered the "letters in the middle" as with the following? An article that might be informative suddenly becomes a word jumble exercise.

He was spruesird that he had reasid scuh a saferupicil dugather.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:44 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
This is a myth - it doesn't work with words that have the same spelling, words you are unfamiliar with, or with words that have been altered to contain other words. How would you like to try to read an entire article where I have altered the "letters in the middle" as with the following? An article that might be informative suddenly becomes a word jumble exercise.

He was spruesird that he had reasid scuh a saferupicil dugather.
Exactly...we can't decode RememberMe's scrambled writing if we don't know what the words are or mean before they are scrambled.

That would be like saying I could read Italian even if all the first and last letters of the words were correct but the middles are jumbled. I assure you, I cannot do that!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:12 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well see how far up the management chain you get in your career when you sent out not only misspelled words but incorrect words that spellchecks don't check.
Don't over-educate your kids, moving up the ladder (it seems to be your goal) was never about education and spelling, 99% it's a proper alpha personality. If you'll be forcing little guys to cram that would only hurt their meteoric rise up the food chain (that's not how alphas are made).

Last edited by RememberMee; 09-07-2013 at 07:21 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 07:20 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
This is a myth - it doesn't work with words that have the same spelling, words you are unfamiliar with, or with words that have been altered to contain other words.
Essentially our mind treats misspelled words and entire sentences as one-block hieroglyph we just recognize & decipher visual patterns. I can read grossly misspelled texts full of words that have the same spelling, words I'm unfamiliar with, etc., etc., I catch all the meaning I need. It works very well, and I can do that sort of reading in 3 languages, so it's universal.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:40 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
It looked like English in sentence form to me.

Do enlighten me from your Edwardian-era grammar book written by a virginal centenarian dowager where I erred so I may appease people on Internet forums with nothing of substance to say who live only to find arcane grammatical errors no one else cares about.

You do realize English is the most fluid language on Earth and is actually harmed by rigid grammatical constraints right?

Our stores of literature would be in sorrier shape if your kind ruled the roost. Thank God you didn't exist prior to Vbulletin.
I would say in order to be more competitive we need to drop this idea that, in the 20th century baby boomer era, education matters in the 21st century.

It now has the form of an English sentence. I still can't figure out the bit about the centuries. Maybe you are trying to distinguish people born in the 20th century baby boom era from other people born in a baby boom that occurred in some other century.

Virginal centenarian dowager is a rather nice description. Thanks. By your reckoning, I existed for about 90 years before vBulletin, but in fact it was about 50.

There are many topics that I can talk about, but spelling and grammar are the topic under discussion here.

Mostly I'm just fooling around and having fun, of course. No offense intended.

Last edited by Larry Siegel; 09-07-2013 at 09:47 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
MANY people do not understand the conventions of English grammar until they study Latin.
Interesting you say that b/c I read in a grammar book once (I think it was grammar) that grammar of English is based off the grammar of Latin rather than the natural grammar of the language--English was forced to fit the structure of an obsolete language. Maybe that's why English is such a crazy language and why some things just don't seem to fit. An example is the split infinitive. You know: To boldly go. . . It does sound a lot punchier than "To go boldly. . . " and why can't we say it? Because Latin didn't do it, but turns out that in Latin you couldn't split an infinitive if you wanted to b/c it was all one word--"to go" I mean.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:38 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Essentially our mind treats misspelled words and entire sentences as one-block hieroglyph we just recognize & decipher visual patterns. I can read grossly misspelled texts full of words that have the same spelling, words I'm unfamiliar with, etc., etc., I catch all the meaning I need. It works very well, and I can do that sort of reading in 3 languages, so it's universal.
I know how it's supposed to work, but if I insert recognizable patterns into the words it breaks-down the block patterns and it becomes a word jumble exercise. I've watched people falter on the sentences because the brain keeps recognizing the words within the words. They have to resort to unscrambling individual words.

If only the letters on the ends matter, then you'll have no problem deciphering the following.

Es he vy le ts. (just joking, of course)

Old 09-07-2013, 09:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Anything rote is discouraged these days.
And I recall that there was lots of memorization when I was in K-12 with very little thinking, analyzing, forming opinions until near the end of high school.

College is where your mind got challenged. K-12 was the foundation building.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:38 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Just tell them to write in cursive, spell check won't work on ...wha....Oh, nevermind, I guess we don't do cursive anymore either.

Damn the bad luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education