Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:55 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,586,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You did all your math classes with a word processor ?
With it's mathematical equivalent; the calculator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,136,261 times
Don't you LOVE Common Core now? It isn't tested, it isn't in the curriculum. Handwriying is replaced by the word processor and spelling is replaced with the SPELL_CHECK. Live in KOCH BROS education powered by BILL GATES.

WELCOME TO THE LAND OF STUPIDITY--aka COMMON CORE--

Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,314,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
With it's mathematical equivalent; the calculator.
You took no notes at all ?

Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 AM

171 posts, read 227,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momzuki View Post
Spelling was just the tip of the iceberg.

I think you have dismissed spelling perhaps a bit too hastily.

The principal is your "pal." It is principal. Not principle. Spellcheck doesn't help you with that, though you posted that you thought it did.

I have had, shall we say, unsatisfactory results from employees who rely on spellcheck.
Shouldn't you be more concerned why principle and principal is given the same sound? Sounds more like a sound check is needed rather than a spell check.
Im still trying to understand why the letters given for representing sounds, do not sound like the letters representing the sound when pronounced in the alphabet (except for E and O).

A...aeee / V...vee
B...bee / W...dubulyoo
C... cee / X...ex
D...dee / Y...why
E / Z...zee
F...eff
G...gee
H...aych
I...iee
J...jay
K...kay
L...el
M...em
N...en
O
P...pee
Q...kyu
R...ar
S...es
T...tee
U...yoo

Last edited by embe; 09-08-2013 at 07:47 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,754,477 times
Quote:
Anything rote is discouraged these days.
And I recall that there was lots of memorization when I was in K-12 with very little thinking, analyzing, forming opinions until near the end of high school.

College is where your mind got challenged. K-12 was the foundation building.
That's right, K-12 gives you the tools to teach yourself. I know rote stuff is discouraged and I think that's short sighted b/c there is a lot to be said for automaticity when you need it. The kids are always amazed by the math problems I can do in my head but I didn't learn those tables for nothing kid. I also think learning by rote can be fun if done right. I give out worksheets and tell them to do as many as possible and then time themselves. Each week they try to beat their own time/accuracy, and that in itself can be very engaging.

There's also a lot to be said for utter confidence in your spelling skills and at times that can be important, like when I go to write a letter to the principal, I want to be solely concerned with what I'm going to say w/o having to worry about whether I inadvertently got the wrong homophone. It's a feeling of confidence that I completely took for granted until I saw how other people often struggle with it. It's not all training though--I did read a lot as a child and I have a little camera in my brain that knows almost always whether a word looks right, so I'm not judgmental about other people's spelling unless they're being mean to someone else about it. Let's face it--the English language is the hardest language to spell in. Did you know we're the only language that has spelling bees? Other languages are so consistent that there's no need.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:52 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,586,678 times
Quote:
You took no notes at all ?
I really don't remember actually. Tended to glaze over in math class as it were.

In any event in my personal and professional life I need only use basic arithmetic and percentages, so it doesn't matter anyway. Algebra and such were a pointless endeavor; never used any of it.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,314,885 times
Quote:
I really don't remember actually. Tended to glaze over in math class as it were.

In any event in my personal and professional life I need only use basic arithmetic and percentages, so it doesn't matter anyway. Algebra and such were a pointless endeavor; never used any of it.
I haven't met anyone that doesn't write with a pen and paper ever.
I have occasion to write every day for one thing or another.

I don't have a smart phone though and that is probably the biggest factor in me still writing by hand.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:28 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,239,313 times
Quote:
I haven't met anyone that doesn't write with a pen and paper ever.
I have occasion to write every day for one thing or another.

I don't have a smart phone though and that is probably the biggest factor in me still writing by hand.
A smart phone isn't the difference between having to write and type.

If that was true, such basics like conference rooms would cease having whiteboards.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:41 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,452,832 times
Quote:

Thank goodness you don't have an occupation like building the airplane you ride on then.

Believe it or not there are many people who do use those skills on a daily basis.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,833,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
A smart phone isn't the difference between having to write and type.

If that was true, such basics like conference rooms would cease having whiteboards.
They will have smart boards. In fact, most conference rooms now do power point presentations with the presenter typing on the computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education