Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 07:30 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times

Advertisements

Back in the olden days when I went to school (first through 12), there were no disabled students, at least, none identified. Nowadays, having a disability seems more the norm than not. The children without a disability are the ones more likely to be left behind? Allowing or not allowing a service dog is one more problem a school must deal with among the near countless others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 07:49 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
And how many of the children with asthma have pets, including dogs, in their homes? Even when they are allergic to the pet?

If I Have Asthma, Can I Keep My Pet?
This was on your linked site more than once.
Quote:
If your pet triggers your asthma, especially if your asthma is severe, the best bet might be to find it another home.
Not only that, one of the recommendations was to have your pets live and stay outside. Sheesh.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Prior to today no one on here knew I had a documented disability because I DON'T PLAY THE VICTIM CARD. I hate talking about it, but it's people like you that make the rest of us look bad and I just can't keep my mouth shut when this type of vitriol gets spewed.
BRAVO!!!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Oldhag: There is no discussion going on. There is only one solution and she is the only one who can render an opinion.

The only solution is that a person who wants a dog must have it - no questions; no discussion. She's the expert. Don't waste your breath.
It really doesn't matter. The law is not on your side so the point is really moot. If the school pushes this in to court they will loose. Don't like it, change the law.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Someone who has a diabetes alert dog has very severe, difficult to control diabetes and may not have enough warning to manage wide swings in blood sugar, particularly low blood sugars.
Is the school system prepared to have a nurse available all day to take care of her --- at school expense?
Frankly, if the child is that bad off, they shouldn't be away from a nurse or parent to begin with. This is where home-schooling would be ideal, for the health of the child.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
My opinion is that since the school agreed to this before the family spent $20,000 (!) on this dog then they should have honored their agreement and figured out strategies to make this work for this child. Service dogs are highly trained dogs and having one in school is freeing this child to concentrate on her school work instead of her diabetes. Normalizing service dogs is a GOOD thing, IMHO. About Us :: Dogs4Diabetics

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
It really doesn't matter. The law is not on your side so the point is really moot. If the school pushes this in to court they will loose. Don't like it, change the law.
You need to read my posts before you comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Normalizing service dogs is a GOOD thing, IMHO.
I agree. But I also think that sometimes there are situations where a service animal is not appropriate.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:11 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
The New York State Association of School Attorneys says differently. According to their guidelines "districts should decide on a case-by-case basis whether a student can receive "a free appropriate public education" without a dog." Since there are machines out there that automatically test blood sugar levels every 5 minutes, she can be accommodated with the far less distracting machine, which other kids are neither allergic to or afraid of, so everyone's right to an education is better protected.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:46 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Back in the olden days when I went to school (first through 12), there were no disabled students, at least, none identified. Nowadays, having a disability seems more the norm than not. The children without a disability are the ones more likely to be left behind? Allowing or not allowing a service dog is one more problem a school must deal with among the near countless others.
That is exactly right. +1

Today, disruption and imposition on others is an industry that more and more seem to delight in practicing. And yet some still wonder what went wrong in our public schools.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That is exactly right. +1

Today, disruption and imposition on others is an industry that more and more seem to delight in practicing. And yet some still wonder what went wrong in our public schools.
That's because back in the bad old days, students that had physical disabilities were marginalized, institutionalized, or otherwise separated from the general population. IMHO, that was pretty horrible. I can assure you that parents that have special needs students are not "delighting" on having their children's needs served.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education