Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 11:40 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times

Advertisements

The high school where I work had a student who worked as a guide dog trainer. We were told that, per the ADA, even guide dogs in training must be allowed at the school. It was part of the training program for the dog to be socialized and to learn how to behave properly in groups of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
I won't comment on your abilities. Likewise you shouldn't comment about how much of a clue I have.

I do have a teacher very close to me and I have witnessed her handling problems in the classroom many times before.

Respect must be earned.

Posted with TapaTalk
Watching occasionally and actually doing are very different. I taught 27 years and was very good at what I did. Very good, I even got to meet George Bush because of it.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-13-2013 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 09-13-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Well now.....if that is true then I propose a simple logical solution.

The school board asks the family to prove that this dog is properly trained and allows for a trial period once they are satisfied that a reputable entity trained the dog.
They are not allowed to do that per ADA rules. Were there rules in place that only ones that cost $20,000 were allowed in I would have far less objections, that alone would shut me up.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:02 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They are not allowed to do that per ADA rules. Were there rules in place that only ones that cost $20,000 were allowed in I would have far less objections, that alone would shut me up.
Those apply to businesses like restaurants and stores. I highly doubt that s school district would be in violation for not allowing a pit bull with a history of biting in their classroom.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-13-2013, 12:12 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
Here's the legal answer and (a) it doesn't sound like this school district has a legal leg to stand on and (b) the school does have the right to require the dog be a bona fide service dog and trained for the task it is intended:

http://www.ferrarafirm.com/articles_clips/SPECED1.aspx

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-13-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Those apply to businesses like restaurants and stores. I highly doubt that s school district would be in violation for not allowing a pit bull with a history of biting in their classroom.
There was a time when I would have highly doubted that a dog would be allowed to be in a restaurant, let alone one that snarled and but at a waiter's foot. There was a time when I would have highly doubted that, when other accommodations are available to take care of the issue, that people would insist a dog be allowed in school for a diabetic child. In our district a couple of years ago a child died from an asthma attack, they aren't even sure what triggered it but he had a lot of allergies. It was devastating.

So right now the law states it is illegal question the dog's breed, the dog's training, the dog's dispisition, or the person's disability. Right now the pitbull is allowed. You are allowed to send them out once someone is bit. I sure the parent of the bit child will pleased to know the dog has to leave then.

I own a pitbull, sweetest dog in the world.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:21 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
My initial reaction was that of course the dog should be allowed.

But knowing little about the topic, I began to research it and was alarmed to discover that training and sales of the dogs is entirely unregulated and there are no standards or certification process. Some trainers breed their animals and train them from puppyhood, others "rescue" animals from shelters and train them. Some screen the puppies or adult dogs for temperament, others don't. For diabetic service dogs in particular, there's no preferred breed. Mixed breeds are quite popular with the trainers that use rescue dogs. There are accounts of dobermans, rottweilers, chows, and bull terriers being used.
It's not unsurprising that there have been reported problems - ranging from "inconsistent alert failure" to attacks on persons and other animals. To what extent, it's difficult to know since there's no agency or organization that tracks, regulates, or reports use of service animals.

With that context, I'd be concerned if I were a parent in a school district that routinely allows service dogs.

Also, when perusing several websites for diabetic service dogs in particular, it was interesting to note that all had some sort of disclaimer re the dogs' function being "optional", "should not be used to replace detection technology", etc. That would indicate their use is supplemental and not essential.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:33 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
One diabetic service dog training organization that charges $20000 has been named in multiple lawsuits as having provided animals that attacked the owners' families.
Not hard to find via google; the trainer is frequently touted in good-news stories. Just a little digging turns up accounts of less heart-warming experiences.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Here's the legal answer and (a) it doesn't sound like this school district has a legal leg to stand on and (b) the school does have the right to require the dog be a bona fide service dog and trained for the task it is intended:

Requests for Use of Service Dogs in Schools Require Careful Consideration - Ferrara, Fiorenza, Larrison, Barrett & Reitz, P.C.
But trained by whom? I assume she is going to get the dog but something really needs to be done about the I say my dog is trained to do this and that is all there is to it, too bad if you don't like it nature of service dogs. The current abuse of the system in place is getting to be a problem. I know you don't get it, but there will be parents who will abuse this system to allow Little Snowflake to have their dog at school. Right now we have enough issues with parents determined to have their child labeled learning disabled to get SSI.

Fake service dogs create problem for disabled - Orlando Sentinel
Fake 'Service Dogs' Unleash Abuse by Non-Disabled New Yorkers - Legally Weird
Veterinarians concerned about phony service dogs - VIN
Fake service dogs provoke resentment, possible rule changes | www.palmbeachpost.com

There needs to be tighter regulations on these dogs.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
There is, assistance dogs international maintains a database of schools that are certified to meet a standard. This is becoming a gold standard for getting a dog, and receiving benefits for the dog as a medical device. There are standards for programs that provide dogs that need to be met in order to be accredited by ADI.

I could say more, in regards to insurance coverage for service dogs, but that would go off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education