Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:21 PM

4,884 posts, read 6,975,878 times

Advertisements

Hug a teacher... they're the only ones standing between us and a future full of morons.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-12-2013 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: cute graphic - note the copyright symbol, post link instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 03:01 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,171,092 times
Hopefully, me and my kid's teachers are working together to prevent the moronity from setting in. I know that's not a real word, but I still like it

I chair teacher appreciation and you can bet our teachers feel loved.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:03 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,328,076 times
I'd be glad to hug a teacher who cares about my young ones...and tell them how much they're appreciated...but there's NO WAY I'd ever agree that they are the only "ones standing between us and a future full of morons". Some students DO have parents that educate their children about life skills, and whatever else they need to succeed in the world.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:11 AM

350 posts, read 711,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
me and my kid's teachers are working
What were your teachers like?

Old 09-14-2013, 09:14 AM

350 posts, read 711,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Hug a teacher... they're the only ones standing between us and a future full of morons.

I'd place a higher priority on these things below than I would on teacher quality:

Genes
Work ethic
Family Income
Family Education
Peers

Old 09-14-2013, 01:30 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,609,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwashed_in_church View Post
I'd place a higher priority on these things below than I would on teacher quality:

Genes
Work ethic
Family Income
Family Education
Peers
I'd agree with your list but I'd move peers up. People often underestimate the power of peers because of demographics. Adults with similar education levels and family incomes tend live in the same kinds of areas so it looks like family income matters more than peers but I'd switch the two.

Case in point. We had a girl move to the city I teach in mid year a year and a half ago. She came in with spiked purple hair, a bull dog collar, and dressed in black. She was miserable for most of the year. Last fall, I see this pretty girl dressed in a flowered dress and sweater I didn't recognize. I did a double take. Miss punk rocker had turned prep in one summer. She went from failing her classes to doing well in her classes. This year her first day of school dress was stunning. It wasn't expensive but she'd put the outfit together flawlessly. She's all smiles these days. I see no remnants of the angry punk who walked into my classroom a year and a half ago.

Her family did not change. I don't know if their income changed (housing prices are so depressed in the city that people are buying houses there who never could have afforded them before) but what really changed was her peers. She used to live in the middle of nowhere and attended school in a town not known for academics. Every time I see her I think to myself "Boy your parents have to be happy with this move". I think she is too. Peer pressure has had a positive effect on her.

I chose to have dd#1 attend the school I teach in because I know peers matter a lot. While I didn't see this kind of transformation I am certain the outcome has been much better than it would have been had left her in our local schools. Dd#2 is ok there because she's hanging out with the smart kids. My only issues with her are academic because she's basically lazy and thinks school should be easy because it always has been. She's learning the hard way that she has to study now. I'm bummed there won't be any scholarships for her but at least she'll have studying down before she goes off to college.

I would also put family education above income. People who value education tend to live around others who value education and tend to raise kids who value education and because they all live in the same areas, the kids reinforce valuing education. I wish I'd realized that peers have more impact than parents and that the biggest impact a parent can have is in choosing their child's peers wisely before I'd had my kids. We would not live where we do. I would have spent the money for a house in a better area. One of my dumb parenting decisions was deciding to buy a cheaper house so I could work part time when my kids were little. I now realize that decision did more harm than good for both of my dd's. Dd#2 would probably be yet another candidate for valedictorian if she'd grown up in the district I teach in. The kids values are different there. The kids care about GPA's and they will work for them.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-14-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-14-2013, 02:20 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,150,354 times
If my female students hug me, I'm losing my job, my wife & kids and my freedom. Some of the female moms that have wanted to hug me have made me extremely nervous. not that they've hugged me, but subtle hints have led me to believe that they really wanted to "hug" me.

And, sorry, but really will settle for good, firm handshakes from dads.

But I do have students come back from college each year to thank me for helping them prepare for the rigors of study in the sciences. We have National Engineering Week at our school, and many of the engineers from a local chemical company come back to our school to generate student interest in engineering and science. By now in my career, virtually all of the engineers are former students, and they stroke my ego by singing my praises to the students and relate how well I prepared them for college.

That's the best praise I could ever ask for.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:19 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,171,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwashed_in_church View Post
What were your teachers like?
They were awful.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM

37,817 posts, read 41,119,481 times
Is Jaywalking real and why does it matter?

Is Jaywalking Real, and Why Does it Matter? - YouTube

These people had teachers. Some of them ARE teachers.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:02 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,743,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Is Jaywalking real and why does it matter?

Is Jaywalking Real, and Why Does it Matter? - YouTube

These people had teachers. Some of them ARE teachers.
Entertaining clip though better suited for the doomsday forum. Loved the 'end-of-times' theme music, it helped enhance the over-dramatized and vapid factoids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education