Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:05 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
A crazy secular parent could do exactly the same thing as a crazy Muslim, Hasidic, or evangelical Christian parent. Just sayin'.
Except that the OP is clearly based on religious reasons. That is what we are talking about right?

Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Except that the OP is clearly based on religious reasons. That is what we are talking about right?
Just pointing out that any dysfunctional person can take the steps you described, for any reason.

And getting back to the OP, I'm frankly astounded to learn the original blog was posted on an ostensibly Roman Catholic site. My elder sister went to an all-girls Catholic college, and my wife got her Master's from an all-girls Catholic college. The idea of "good Catholic girls" not going to college, is just absurd.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Actually, while that may have been true back in older days, it is not true now. I know plenty of women who do out-earn their mates and who are the primary breadwinners for their families. Equal incomes would probably be ideal, but that is unlikely to happen, so someone will earn more and it can be either the male or the female partner.
I didn't say that women don't out-earn men in 40% of households, I said that women mostly do not want to out-earn their mates. And that might possibly be that some of those women know that their mate would not want to be out-earned. Either way its created a powderkeg. Three decades ago the statistics for infidelity in marriages showed a clear bias towards men being the primary philanderers. Now, it is just about equal. Men and women have not changed in any significant way since 1980 except that there are a LOT more unemployed men now than then. A woman who out-earns her male mate is empowered to behave much like men did when they out-earned their women. That's the economics of it. The biology of it hasn't caught up to the economic realities. Men can often react much more violently to the occurrence of infidelity than women.

H

Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
So many stereotypes by certain posters. I don't care if I out earned a man I might marry, why should I? I am also very religious and very educated so not sure where this idea that religious women aren't educated came from. I have a masters and several computer certifications yet I teach religious education at church. I am no submissive women nor am I a radical feminist (I consider myself a feminist though as I believe in equality).

Old 09-17-2013, 12:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I disagree. I wouldn't care to out earn my mate.
You wouldn't care to out-earn your mate or you don't care if you out-earn your mate. Those are different sentences. If the second, I don't believe you. It sounds like you are talking in the abstract. If you said, I do out-earn my mate and it is not an issue. That would be one thing. But you didn't. You have no idea what that would be like or how you would deal with the reality of it. And, lets be clear, mostly it isn't an issue in MIDDLE CLASS households. The great majority of those 40% of households where the woman out-earns her mate are poverty level households and all that goes with that. Middle class Americans are even less disposed to dealing well with an income differential biased towards the woman. The guy will be forced into some kind of "house-husband" role, which he will pretend to enjoy... until he is found with a plastic bag over his head one day.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:52 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You wouldn't care to out-earn your mate or you don't care if you out-earn your mate. Those are different sentences. If the second, I don't believe you. It sounds like you are talking in the abstract. If you said, I do out-earn my mate and it is not an issue. That would be one thing. But you didn't. You have no idea what that would be like or how you would deal with the reality of it. And, lets be clear, mostly it isn't an issue in MIDDLE CLASS households. The great majority of those 40% of households where the woman out-earns her mate are poverty level households and all that goes with that. Middle class Americans are even less disposed to dealing well with an income differential biased towards the woman. The guy will be forced into some kind of "house-husband" role, which he will pretend to enjoy... until he is found with a plastic bag over his head one day.

I out earned my last mate. And money wasn't the reason we broke up. I didn't even know I was making more until he told me. It was really a non issue.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
Wowzer. That was...interesting? Aside from anyone's personal beliefs (and I'll admit that mine are about 100% opposite of the blog author's), did anyone catch that the author quoted a female doctor in this blog? It's an article about how women should not go to college, and he referenced a female doctor who clearly had to go to college to earn her degree in order to give his article more relevance.

Again, wowzer.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 5,365,025 times
If a reason to avoid college is exposure to sin then we can't send men, either.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:01 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
6 reasons to not send your daughter to college:

You are an idiot, and maybe she is, too
You are a sexist idiot
You are an unbelievably sexist idiot pig
You are an unbelievably small-minded sexist idiot pig
Any combination of the above
You simply can't afford it (but you help her find a way)

Old 09-20-2013, 07:09 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?
If the Huff Po had not linked to the original blog entry, would anyone have read it?

I don't believe the website has a very large audience in the first place, and anyone who would take advice such as "don't send your daughter to college" has a screw loose in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education