Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 01:13 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Recruited for HS football? That is illegal in Colorado!
A few years ago there was a private school here in Delaware doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 01:34 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,880 times
Quote:
My husband also hires engineers (new grads and experienced ones) and I asked him about the above, not five minutes ago. He gave me a funny look. I further "led the witness" and said, "I don't suppose you care unless they list something illegal as a hobby". He said "Cannabis cultivation" (we know someone who was arrested for this) and I reminded him under certain circumstances, that's not illegal in Colorado any more. Seriously, I have also been on hiring committees, and we don't pay attention to the hobbies and outside activities of the people we hire. I suppose it might come up if someone lists a hobby that seems very time consuming and might take a lot of time away from work. The most I've ever been asked, and this is in nursing, not engineering, is "What do you do for stress management?" We certainly don't care if someone did high school sports. High school is usually at least four years in the past.
I should clarify - I apologize for explaining myself poorly - my DH doesn't look for specific activities or necessarily even read the list of activities. He cares that there IS a list of activities. Certainly HS sports is not something they are looking for on a resume of a college graduate, but he is looking to see that you did other things besides school. The lower the GPA the more he will look to see that you did other things with your time.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Dave Logan, ex-NFL football player, local celebrity and high school football coach here in CO (his home), got fired from a Catholic High School for recruiting violations. He did get hired by a public HS. Thank G*d, he has a job! (That is sarcasm!)

Dave Logan linked by Mullen to recruiting violations at the school

Dave Logan officially named Cherry Creek football coach - The Denver Post

Old 10-19-2013, 01:47 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
As far as your remarks about dimension....maybe, maybe not. The kid whose peak like experience was playing on the state championship football team may not be all that "dimensional".

Kids that play high profile sports in high school, are identified as gifted athletes, and go on to play college sports can actually end up with very little dimension. They get lots of attention, and as a result don't have to cultivate some of the same life skills ordinary folks do. Is this true for all...no. The ones who end up getting in trouble...absolutely. I could write much more about it..but tried to keep it brief.
That was really just a comment based on the kids I know. There are shallow athletes for sure.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You mentioned earlier that another classmate, a football star, was now a delivery truck driver. Aren't any jocks from your school successful? Are you cherry-picking "losers" from your class, or are only wheezy nerds from your high school successful later in life?

Only 2 of all of the baseball, basketball, soccer, and football players from my HS days are in management/leadership type jobs that I am aware of. This does not support the theory that being on a sports team in high school will make you a leader later in life. The HS students who had little/no involvement in sports teams are the ones with a higher percentage of leadership jobs today.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:22 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Only 2 of all of the baseball, basketball, soccer, and football players from my HS days are in management/leadership type jobs that I am aware of.
OK. Thanks. You realize I'll have to disregard your anecdotes as constituting unscientific inside-the-box thinking. Having a "management/leadership type job" is not the only measure of success in this world. I would ask, do they have happy home lives and are they contributing to society? A delivery truck driver or a paint salesman could easily be a better person than the CEO of the company they work for.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:27 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,223 times
Quote:
When my son was being recruited the very first question every single coach asked him was "How are your grades?"
Good coaches!.....at least prospective student-athletes and their parents are starting off on the right foot in choosing a school. It gives some confidence that the schools and its sports administration are operating with integrity. I hope your son had a great experiece.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:56 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Recruited for HS football? That is illegal in Colorado!
No-college. It's illegal to recruit kids for HS football in most states (if not all). It's definitely not permitted by FHSAA (the governing athletic association for most of the schools in FL).

Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
No-college. It's illegal to recruit kids for HS football in most states (if not all). It's definitely not permitted by FHSAA (the governing athletic association for most of the schools in FL).
That's what I thought, it was college. I will point out your son is going to a high-academic college.
These Are The Geekiest Colleges According To HerCampus' 2013 Ranking
10. Case Western Reserve University

I have a feeling the interview would have been different at say, Ohio State.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
That's what I thought, it was college. I will point out your son is going to a high-academic college.
These Are The Geekiest Colleges According To HerCampus' 2013 Ranking
10. Case Western Reserve University

I have a feeling the interview would have been different at say, Ohio State.
Yes-when my son posted it to his facebook page he commented that he was surprised they weren't ranked higher!

But seriously, almost all kids who are recruited are asked about grades. College coaches want them to be able to pass their classes in college. They also need to be able to pass the NCAA Clearinghouse. The top D1 football schools have lots of academic support for players. They have so much riding on the academic success of the kids so coaches do ask about grades with football players even at the big time programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education