U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,258,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia12;31612317[B
]Based on my observation (and biased judgment ), some parents genuinely think that investing time and/or money into their kids' school, would be a gain for everybody. I also saw some who seem to do it only because they are very ambitious and want to know everything about what goes on in the classroom and how their kids measure in comparison with "the competitors" (aka the other kids).

However, both categories appear to have a strong and specific purpose in mind when spending time at their kids' school, and I don't remember seeing anybody hanging around just because they did not have much else to do.

For my part, I did not volunteer at all last year, although I would have liked to, but I had to take care of other important things. At the same time, my daughter needed special attention for the most part of the year, and her (public) school was extremely accommodating and willing to support us in every way they could. Therefore, this year, having a much easier schedule, I thought it would only be normal for me to go there and try to help the teachers. I am only doing little things, like copying and stapling materials, but I am happy they can use their time on doing something else, even on resting. This means they will have more positive energy to spread in the classroom.
And you know what? It doesn't really matter that much WHY some of these parents do so much, as long as they are being helpful.
When my kids were in elementary school, we volunteers got no training whatsoever, it was just get in there and start working. Now, my kids' school does a session on confidentiality, and does a background check as well.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-01-2013 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: fixed bold
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 01:56 PM

34,648 posts, read 17,974,455 times
I'm taking a day off of work on the 11th to volunteer at my childrens' school, because they have requested assistance from parents with their "Watch Dogs" program.

If I didn't have to work, I'd be there volunteering fairly often. Since I have to take off of work, I'll probably go up there 4 times total this year. BTW, I had to clear a background check and purchase an "official" shirt.

My guess is that if there were "problem" parents, the administration would take care of that.

Going by the OP's own statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
They "volunteer" to help the librarian or what have you.
It sounds like he/she is a busy-body complaining about other perceived busy-bodies.

If they are volunteering to help the librarian, it seems they deserve your praise and not your ridicule.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:57 PM

34,648 posts, read 17,974,455 times
Oh, and if anybody is interested, here is the link to the Watch Dogs program that our school just implemented.

FATHERS.COM - WATCH D.O.G.S.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:05 PM

17,086 posts, read 10,897,098 times
I think that no matter what motivates them to show up, it's generally a good thing to have parents available to help out at school and teachers are almost always very appreciative.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 AM

35,822 posts, read 35,635,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Really now? Volunteering does two things, it gives the volunteer something meaningful to do and it helps someone/something in an area they need assistance. Don't know what you are so uptight about, these people are not hurting you. I'm really don't get your distain.
You missed the "bored" part from the original poster. The purpose of volunteering isn't to give the volunteer self-esteem/relieve boredom. It's to help other people.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:14 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,258,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You missed the "bored" part from the original poster. The purpose of volunteering isn't to give the volunteer self-esteem/relieve boredom. It's to help other people.
So what? If the volunteer is accomplishing something positive and helpful, WHO CARES if s/he is doing it for personal fulfillment, to pad a resume, or whatever? Can you look into someone's heart and tell WHY they are doing something? Good for you!

Old 10-02-2013, 12:53 PM

3,624 posts, read 4,951,534 times
Kind of a non issue. If the volunteer is damaging the students or the school by her presence the school will take care of it. Most schools really need help and will welcome even "bored housewifes" with open arms because it is true that 10% of the people do 90% of the work.

I volunteered at our small private school in many ways for many years and was called upon often when I didn't, all while running my own business. I:
taught art for a year once a week and continued volunteering
took kids on field trips
made programs and literature
worked on benefits committee yearly raising thousands
taught sign language
and many more areas. All of which were greatly appreciated.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:32 PM

12,881 posts, read 29,586,946 times
If you think about it, this thread could be put anywhere with the question, "Why volunteer?" We have all kinds of people volunteer at the non-profit where I work. We never ask for the purity of their reasons, we just ask them to do the work.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 PM

32,354 posts, read 35,717,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Nothing wrong with volunteering because you are bored. People do all sorts of awesome things when they are bored. Sometimes I eat, which isn't so awesome. Volunteering would be better for everyone, don't you agree? Your "purpose" for volunteering seems to be something you are making up in your head. I just don't know why.

PS I found City Data because I was bored one day.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:50 AM

501 posts, read 771,498 times
Quote:
taught art for a year once a week and continued volunteering
taught sign language

Regarding teaching kids stuff, shouldn't the school have actual teachers teaching the kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or