U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 AM

16,473 posts, read 11,984,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I volunteered at our small private school in many ways for many years and was called upon often when I didn't, all while running my own business. I:
taught art for a year once a week and continued volunteering
took kids on field trips
made programs and literature
worked on benefits committee yearly raising thousands
taught sign language
and many more areas. All of which were greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Regarding teaching kids stuff, shouldn't the school have actual teachers teaching the kids?
Notice the bold, it is not unusual for private schools do this. It is generally a once or twice a week thing or limited in some other way. There is nothing wrong with it. Private schools aren't even required to have credentialed teachers as the primary teacher, let alone for enrichment classes. If the parents had an issue with it, the school wouldn't have allowed it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 02:01 PM

17,086 posts, read 10,858,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You missed the "bored" part from the original poster. The purpose of volunteering isn't to give the volunteer self-esteem/relieve boredom. It's to help other people.
Sometimes when I'm bored, I surf the internet, but it would probably be a much more constructive use of my time and effort to shelf some books in the elementary school library, don't you think?

Old 10-03-2013, 02:40 PM

16,691 posts, read 19,270,651 times
Quote:
Regarding teaching kids stuff, shouldn't the school have actual teachers teaching the kids?
[/indent]
My daughter was pulled out for Great Books and that was run by PTA parents who took the training.
My son learned to play chess from parents who taught it.

Sign Language is not usually offered, so if the PTA has parents who want to teach it why not?
Also art is now being cut so special art teachers might not be available. Parents can teach it if they happen to be qualified and want to do it.

It's not like the parent was teaching the academic subjects.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:07 AM

994 posts, read 1,357,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
If a woman's husband has such a great job that she can hang out at her kids' school, why the heck wouldn't she??? How much Zumba can the average housewife take anyway?
Ha! That made me laugh out loud.

When I was in grade school (we're talking early 2000s and a private k-8 school) the moms who were always hanging around the school were housewives. They also tended to be mild to severe helicopter parents. So, volunteering at your kid's school is a good way to pass time AND not be too far from your beloved child, I suppose.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 PM

19,399 posts, read 17,523,290 times
Quote:
We had a PTA-sponsored Great Artist program at our kids' elementary school, taught by trained parents. No art history was taught by teachers in K-5 in our public schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
My daughter was pulled out for Great Books and that was run by PTA parents who took the training.
My kids' elementary school had a program similar to this that definitely encouraged reading.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,675,720 times
Just like anything else, there can be good and bad volunteers. Definitely some are intrusive. Our old PTO president had an inappropriate(no not like that, very buddy-buddy) relationship with the principal that was clear for anyone to see. This individual also lied in order to cover up some inappropriate conduct by a couple of teachers at the school.

So most of the time I think volunteers are so good. But when someone gets so invested in their volunteering they start also volunteering to lie, it goes horribly wrong.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:37 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,197,700 times
Normally, I would be under the "volunteers=good" camp. However, there can be ulterior motives.

In my primary school years (1994-2001), the line between volunteers and faculty became extremely blurred where teacher placement and discretion were concerned. The PTA through the gossip channel soon got access to who was having issues at home, disability/medical (basically what are now IEPs), grades & awards, and other things you'd not want publicised. A couple of times, the PTA managed to get a few promising game changers fired/run out. Invariably, the best/most popular teachers got a room full of PTA kids. Unfortunately, my family was the subject of gossip.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:38 PM

218 posts, read 246,126 times
Default Another POV....

I was a very active school volunteer during my daughter's elementary education years. I volunteered several times a week, usually for a 2 hour period. Many times, the teachers asked me to stay longer or to come in more often.

For those of you who think school volunteers are bored SAHM's with nothing better to do, I offer you some valuable insight.

1. Field trips/plays/school parties - when you couldn't be at the field trip (for whatever reason) and your little Susie/Johnie was crying for some reason...who do you think comforted your child? Instead of spending time interacting with my child, I interacted with the upset or misbehaving child (ren) who needed extra attention. By doing so, I freed the teacher to teach or interact with parents. YOU'RE WELCOME.

2. Lessons -Many students lag behind in a subject or two (even in "better" school districts). I offered FREE tutoring to your child on a one-on-one basis. It was necessary because you were too busy, too tired, or ignorant of the fact your child was falling behind. I was a designated math tutor twice per week. Many of the students who were behind failed to even do the required homework on a regular basis. YOU'RE WELCOME.

3. It is usually the same parents who volunteer a majority of the time. And it's only a handful of parents, at best. Guess who "worked" for free during their "bored" hours fundraising, setting up field trips, baking, running sponsor activities, chairing the annual charitable Gala, etc? I desperately tried to find parent volunteers. When I would pass on something, the teachers or administration would express their frustration with the lack of parent volunteers and lack of teacher time. Most of the time I picked up the extra tasks because the teachers/school/students really needed the help. YOU'RE WELCOME.

4. When the classroom needed extra supplies, holiday or event decorating, help with lunches, walking kids to the nurse/library/lunch room/ language class/ music class.... guess who put their time, energy, and money into helping out? That's right. The bored volunteer you complain about. There were many times when parents promised to come in for an hour, but failed to show up and the teacher asks you because she/he knows you'll stay longer. YOU'RE WELCOME.

I never minded helping out my daughter's school. I felt it was a privileged to get to know the people who had a lot of influence on my child. I did begin to resent teacher/administration guilt trips and other parents who failed to pull their weight yet had a complaint about every little thing. There is a small contingent of parents who will complain about everything yet offer no solutions or even help out. Entitled parents.

When my daughter "graduated" middle school, the school offered me a job as their finance director or as an educator. I turned them down. Although I truly loved the school, the teachers, the administration, the students, most of the parents, etc..... I didn't want to deal with "entitled" parents. No way! LOL!

Teachers are very busy these days and can use the help. There are many students who need to be tutored and their parent are not able to help and/or cannot afford a tutor. I was happy to be a part of it all.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:56 PM

28,900 posts, read 48,690,844 times
It's a tricky question.

Some volunteering is essential. But there are the Moms you mentioned who are always there. I think the problem with that is there is a fine line between helping your child's school and smothering your child.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:57 PM

2,949 posts, read 3,413,115 times
I appreciate the idea of volunteering, but in most schools I've been involved in, it's usually the corporate-turned-SAHM types who have the need to feel Very Important and thus are constantly. at. school. doing whatever they can get their noses into, regardless of whether there's an actual need. I think there's a difference between actually helping and just being there because you can, or need to fulfill some sort of void of importance you don't have as a SAHM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or