Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:09 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I know, sounds like a question a teen would post. Rest assured, I'm a parent of a young daughter.

I've noticed that certain people I know seem to spend a lot of time at their kids school. In my opinion, they don't have much else to do with their life. They "volunteer" to help the librarian or what have you.

I'm wondering, how many parents hang out at their kids school volunteering because they don't have much to do? Does the staff ever find a need to shoe these parents away?
I have 3 words for them: Get a job.

It seems like Obamacare is creating all of these part-time jobs that used to be full time jobs so they should be able to find something. Volunteering isn't meant to exist just to keep mothers from being bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 02:14 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

It seems like Obamacare is creating all of these part-time jobs that used to be full time jobs so they should be able to find something. Volunteering isn't meant to exist just to keep mothers from being bored.
Really now? Volunteering does two things, it gives the volunteer something meaningful to do and it helps someone/something in an area they need assistance. Don't know what you are so uptight about, these people are not hurting you. I'm really don't get your distain.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:08 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Are you kidding me? Strong school volunteerism and school-parent partnerships create better schools and a better learning environment. I have a job and I also volunteer. Many of my volunteer friends are highly educated teachers, lawyers, doctors, business owners, etc. who are volunteering in their schools, on sports teams, in the community etc. in order to GIVE BACK and make the world a better place. It is rarely the choice of either volunteering part-time or working at McDonald's part-time. I find your post both offensive and small-minded.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:20 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Are you kidding me? Strong school volunteerism and school-parent partnerships create better schools and a better learning environment. I have a job and I also volunteer. Many of my volunteer friends are highly educated teachers, lawyers, doctors, business owners, etc. who are volunteering in their schools, on sports teams, in the community etc. in order to GIVE BACK and make the world a better place. It is rarely the choice of either volunteering part-time or working at McDonald's part-time. I find your post both offensive and small-minded.

When I worked in a charter school, there was a volunteer requirement for all parents (exceptions were made for military deployed, single parents, etc...). Their belief was the same as GoCubs posted, strong parental involvement means better schools.

I work full-time and I'm a Girl Scout leader. I have about 30 girls in my troop because the parents have seen how committed I am to the program. I don't do it because I'm bored (I could use the free time) or that I don't have friends of my own. In fact, I've made MORE friends because of my involvement and I've helped my girls gain skills that they couldn't get elsewhere.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:51 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times
Most of the schools are desperate for volunteers, and usually stay-at-home mothers are the only parents who have the time. I appreciate any time they give to my kid's school. We probably wouldn't have a thriving PTA without them.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:21 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Thanks, West Seattle, I appreciate it. When my daughter's teacher asked me to be room mother, I at first said no and then she told me she'd already asked most everyone else and no one would do it. I realized I should say yes--and just take my turn! It has been a sacrifice, and I probably could have gotten a part time job instead, but I chose to help the school. Is that so wrong? I do not understand the resentment toward volunteers on here. Are those folks envious? Having trouble justifying their own decisions? I'm volunteering as a season in life, my kids are only young once, and when they're older I'll volunteer elsewhere or work...

Old 09-28-2013, 07:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've asked the same question. At a previous school, there were several of us parents who quit volunteering because of the PTO moms. These ladies would show up with their kids in the morning and still be there in the afternoon at pickup time. There was a lot of inappropriate gossip, confidential information that perhaps wasn't kept confidential enough, parents trying to show off their "wealth", and moms who seemed to live vicariously through their kids. It was the mean girls club.
I saw this in one elementary school in particular. Principals and teachers aren't immune to being impressed by wealth. They knew far too much private information about the students and were quick to share. Their kids ran around like they owned the school.

My philosophy - if you can't beat 'em; join 'em. I ended up being on the Executive Board of the PTA because I didn't want my kid to be left out.

This only lasted through elementary school - these same Moms have a much tougher time in middle and high school ~ hanging around the school all day.

Not that parent volunteers aren't needed; they are. But - some are there to volunteer and some are there to further their (and their kids') social agenda.

I would encourage every single parent to volunteer. IF you do, I strongly believe it gives your child an advantage in elementary school.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:07 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:

I was a SAHM and didn't want or need to "get a job". I hope that doesn't make you jealous.

Obamacare has nothing to do with anything here. What attention are you seeking exactly?

I spent a lot of time at my kids school because I was a SAHM and didn't work and had the time. Yes, it kept me from being bored sometimes but mostly I enjoyed doing it. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't have done it...see? Unlike a job I called my own shots most of the time and didn't need to be on someone else's schedule. Of course I didn't get paid either, or much anyway (I did have a teeny tiny paid position with the school district for a couple years) but I didn't mind. I wasn't one to hang around all day but sometimes schools can be a social hub where moms/dads got to talk to other moms/dads so I never worried about anyone who did.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 AM

306 posts, read 451,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I'm wondering, how many parents hang out at their kids school volunteering because they don't have much to do?
Based on my observation (and biased judgment ), some parents genuinely think that investing time and/or money into their kids' school, would be a gain for everybody. I also saw some who seem to do it only because they are very ambitious and want to know everything about what goes on in the classroom and how their kids measure in comparison with "the competitors" (aka the other kids).

However, both categories appear to have a strong and specific purpose in mind when spending time at their kids' school, and I don't remember seeing anybody hanging around just because they did not have much else to do.

For my part, I did not volunteer at all last year, although I would have liked to, but I had to take care of other important things. At the same time, my daughter needed special attention for the most part of the year, and her (public) school was extremely accommodating and willing to support us in every way they could. Therefore, this year, having a much easier schedule, I thought it would only be normal for me to go there and try to help the teachers. I am only doing little things, like copying and stapling materials, but I am happy they can use their time on doing something else, even on resting. This means they will have more positive energy to spread in the classroom.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:36 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia12 View Post
I am only doing little things, like copying and stapling materials, but I am happy they can use their time on doing something else, even on resting. This means they will have more positive energy to spread in the classroom.
Thank you - they may seem like little things but it really helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education