Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,084 times

Advertisements

I have a question for parents & teachers....

We live in a fairly small community, most of the children that go to our elementary school all live in 2 different housing developments. So, pretty much everyone knows eachother or has at least heard names & faces are familiar.
Many of the teachers at the elementary & middle schools also live within this community so it is very common to see them on the weekends at soccer games, football games,and during the Summer at the private pool club within our development.
Most of the teachers are always so warm & friendly when they see their students & families out & about.
There are however, a few, that are really just downright rude. They will barely acknowledge the parents but worse, their students- past or present. I think it is horrible.
My oldest & I were at the community YMCA & one of her past teachers was there & she did everything she could to obviously not have to speak to my daughter! She practically hid from her and then when it was too hard for her to avoid us any longer, she said " oh , I didn't even see you". Please.
This isn't the only time she has done something like that, last Spring we were at a soccer game & she ( at this time- she WAS my daughter's teacher) & my daughter spotted her and was excited, as kids typically are when they see their teachers outside of school, she ran up to her & her teacher said "hi" and walked off!
Several other parents have shared similar experiences with her and another teacher acting the same way.

I am sure that they would like an "escape" from their work environment, I get that. However, if you, as a teacher, make the decision to either accept a position in the community/ district you live in or choose to make your home in that same district, then you must accept & acknowledge that your students are going to be around. How terrible my daughter felt when her teacher basically blew her off.
I don't need to have a long winded conversation with their teacher, but they need to be respectful.

I am not trying to criticize teachers as a whole, I fully respect what they do & how hard they work. I would feel the same way no matter who it is, but because it is a teacher, they are obviously someone that our children look up to and they need to remember that. My daughter's feelings were very hurt & she still talks about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
If you saw it happen and she ended up feeling obliged to say something why didn't you redirect your daughter elsewhere? You're the adult, its not the teachers fault for not wanting to be bothered outside of work.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-11-2013, 12:08 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
It's not the teacher in her, it is the personalty in her. Some people are just rude. Who knows the reason she behaves like she does? I suspect that there is a whole lot more going on in her life that you will ever know. Something totally unrelated to her profession.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:15 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I agree with the above poster. I'm a preschool teacher and if I see any of the kids out and about I always talk to them and their parents. Most of the teachers I know do. I think she may have been nervous or uncomfortable for some reason, but why, I wouldn't know.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:17 PM

I would agree, I don't know what is going on in her life, & if she was at least pleasant about it, that would be one thing. She is just rude and you know what, we all have challenges in iur lives, that doesn't justify being rude. Sorry.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
If you saw it happen and she ended up feeling obliged to say something why didn't you redirect your daughter elsewhere? You're the adult, its not the teachers fault for not wanting to be bothered outside of work.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
I was standing in front of the Front desk area at our YMCA finding out information about a program, she walked down the stairs directly in front of us, she saw us, and we had to cross paths to leave. I don't need to redirect my child away from a previous teacher because SHE is uncomfortable or whatever. She chose to live in the same community she teaches in, she is going to see her present & past students. She can be civil.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:31 PM

149 posts, read 203,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I was standing in front of the Front desk area at our YMCA finding out information about a program, she walked down the stairs directly in front of us, she saw us, and we had to cross paths to leave. I don't need to redirect my child away from a previous teacher because SHE is uncomfortable or whatever. She chose to live in the same community she teaches in, she is going to see her present & past students. She can be civil.
ummm, the earth doesn't rotate around your childs feelings.

forget that teacher, or why she is that way. it simply doesn't matter, her private time is her private time and she has zero obligation to acknowledge you or your child around town.

like the person you've quoted here mentioned you need to be the parent here and direct your child elsewhere in a situation like that.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Wow. You know, I have always been happy to see my students, present and former, out and about. And I always talk to them when I do see them, but understand something, I am not required to do so. She has every right to her space and privacy. She has no obligation to talk to your child outside of the school environment. When you saw the teacher trying to avoid your child you should have told your child "Mrs. So-and-so is busy right now doing something with her daughter, please leave her alone." Believe it or not, some teachers' children get tired of sharing their mother with every child under the sun, especially when they are supposed to be spending time with them. I've had friends who have had that problem and one of my own occasionally would get annoyed about it. This would have been a good opportunity for you to teach your child to respect the privacy and space of others when they give off signals that they don't want to be disturbed. It's called common courtesy, and it is a very valuable skill for every person to learn.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:53 PM

Common courtesy is saying "hello". She is in a public place, we are not intruding on her personal space. give me a break.
The world of course does NOT revolve around my child's feelings & I of course did tell my daughter that she ( her teacher) was probably just busy.

All I am saying is that it takes more effort for her to avoid her students then it would be for her to just be pleasant & say a brief " Hello, Susie, how are you, it is nice to see you" that's it.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Wow. You know, I have always been happy to see my students, present and former, out and about. And I always talk to them when I do see them, but understand something, I am not required to do so. She has every right to her space and privacy. She has no obligation to talk to your child outside of the school environment. When you saw the teacher trying to avoid your child you should have told your child "Mrs. So-and-so is busy right now doing something with her daughter, please leave her alone." Believe it or not, some teachers' children get tired of sharing their mother with every child under the sun, especially when they are supposed to be spending time with them. I've had friends who have had that problem and one of my own occasionally would get annoyed about it. This would have been a good opportunity for you to teach your child to respect the privacy and space of others when they give off signals that they don't want to be disturbed. It's called common courtesy, and it is a very valuable skill for every person to learn.
My best friend from college is a teacher who also happens to live in a planned community where many of her students live. Never have I witnessed her being rude to one of them nor have I witnessed her 2 daughters caring that their mother has a brief conversation w/ a student outside of school.
I am not talking about high school students here people, these are elementary school & transition ( or middle school-6th graders) I am talking about.
My daughhter understands the difference between common courtesy and being rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education