Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 PM

194 posts, read 300,283 times

Advertisements

Teachers,

In your classes what do you do when students pull out their iPhone, iPod, 3DS (as they inevitably do). Do you let it slide, or make a giant fuss etc Do you even see it as a problem & if you do what would you do to resolve it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 10:44 PM

192 posts, read 257,877 times
No way in all thats worth living for would I allow that in a classroom. Why even have a class at all then? INSIST the phone be off no exceptions until class is dismissed, and make that class something those brats will remember the rest of their lives. This is your time to shine it's your dam career! Make it worth a life and do it right; come down hard and fast on these kids now or they will end up in drug rehabs and interment camps. For heavens sake every economist in the country says we've got another major downturn ahead, most of these kids will never work in any chosen field! You have to make them wake up to reality and get some discipline. NO CELL PHONES, and if I ever sign up for any class that allows such a heinous acts while I'm trying to learn in a one on one, actually show up for class and get a degree at 2000 a credit, I'll be damed if I'm going to tolerate that. Id drop class first day. You can get a degree today from Harvard extension school online and thousands of other colleges today, then they can yack on their cell phones all they want, at home, while I'm trying to do it the real way in a hopefully inspirational classroom environment!

Old 10-20-2013, 02:17 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
I tell them to put it away but since I'm not allowed to take it from them, unless they voluntarily give it to me, I can't really do anything about it. I can ask for the device but if they don't give it to me the office will do nothing other than tell them they should hand it over next time so the penalty is less for not handing to me than it is for handing it to me. If they hand it to me, I take it to the office and a parent has to come pick it up. This is one loop hole our kids quickly learn and use to their advantage.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I'm not a teacher but i would let the class know that the classroom is a cellphone free zone,
If i catch you using one i'll invite you to leave the class for the rest of the period..

Old 10-20-2013, 04:35 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm not a teacher but i would let the class know that the classroom is a cellphone free zone,
If i catch you using one i'll invite you to leave the class for the rest of the period..
If only I had administration that would support that.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I cant believe that it would be ok for kids to chatter on their cell phones in class.. but then again at 65yrs old its been a long time since i was in school,i guess things have changed..

Old 10-20-2013, 07:10 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I cant believe that it would be ok for kids to chatter on their cell phones in class.. but then again at 65yrs old its been a long time since i was in school,i guess things have changed..
I'm with you! I graduated HS in '63 and 'back then' we were expected to respect authority, do our classwork/homework, not talk in class, etc. And, being sent to the Principal's office not something any of us wanted; and if it did happen, our parents would definitely let us know we needed to straighten up. Being a teacher in today's world is not anything I'd wish on anyone.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
They're not allowed, so they'd be removed.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
backtothefuture - What level of education are you asking about? College or High School?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:03 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
The rules for mobile devices in the classrooms will vary depending on the district, the school, and the teacher. You'll find OP that you'll get tons of different responses.

If you are referring to K-12 education, we have had teachers who went so far as to confiscate phones if they saw them... to teachers who could care less and had a "if the kid wants to learn it's their business" attitude. It's really been all over the place.

At the college level, what we have experienced most often are instructors who don't care - it's up to you to learn and if you waste your time allowing yourself to be distracted by your phone and you do poorly in that class that's your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education