Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 04:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,256,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

One of my employees said "At MIT they taught us to think.

If I had an employee who said that to me I'd have replied, "My parents started teaching me that when I was a kid." Were you supposed to be impressed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 PM

5,372 posts, read 5,173,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
Your questions ring with the unschooling philosophy. What is Unschooling? | Unschooling.com

I think that for someone like yourself: motivated and interested in learning; unschooling is a viable alternative to traditional education. My entire career was in education and I've often questioned the necessity and wisdom of pouring a vast number of subjects into a person's head, only to then encourage them to specialize in one career field. Teaching a core curricula of subjects that overlap all fields is essential, for example reading and writing is wise. But to require two years of algebra and one year of geometry may, and I repeat MAY, not be necessary for all, nor the best use of educational resources.

Your question, Does lots of education for everybody really make everybody more knowledgeable? When I look back on my own career, when I earned my PhD and became an Assistant Dean of Education, my educational focus narrowed.

I once talked to a neurosurgeon who performs delicate gamma brain surgery, but had no idea how to replace the dome light in his car. Does his inability to change a light bulb indicate he's educationally lacking?
Again, it's not that I had a problem with traditional schooling, I liked school, its just that I wish there was some way that I could get my non school accredited learning recognized. The unschooling does seem like a good alternative for those who don't like traditional schools because they got bored or whatever.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:10 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,416,398 times
That is the point of a good Reading List. It is possible to learn more and faster than the schools teach. Are the schools designed to keep people ignorant in the officially approved manner.

How can double-entry accounting be older than Shakespeare but not even suggested to most high school students but 4 years of English Lit is required?

How many high school graduates know what Net Worth is or what an Amortization Schedule is?

The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh From the Lemonade Stand
http://www.exceltip.com/book-1570713960.html
Foolish Book Review: "The Accounting Game"

Radically Simple Accounting by Madeline Bailey
QC Computing. Making Your Business More Profitable

The trouble is you can't find the excellent books for all of the garbage that is in the way.

psik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education