U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 04:40 PM

6,722 posts, read 7,554,437 times

Advertisements

As a teacher I found that many parents were intimidated and did not ask a lot of questions. This always bugged me, because I knew they had questions and concerns. So I always recommend writing down things you are interested in hearing.

Socially- how is my child doing socially in the classroom? Do they play with others at recess or stations? Do they have any special friends in the classroom?

Work habits- How are their work habits? Are they able to stay on task during independent work time? Do they use their time well or procrastinate?

Are they participating during group time?

What are some things they need to work on academically?
What are some things they need to work on socially?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 PM

317 posts, read 540,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
My first parent/teacher conference is this week. My son is in Kindergarten. There was a mix up on the time and I had to reschedule. When rescheduling my son's teacher told me that I should bring him with me as it's student led. I have mixed feelings on bringing him.

Have you taken your kids to your parent/teacher conferences? If so what age were they?
... mixed feelings in terms of...???

Is it better to talk about your child behind their back?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:07 PM

7,672 posts, read 11,586,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
... mixed feelings in terms of...???

Is it better to talk about your child behind their back?
It's not talking about them behind their back. lol It's a way for the teacher to bring up issues (if there are any) and the parent can work on them WITH their child. Or maybe parents knowing their kids have issues at home can ask teacher if he or she sees it in the classroom etc. There are a myriad of reasons why teacher and parent conferences will be more effective/productive without said child there.

Did you have that bad of a conference to color your view?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:22 PM

16,833 posts, read 16,145,012 times
My school finally did away with conferences. They are a waste of time in high school.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 PM

317 posts, read 540,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
It's not talking about them behind their back. lol It's a way for the teacher to bring up issues (if there are any) and the parent can work on them WITH their child. Or maybe parents knowing their kids have issues at home can ask teacher if he or she sees it in the classroom etc. There are a myriad of reasons why teacher and parent conferences will be more effective/productive without said child there.

Did you have that bad of a conference to color your view?
No I'm just curious why it would be a problem to have the child there... I can't see it but I could be missing something...

I've been there, done that (as a teacher) and think it's fantastic to engage parent and child in the same conversation. For the child, you can win them over through them seeing you be nice to their parent, and for the parent you can likewise win over their support for if there ever comes a time when you need them to work with you to develop their child... keeping each person separate just seems... ?

I guess I see a myriad of reasons why teacher and parent conferences will be more effective/productive with said child there. Strangely enough, my reasons are probably identical to yours - just looked at differently.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 PM

16,033 posts, read 24,792,014 times
If it is a student led conference I don't see why you are hesitant. If you have questions for the teacher, why not set another date/time?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 AM

7,672 posts, read 11,586,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
No I'm just curious why it would be a problem to have the child there... I can't see it but I could be missing something...
I am not the OP but I have been in situations where I was wondering certain things that my kid could not clear up at home. So I asked the teacher privately and being alone with the teacher allowed her to tell me directly what happened/issue etc instead of sugar coating it because child was there listening.
Quote:
I've been there, done that (as a teacher) and think it's fantastic to engage parent and child in the same conversation. For the child, you can win them over through them seeing you be nice to their parent, and for the parent you can likewise win over their support for if there ever comes a time when you need them to work with you to develop their child... keeping each person separate just seems... ?
Wouldn't this happen in a classroom? Why do you have to win them over by being nice to their parents? I am curious about this tidbit. I never heard a teacher think/say that before.

It's a way for the parent and teacher to be able to talk freely about the concerns and then develop a plan to help. Sometimes, especially in a younger child, they won't understand it all and might be scared. Where as to adults, you are going through the scenarios and how to achieve the best result and then involve the child at the end to explain what the plan is and how to achieve it.

For an example, child isn't doing well in math facts timed tests. What are the repercussions if they don't learn their facts? Is it a delay of some sort as a warning sign to something bigger? Or just need a bit more practice etc? What are the best ways to learn it? By drilling? Online games etc. Then once it's been ruled out that it isn't a learning issue etc, then you bring in the child to say it in "child" friendly terms about what the plan is. Again I am talking about in the OP's scenario, where the child is young. Not for older kids.

But in the OP's case it has been clarified that this isn't a true teacher's conference and indeed a child led conference which the OP didn't know originally. I myself have never been to one where the child leads it. Those are usually on Language or Math nights where the kids lead the class on their items etc. But I am looking forward in hearing the update from the OP later when she attends.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:16 AM

5,807 posts, read 5,193,239 times
Quote:
I'm not sure. This will be my first and most likely last. I will update this after I go on Wednesday.
I'm interested to know why you say this will "most likely" be your last parent-teacher conference, before you've had the conference.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 AM

4,187 posts, read 10,866,466 times
Quote:
My first parent/teacher conference is this week. My son is in Kindergarten. There was a mix up on the time and I had to reschedule. When rescheduling my son's teacher told me that I should bring him with me as it's student led. I have mixed feelings on bringing him.

Have you taken your kids to your parent/teacher conferences? If so what age were they?
It depends on the teacher. Some like the approach of having the student there to make them feel that it's more of a discussion rather than parent and teacher talking about them. I actually like that approach.

Just understand that these are 15 minutes meeting so nothing major will get discussed. If anything, they should discussed separately.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,432,754 times
My children have attended four schools--all had a policy of no children allowed at the conference. Some provided childcare in the gymnasium, others required parents to come up with their own childcare. We moms usually just watched each others' children on the playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education