U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 AM

18,861 posts, read 13,826,562 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan of them. If everyone understands their purpose, which is to allow students to show their parents what they do, it's fine. For the well behaved child, who has no issues, it does give the parent, teacher, and child a chance to meet and reinforce that education matters, so I get the theory behind them. Unfortunately, not all kids fit into that category, and often their parents don't understand why this type of conference is not a good time discuss those issues. Some parents resent you "wasting their time" as their kid could have brought that stuff home and told them there. They really needed to be seen as open houses with a schedule, not conferences.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 09:03 AM

530 posts, read 1,089,434 times
I personally do not like the idea of student-led conferences and probably would think they are a waste of time because everything would have to be sugar coated in front of a child. The whole purpose of a conference to me is to discuss problems or in some cases academic strengths that I can encourage. I would not want to openly have these discussions in front of my child since it may either make them feel bad, or it may make them overly confident. I already have a pretty good idea how my kids are doing in school because I see their grades online, I look at some of their homework, and they talk about school a great deal. A student led conference would just tell me what I already know, and I would prefer for my kids to practice their speaking/leadership skills in other ways.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:54 AM

219 posts, read 459,574 times
Unless I can't attend due to having no childcare, then no, I wouldn't bring my son. If I had to bring him I'd have him sit in the hall with a book. IMO, there's a reason it's called a Parent-Teacher Conference, not a Student-Parent-Teacher Conference. ...

Old 10-30-2013, 08:00 PM

317 posts, read 540,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
I personally do not like the idea of student-led conferences and probably would think they are a waste of time because everything would have to be sugar coated in front of a child. The whole purpose of a conference to me is to discuss problems or in some cases academic strengths that I can encourage. I would not want to openly have these discussions in front of my child since it may either make them feel bad, or it may make them overly confident. I already have a pretty good idea how my kids are doing in school because I see their grades online, I look at some of their homework, and they talk about school a great deal. A student led conference would just tell me what I already know, and I would prefer for my kids to practice their speaking/leadership skills in other ways.
Why?

Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 PM

317 posts, read 540,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I am not the OP but I have been in situations where I was wondering certain things that my kid could not clear up at home. So I asked the teacher privately and being alone with the teacher allowed her to tell me directly what happened/issue etc instead of sugar coating it because child was there listening.

Wouldn't this happen in a classroom? Why do you have to win them over by being nice to their parents? I am curious about this tidbit. I never heard a teacher think/say that before.

It's a way for the parent and teacher to be able to talk freely about the concerns and then develop a plan to help. Sometimes, especially in a younger child, they won't understand it all and might be scared. Where as to adults, you are going through the scenarios and how to achieve the best result and then involve the child at the end to explain what the plan is and how to achieve it.

For an example, child isn't doing well in math facts timed tests. What are the repercussions if they don't learn their facts? Is it a delay of some sort as a warning sign to something bigger? Or just need a bit more practice etc? What are the best ways to learn it? By drilling? Online games etc. Then once it's been ruled out that it isn't a learning issue etc, then you bring in the child to say it in "child" friendly terms about what the plan is. Again I am talking about in the OP's scenario, where the child is young. Not for older kids.

But in the OP's case it has been clarified that this isn't a true teacher's conference and indeed a child led conference which the OP didn't know originally. I myself have never been to one where the child leads it. Those are usually on Language or Math nights where the kids lead the class on their items etc. But I am looking forward in hearing the update from the OP later when she attends.
I've worked in a school you are glad your kids don't attend and relationship building throughout the whole community went a long way. No, not all kids instinctively like or trust teachers. Yes, seeing their significant role models giving you the time of day and shaking your hand achieves more than a year of classroom engagement in some instances.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:21 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,608,780 times
In our preschool we request parents not bring their child. They are too young to really contribute anything to the conference, with older kids it may be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education