Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:33 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,736 times

Advertisements

I'd let him do both. He clearly has an aptitude for it, it will help him in terms of his career path of interest, and it sounds like it wouldn't be too much of a load. I know here in the US it's common to just take a single "foreign" language, but all my European friends speak their home language, then took English (usually) in school starting in elementary years and then picked up a third language in the middle school years. It's quite possible to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 06:41 PM

701 posts, read 1,691,910 times
Definitely. I took Spanish in middle school, switched to German freshman year, and added French my junior year. By my senior year I was taking language classes at the local college. I took all honors and AP courses for my other subjects as well (and I'm a terrible coaster as a general rule) and had an A average.

For a time I considered going into interpreting or translation but even though I didn't, learning that many languages has been incredibly useful. He'll be able to test out of language requirements in college, start out in advanced literature classes in those langauges, and any non-STEM graduate school program is going to require at least one foreign language if not two (sorry, I can't speak to requirements for STEM grad school). I got a PhD in musicology, specializing in early music, and I had to pass very difficult reading exams in German and French to get the degrees and needed enough knowledge of Latin to understand Biblical texts used in medieval and Renaissance music.

The poster who said your son would probably find Spanish easy in comparison to French is right. The languages are very similar for anyone with language aptitude (lots and lots of cognates, very similar grammar). I realize he wants to be with his friends, but German or Latin would both be good choices. German is good because it's basically the grammatical and vocabulary opposite of Spanish/French, and Latin because it will give a solid grounding for understanding the vocabulary of Spanish, French, and advanced English plus the grammatical challenges he'd get from German.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:51 PM

97 posts, read 145,865 times
A friend that does translations suggested he take 2 of the 6 languages that are on the UN list, that aren't English.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:23 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,448 times
That is awesome! I would encourage him to the moon and back. You can never know too many languages, and the sooner you start, the better - especially if he has an aptitude for FL, as you say.

Q bien!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 PM

27,460 posts, read 1,055,160 times
International Business
Multilingual editor, translator (multinational organizations: OAS, etc.)
Multilingual re travel-related careers
Multilingual attorney
Multilingual entertainer
Etc.

Confident, informed traveler
Broad media access
Etc.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:12 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
It is definitely possible, but he's going to have the challenge of sorting them out. He will find himself reaching for the word in Spanish, and at first French is going to come out. But he'll get used to it. It's very good for the brain to force it to study two languages at once. Hope he likes it.

He might want to take an accelerated Spanish class. Spanish is very easy compared to French, maybe the easiest foreign language to learn, for English speakers. He's going to find the class slow-moving, even at the honors level. He might be able to jump into second year Spanish, if he takes an intro summer Spanish class between 8th and 9th grade, or started doing some Spanish now on his own.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:33 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Excellent point

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
He's going to find the class slow-moving, even at the honors level. He might be able to jump into second year Spanish,
Exactly.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 PM

373 posts, read 589,655 times
Once you learn one foreign language well, the second one comes much easier. That kid's on the ball. Let him do it. Too bad Mandarin isn't an option. That'll be real important in his lifetime I bet.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:29 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
My son will be a H.S. freshman next year and has stated that he wants to take 2 foreign languages throughout high school. He will have to give up his study hall to do this.

He has been taking French for several years, so he will be placed in Honors French 2 as a freshman (the AP track). He also wants to add Spanish 1, which he has little background in. All his friends are taking Spanish and he sees how useful it is.

He seems to have an aptitude for languages. He picked up French very easily (straight A's) and has nearly a perfect accent (according to his teacher). He has always been good at voices/impersonations/music so that doesn't surprise me - he has a very good ear. He is a quick study on learning vocab, sentence structure, etc. He is interested in foreign travel, intl. politics, etc.

I am wondering if taking a full H.S. load with 2 foreign language courses, plus all Honors courses, will be too much. Should I encourage him to look at taking Spanish classes outside the high school? I have heard that the H.S. language courses are relatively easy (e.g. have heard they are an easy "A") compared to the other coursework he'll be taking.

Will it be confusing / overwhelming for him to be studying 2 languages at once? Does taking 2 languages give him any advantage in the college admissions process?

Just curious if anyone has experience/advice in this area.
Any kid with the drive and interest to replace a study hall with an additional academic class should be encouraged and supported to the fullest extent. Spanish and French are related languages. One will expand and deepen the learning of the other. Tell him he has your full support. Lucky you!!

Old 11-14-2013, 05:51 AM

303 posts, read 540,200 times
Tell him to go for it! An aptitude for languages is so useful. Spanish will probably come to him pretty easily after French, or at least that's how I felt though I started in Spanish and then moved to French. If he gets those two down, he can advance to more complicated, non-Romance languages in college (or before if he has the chance). I'd recommend one that isn't based on the Latin alphabet like Mandarin or Greek. I studied history and economics in college with a focus on Russia so I learned Russian. Not easy considering you study the alphabet half a semester alone (Cyrillic) but it's not a language you see everyday. Hope he has fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education