Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 03:50 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I would suggest these classes -

Basic home renovation
Basic car mechanics (and repair?)
Basic philosophy (plato's cave, virtue = pursuit of both moral and intelligence excellence, the philosophical mindset / approach which invented mathematics)
Basic psychology (not the clinical kind, the kind that talks about what's behind normal behaviors)
Very high level artificial intelligence (learn how we learn)
Basic programming (improve analytical thinking skills)
Arthur C. Clarke uses Plato's Allegory of the Cave in this book:

A Fall of Moondust

A future that never came: Arthur C. Clarke

Building this in grade school was useful also.

Amazon.com: Revell Visible V-8 Engine 1:4 Scale: Toys & Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8jirHtMHTk

It was better when I built it. Then it used an electric motor in the starter to turn the engine rather than a hand crank.

psik

Last edited by psikeyhackr; 11-18-2013 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 04:18 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just responding to your useless thread. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, after all you went skool and know the right answers. Don't have a clue about realities, but you're smart.
You're attacking me about things I'm not the one who actually said, with come backs such as I know all the right answers but am clueless - as if that is supposed to be an appropriate response to why we shouldn't be discussing what is taught in grade schools?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2013 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: removed the troll comment

Old 11-18-2013, 04:20 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
In later years of grade school, kids should be familiar with manipulating simple spreadsheets.

How many middle school kids even know what a spreadsheet is?

And, how many high school kids, college kids, and working adults DON'T have to know this?

More PE
More Math
More Science
More Information Technology
Less art
Less music
No history
No Literature
No cursive
Less art, less music, no history, no literature? Thats just sad.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Less art, less music, no history, no literature? Thats just sad.
I agree. Let's just produce robots with no heart.

I was a teacher and as I have said, I think kids should be exposed to a lot of subjects. When they're younger they're able to absorb a lot of things and it helps them to figure out what they like and what they don't like, what they're good at and what they're bad at.

Subjects like art and music can turn out to be really important to some kids whether the end up doing it for a living or now. I've know kids who only kept coming to high school because of art or music but it got them to stay in school and subjects like that enhance a lot of lives.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:36 PM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
You're attacking me about things I'm not the one who actually said, with come backs such as I know all the right answers but am clueless - as if that is supposed to be an appropriate response to why we shouldn't be discussing what is taught in grade schools?
There you go again about grade school. Then you had to change it a bit when it was pointed out that grade school generally encompasses Grades 1-6.

I can't figure out you guys that have all the answers and absolutely know what should be taught. Without much knowing what is actually taught and ignoring scope and sequence, not to mention cognitive development.

You didn't like some classes, that's usually why people want to change what's taught? So that's why you have this ideal schedule of classes.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2013 at 07:43 AM..

Old 11-18-2013, 04:59 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Damn, we've never seen this type of thread before, where a non-educator (but one who is an expert because he once went to school) telling teachers what should be taught and when. Of course nothing about Piaget and Stages of Cognitive Development is taken into account but, what the heck. And it wouldn't be complete without totally gutting the core of education in favor of STEM.

I think one of you guys who absolutely "knows" what needs to be done, especially teaching spreadsheets, should create a spreadsheet showing us your proposals.
If it's broke (which it is) then it must be fixed. Since the so called experts' methods aren't working, why not go back to methods that were working?

Old 11-18-2013, 05:57 PM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If it's broke (which it is) then it must be fixed. Since the so called experts' methods aren't working, why not go back to methods that were working?
What methods are those? All this thread is about is "stuff that should be taught instead of ___________" not a whole lot about methods.

You all think that the classroom people are the ones doing all this. Newsflash, we're not. Universities, think tanks, academics and now Bill Gates and other Lions of Industry are the ones that come up with the new methods, not teachers in the classroom. Research Pearson if you want to open your eyes. A UK company financed by Libya. Oh yeah, they're the ones developing most of the tests used now.

In fact, in a more than few school systems have gotten so detailed for curriculum that the model lessons (read that as "must do") have it right down to the day, as in "November 19, Page 207-215, questions to think about ________, __________, ____________. Recommended vocabulary___________. Time 33 minutes.".

Old 11-18-2013, 06:08 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
Dude our school system is government funded. It's not a free market, they don't just provide us the best education because we wouldn't pay for it otherwise. If you leave it to them to figure it out then they're going to design it to best fit their needs (or otherwise take it to the point where people stop complaining). Anything government related requires the people's participation if the people want it to be better for them.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 PM

373 posts, read 589,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
In later years of grade school, kids should be familiar with manipulating simple spreadsheets.

How many middle school kids even know what a spreadsheet is?

And, how many high school kids, college kids, and working adults DON'T have to know this?

More PE
More Math
More Science
More Information Technology
Less art
Less music
No history
No Literature*
No cursive
* I say no England literature (Beowolf - bah!).

I agree with no art and no music...that time used for math skills-and-drills, and more science (for boys) and housekeeping and cooking (for girls) Sorry. You'll see only one job available per household in their lifetimes, I'm afraid. Art and music is for after school, the parents' option to offer opportunities for that.

But I'd add: Gym class is strictly structured physical fitness a la 1960's. Nothing else. You got all weekend to participate in contact sports and that's if ya want to. Quit wasting kids' time. They'll learn how to squander their hard earned money on sporting event tickets anyway,all in good time.

We already have "no history" (50 yrs now) and we're clearly seeing the results of that.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
It's interesting that you're complaining about being "attacked" and yet you've put down a lot of other people's posts, including one of mine.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2013 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: Removed all comments referring to TOS and rude comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education