Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:33 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,001 times

Advertisements

Every. Single. One. of my teachers from K through 8 (8th grade is when teachers stopped writing comments) always wrote that I spoke wayyyyyy too much.

I honestly just couldn't keep my mouth shut. I always finished assignments before everyone and wanted to talk about it. I never really gossiped or said anything inappropriate, but when I finished a reading assignment, I'd wait, see my neighbor finished it too, and then talk to them about the assignment/homework! I also would talk about dumb things like tv shows, but whatever, kids are kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 11:00 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
jmgg is always talking in class. jmgg goes out to recess when his work isn't done.

You know, my guess is most of us on this site have gotten a note sent home on our report card stating that we talk too much in class. That's why we're yacking on here all the time.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:19 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Most public schools use standardized comments now in NYC. You choose a number, for example "9" and put that into the file. Then it will print out what that code is on the comment card, "Honor roll achieved in this subject."

Mine almost always said I needed to participate more because I was too quiet. Being shy and introverted is offensive, apparently.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:31 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
The thing that surprised me about this list is that it's clever, grammatically up-to-snuff, and contains no misspellings -- as far as I can see. Must be my bias, but I've heard that public school teachers in the Big Apple are barely literate. Maybe that's true for a small minority of them only.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:53 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I found early on, of our computer selections, the fewer the better.

There is a reason why a child is not doing well, and 99% of the time, it starts at home. I try to minimize contact with such losers, so anything I do, that might spawn a conference, I put aside.

I use only two:
"a pleausure to have in my class"
and
"chatty"

Most students get no comment. I wish I could be honest, if so, the above list, which is funny, would seem generous and quite complementary.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:38 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

There is a reason why a child is not doing well, and 99% of the time, it starts at home. I try to minimize contact with such losers, so anything I do, that might spawn a conference, I put aside.

I use only two:
and
"chatty"

Most students get no comment. I wish I could be honest, if so, the above list, which is funny, would seem generous and quite complementary.
Wow Maybe you should look for another job.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:21 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
The thing that surprised me about this list is that it's clever, grammatically up-to-snuff, and contains no misspellings -- as far as I can see. Must be my bias, but I've heard that public school teachers in the Big Apple are barely literate. Maybe that's true for a small minority of them only.
Of course, the list is fun, but bogus, and public school teachers in New York City are a far cry from barely literate.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:32 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
My teachers consistently commented throughout my school years like this:

Your Son is definitely one of the smartest and brightest kids in the class, BUT he can't stop talking and making jokes...he lacks focus at times and he distracts other students and gets them to focus on him!!!

Yikes.
My report cards from 40 some odd years ago read just like that. I had several careers and ended in the space industry working for name schools, government installations and corporations. I even juggled being a musician in there along the way.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Mine was just the opposite of the "too chatty".
I was "too quiet".

"A" student, did all my work, didn't cause any problems.
But I was "too quiet".

Old 11-30-2013, 12:24 PM

892 posts, read 1,576,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

I use only two:
and
"chatty"

It definitely starts at home....100%

My parents believe that "if a kid WANTS to be good in school....they will"......

I don't agree at all...if you leave it up to the kid to choose to be good in school or not- most kids will choose to goof off and act like kids.....that's what I did because no one did anything about it either way.

You have to make doing well in school a HABIT....and that starts early in age and AT HOME.....

If kids are already doing well in school because it's become A HABIT.....

Then the increased distractions of high school and teenage life will have less of a tendency to get them "off track" so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education