Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:59 PM

39 posts, read 107,358 times

Advertisements

It was middle school for me too. I came to school in fear each day because many of the bullies suspected that I was gay and harassed me for it. By high school, everyone was accepting and there was no more bullying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 05:00 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Gay bullying ended in ninth grade for some reason, in tenth grade everybody started coming out. One of the best things about living in NYC is how supportive people are if you're gay or bi.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:56 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,011,671 times
Interesting I think high school is worse because they can do more damage. My sister was bullied so badly in high school that she ended up having to switch schools and even then the girls wouldn't leave her alone. She ended up having to get a restraining order against these girls and the judge let the girls have it when they went to court.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:05 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,451,892 times
Worse in Middle School due to.
1) Human Social Development stages 12-15 puberty onset - angst of self identity definition/ discovery
2) Variance in Physical maturation rates means 'physical' bullying types have target rich environment (those with slow physical maturation rates)
3) Most middle schools in municipalities school systems become pools of a cities larger student population geography, bringing populations of former elementary students from different schools in contact with each other which causes tribal posturing / jockeying for social standing (of which bullying manifests as one form of this behavior)
4) Since Middle Schools tend to send the same groups onto the high school in unison (versus the elementary to MS transition) there seems a slightly lesser tribal social positioning.
5) As others mentioned in HS most tend to focus more in upper grades on college / career paths to some degree)
6) The non reforming bully delinquents (those lacking emotional maturation) usually engage in other illicit behaviors which tends to weed them out or have them removed, whether due to legal structure (prosecutable juvenile offenses) or parental / social services intervention

Ancillary topic: If you want to deter bullying somewhat, establish societal rites of passage that are more than getting an automobile drivers license, sexual experience, being able to vote, drink, smoke tobacco (not that people abide by the current ages deemed acceptable) - but rather, do something like an outward bound program with a team approach to compete against the elements of nature, think Spartan mindset with some oversight - or a 'chaperoned' Lord of The Flies scenario.

It would be good to establish self sufficiency in teams as a natural rite of passage.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:20 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
^ Worse in Middle School I think for the following reasons

1) Completely right about maturation rates. There are massive differences in maturation during that life period, and the highly developed kids have an enormous advantage that is going to disappear in high school.

2) Kids who are bullied have less emotional maturity to deal with their situation, as compared to their older peers.

3) Weeding out of some bullies by natural selection such as juvy or dropping out.

4) Other bullies become too focused on SATs and their careers.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
We also had worse penalties for various behavior in HS...more people were in varsity sports and other activities that they cared about, and you'd be suspended from teams and participation if you got into trouble for bullying people. In middle school, there was a lot of "look the other way," and no real consequences.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:38 PM

416 posts, read 871,324 times
I was bullied a lot in early elementary school (starting in kindergarten). I grew up in a very wealthy, small city, and was - and I kid you not - the only non-white student in all of my schooling. It started out with "brownie," and then once 9/11 happened, I got bullied over being "a terrorist."

By 6th grade, I was done with it - I hit my breaking point, and I was on the edge (not like, going to go on a shooting rampage, but just plain pissed). So, one day, two kids that usually bullied me, were giving me an exceptionally hard time during soccer in P.E.

One jumped me from behind - I managed to grab his arm, swung him around several times, launching him into a pile of rocks, and then went on to deck the other kid in the nose - didn't break it, but it sure looked nasty. Luckily, the P.E. teacher saw the whole thing, so I didn't get in trouble.

Low and behold, I was never bullied again, and ended up actually being pretty popular going into junior high through high school.

Very glad I lost my temper and ended that whole bullying thing.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:36 AM

278 posts, read 308,556 times
Middle

Old 12-24-2013, 02:40 AM

278 posts, read 308,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Gay bullying ended in ninth grade for some reason, in tenth grade everybody started coming out. One of the best things about living in NYC is how supportive people are if you're gay or bi.
How old are you?
I don't think it was always this way

Old 12-24-2013, 07:01 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Interesting I think high school is worse because they can do more damage. My sister was bullied so badly in high school that she ended up having to switch schools and even then the girls wouldn't leave her alone. She ended up having to get a restraining order against these girls and the judge let the girls have it when they went to court.
A member of my family attending a well known suburban Phila school district quit in her senior year because of bullying. She was physically attacked and arrested when she fought back. After repeated attacks she quit in fear for her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education