Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 04:03 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times

Advertisements

Baton Rouge

I live in a rapidly gentrifying district, but many families send their kids to private schools rather than local public offerings. I think they would do this in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
The parents are reacting against the system.
They are putting their foot down and demanding a good education for the tax dollars they send in.
Notice the article is mostly about the money lost ?
Can't blame the parents though..12 years as a failing district and still failing even when the state took it over.
10% meet the benchmarks with a 20% dropout rate.
And one parent is worried about rich White kids leaving and taking their money with them.

Until you admit the true problem and address the problem it will continue to get worse.
There are not enough private schools for all the kids parents want to enroll.
Tuition is going up and waiting lists are in terms of years.

From that article there's enough of that happening that educators have data to study.
Should become quite obvious why parents are doing this.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 AM

339 posts, read 628,877 times
The city of Madison, Alabama did this in 1998 to break out of the county school system. The City of Huntsville has its own school system as well. Since then the city school system has thrived and in many ways is much better than the county or Huntsville city school system.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:01 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I don't get it. For decades parents across the country have been fleeing crappy school districts and moving to get their kids in better school districts. Just take your kids out and leave the area.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't get it. For decades parents across the country have been fleeing crappy school districts and moving to get their kids in better school districts. Just take your kids out and leave the area.
Maybe they are tired of doing it.
Maybe there's less places to flee to.
Maybe they are in sufficient numbers now to stay and fight back.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:12 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Reading this makes me so worried for the future of this country. It is the exact opposite of what other developed countries do - countries which trounce the U.S. in educational outcomes, by the way. Seems extraordinarily selfish and cruel to secede for the sole purpose that none of your tax dollars help pay for the education of underprivileged children.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:34 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Reading this makes me so worried for the future of this country. It is the exact opposite of what other developed countries do - countries which trounce the U.S. in educational outcomes, by the way. Seems extraordinarily selfish and cruel to secede for the sole purpose that none of your tax dollars help pay for the education of underprivileged children.
I don't think the issue is paying for underprivileged kids to be educated. The issue is that school systems spend more dollars per pupil in schools with a higher portion of underprivledged kids. My school system had 5 middle schools, the difference between the academic per pupil cost at the school with the most FRL kids to the most affluent school was well over $1,000 a year. When budgets were cut, the first school whose discretionary funds were cut was the affluent school, it was actually said at the board meeting that the parent booster clubs/PTA would come up with the money. One specific instance was when buses were funded for the academic teams at two middle schools but unfunded at the other three, and it was said that the kids didn't need an academic team as much at those three, besides the parents could cover it or figure out how to get all the kids there. And it did work that way, but I don't blame the parents for being aggravated.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:02 AM

8,077 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
the sole purpose that none of your tax dollars help pay for the education of underprivileged children.
Couldn't be farther from the truth.

1. The sole purpose most middle class parents do anything, and especially something as drastic as seceding, is for the benefit of their kids.

2. Plenty of your tax dollars are funneled to the expensive inner-city schools in your state, whatever state you live in, if you pay taxes.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
To much tax money is spent on babysitting troublemakers and (I know its not PC) the No child left behind stuff. No wonder the middle class is fleeing and/or the popularity of charter schools is increasing. Getting so its to far for the middle class to commute if they run to 'good schools', so succession is becoming more of a consideration.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:39 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,333 times
Separate but equal of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education