Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:51 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times

Advertisements

I'd like to think that this has a snowball's chance in you-know-where to pass, but this is NY, after all. And Markey, like one-trick-pony Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, is downstate. Unfortunately, they're successful at getting a lot of crud passed.

Another interesting thing to note: even if it's not passed, they'll write a bill. When the time comes (ie, another tragic case), they'll resurrect it, take advantage of the tragedy, and get it passed.

How do I know that? Because that's exactly what they did with the "S.A.F.E" Act, already drawn up and passed in response to Sandy Hook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 02:00 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Gosh, I wish this was implemented when I was in school. I had no idea I was depressed. I thought I had some sort of neurological problem; therefore, my depression was untreated for several years. Had I been diagnosed like I should've been, I probably wouldn't have failed those 4 classes my senior year. I don't understand why people are against it.

Whatever is going on outside of a student's life is way more important than some lesson that you're trying to shove down their throats.
I agree 100%. I'm in the same boat. I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder when I was 50 years old. Nobody should get to this age, before being diagnosed with a major disorder like this. My education was also a mess. The schools had no idea what to do with me, or what my problem was.

If implemented correctly this could be an fantastic tool for helping students to get the help they need.

Mental health screening should be just a standard part of health care for everybody.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
What most people don't realize, is that most states are already doing this...with newborns.
Most states are giving mental health exams to newborns?

Old 02-08-2014, 02:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I agree 100%. I'm in the same boat. I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder when I was 50 years old. Nobody should get to this age, before being diagnosed with a major disorder like this. My education was also a mess. The schools had no idea what to do with me, or what my problem was.

If implemented correctly this could be an fantastic tool for helping students to get the help they need.

Mental health screening should be just a standard part of health care for everybody.
The problem is that 50 years ago, autism was only diagnosed in the more severe and less functioning children. And, those children were often institutionalized rather than ending up in the public schools. My son would have been dxed *if* they had understood aspergers disorder back then, but they didn't. He's in his forties.

The diagnoses have come a long way from the way it was so many years ago.

Unfortunately, though, the treatment has not always kept up with things. Some disorders are are treated with psychotropic drugs that have not been studied in children. We do not know the effects of these drugs on the growing brain, so it is hard to decide what should be done.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Pinkmani and Kaaboom, I'm confused. Didn't your schools offer counselors to the student body?

Anybody who thinks have psychological profiles done without cause is a good idea, I say this "be afraid". When students are tested for learning disabilities, a psychologist report is part of the proceedings. It took the threat of a lawsuit to get my son's report changed. He wanted to be a fireman, and went on and on about his older sibling who was going through the training to be a junior volunteer. The report came to me saying he had a fascination with fire. Duh. I knew if it stayed in his file he would be suspect every time some little punk lit the restroom trash can up.

It won't happen though, the costs far outweigh any possible benefit.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:50 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Pinkmani and Kaaboom, I'm confused. Didn't your schools offer counselors to the student body?

Anybody who thinks have psychological profiles done without cause is a good idea, I say this "be afraid". When students are tested for learning disabilities, a psychologist report is part of the proceedings. It took the threat of a lawsuit to get my son's report changed. He wanted to be a fireman, and went on and on about his older sibling who was going through the training to be a junior volunteer. The report came to me saying he had a fascination with fire. Duh. I knew if it stayed in his file he would be suspect every time some little punk lit the restroom trash can up.

It won't happen though, the costs far outweigh any possible benefit.
Like I said, I didn't know I was depressed. I thought I had a neurological problem. Besides the typical withdrawal from friends and family, lack of interest in activities that brought me pleasure, constant crying, and anxiety, I was having tingling sensations in my spine, random loss of muscle control in my face, weekly headaches, and migraines after exercise.

Those aren't a reason why I would see a counselor. Doctors were telling me that there isn't anything wrong with me. And yes, the symptoms went away after I started taking antidepressants.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:54 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
No they dont have access to my health records cause I dont go to drs ....nor do I discuss my personal business on social media either ...
Well, after reading through a few of your posts, I found out a lot about you. And since you've had this account since 2008, I could probably find out more. Let me help you out there and debunk your last (attempt) at a sentence, you do discuss your personal business on social media.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:04 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
I agree 100% (That mental health screening should be done by public schools.). I'm in the same boat. I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder when I was 50 years old. Nobody should get to this age, before being diagnosed with a major disorder like this. My education was also a mess. The schools had no idea what to do with me, or what my problem was.

I am sorry for the difficulties you have faced, but at your age it seems unlikely that the schools would have diagnosed your problem as autism doesn't seem or have been included in the DSM until 1980.

Autism in the DSM | The Causes of Autism

While I'm sure that you feel that having the schools intervene in this area might help some people, I hope you appreciate that many people are not comfortable with the intrusive nature of this law, and do not feel that government should at all be involved in "screening" our children.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I know my schools spent a lot of time consulting with my parents, trying to figure out what my problem was. I don't think my parents or the schools ever suspected I had any mental issues, other then maybe a learning disorder.

As nana053 pointed out, even if I had a diagnosis when I started school, there probably wouldn't have been any help for me. Today there would be help, but you can't help the student, if you don't first identify their problem.

This law, if implemented right could help a lot of people. It's a great idea. Mental health, like health care in general is not a bad thing. A healthier society will be a safer society.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:40 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
I know my schools spent a lot of time consulting with my parents, trying to figure out what my problem was. I don't think my parents or the schools ever suspected I had any mental issues, other then maybe a learning disorder.

As nana053 pointed out, even if I had a diagnosis when I started school, there probably wouldn't have been any help for me. Today there would be help, but you can't help the student, if you don't first identify their problem.

This law, if implemented right could help a lot of people. It's a great idea. Mental health, like health care in general is not a bad thing. A healthier society will be a safer society.
I understand what you are saying, but it seems your parents did seek help. I still think the responsibility falls on the parents, and the classroom teachers, to recognize there might be a problem and request a referral. That doesn't mean it makes sense for every student to undergo such testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education