Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:18 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
An elementary school has banned candy on Valentine’s Day.
Kudos to the principlal encoraging healthy living at least on the school dime.

Elementary school bans candy on Valentine
What these little things? Banning Valentine's Candy is like peeing on a forest fire. When I was growing up, as much candy as I ate, I would estimate that probably 20% or 30% was eaten on Halloween. Maybe 10% on Christmas, and Easter. Valentines Day would have been insignificant. Let the kids have some fun.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-11-2014 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: removed copyrighted picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I respectfully disagree and hope it is a trend to ban all sugar products from schools. Im sure these teachers would be up happy with kids not so disruptive they can get on candy .
I could see an argument for kids not eating sugar products. Sugar is very addictive. But this is going about it all wrong.

First, I would like to see some studies done to determine if kids who don't eat sugar products are healthier then those who do. The evidence that I have seen, does not support that. My understanding is that sugar in moderate quantities is not harmful.

If the studies conclude that kids who don't eat sugar products, are in fact healthier, then we need a massive education campaign to change societies attitude about children eating sweets. But banning candy on one holiday is not going to accomplish anything.

Study: Kids who eat candy less likely to be obese than kids who don’t

The Sugar Myth: Are You Eating Too Much (By Accident!)?

Last edited by KaaBoom; 02-10-2014 at 01:01 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 12:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
One of my kid's school class has banned v-day candy because a number of kids in that class is allergic to stuff.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times
Studies? Oh, my. The world already has far too many silly studies, and they all get dragged to forums where they're touted as gospel.

How about some plain old common sense?

As far as allergies, if your kid has one, tell it not to eat the stuff or it will kill him. Of course for that to work, we'll have to go back in time to when parents said what they meant and meant what they said. These days, the kids would just laugh at them and the parents would cower in fear.

Isn't it funny how it all goes back to good parenting!

Old 02-10-2014, 04:55 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
What a silly idea. There is little harm in letting the kids have a few pieces of candy in the afternoon. Its not a daily thing, just one of the few holidays kids are still allowed to celebrate. Its doubtful we'll need a Biggest Loser edition for the school at year end.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
I'm thinking that with all of the snow days that school districts in the eastern half of the United States have had so far this winter, the last thing teachers want in the weeks leading up to standardized testing is to take an afternoon off to celebrate Valentine's Day.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm thinking that with all of the snow days that school districts in the eastern half of the United States have had so far this winter, the last thing teachers want in the weeks leading up to standardized testing is to take an afternoon off to celebrate Valentine's Day.
The article said nothing about not celebrating Valentine's Day at school. In fact, it specifically said that pencils and stickers were fine to include in Valentine's cards sent to school. Just not candy.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Candy, stickers, pencils, it's all junk. At least candy is edible and gets consumed. The school could certainly limit the candy to conversation hearts and other hard candies and forgo the chocolates and nuts if allergies is really the concern.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
I understand that, mm. I was just making a general observation. I'd think yet another distraction at this time of year would be the last thing teachers want. A significant number of eastern U.S. districts have already used up their snow days, and I suspect teachers need all the instructional hours they can get going into testing season. Holiday celebrations, even those scheduled at the end of the day, make it very difficult to keep kids focused and on-task. It's a nice break in the routine when things are progressing on schedule, but this year has been anything but routine. That's my $.02. YMMV.

And I completely agree about the junk, Kat. Ugh.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:50 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
In theory, I get it. I don't fully agree with it, but I understand the intentions behind it. Some schools take these "no treats" policies too far though. Last year a student in my child's class had her snack taken from her at snack time because it was not healthy. It was prepackaged cookies. The teacher who took the cookies had a stash of Goldfish crackers to give to children who forgot to bring a snack from home. Gold fish crackers are not really healthy so it made no sense at all. I would have been livid if I had packed my child a snack and the teacher took it away. There needs to be room for common sense and exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education