Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,344 times

Advertisements

Hello,

How does one go about changing career fields... I've been in IT for 7+ years now and would like to get into a more creative/social field like marketing... any tips on how to make this transition? what would you do if you felt that you 'belonged' somewhere else? Have any of you been through this and were you able to successfully change your career path...what steps did you take? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 11:46 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,599 times
I think that you should first begin dabbling in the marketing arena at your current job, I'm sure they have an inhouse marketing department?

I have changed careers 2x, about to do it for a 3rd time. There was no science to what I did. I went from marketing @ a major corporate entity, to entertainment, to law and now business development for a major int'l commercial builder. One thing that may contribute to my being able to switch fields is that I never just stuck to my job, I always talked to other departments about what they did, what they do, etc. Once I got into entertainment, I started out in P.R. however I was able to become hands on in marketing, event planning, legal/business affairs which sparked my interest to move onto get certified as a paralegal and work with a firm. While working for the firm, I still did entertainment on the side. I've since relocated, still working in entertainment however I picked up the commercial builder as a client and they have offered me a position within their company which I'm heavily considering due to the stability and great benefits.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:30 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Good thoughts. If it's a dramatic switch (or even not a dramatic switch), then classes or a degree can be a route to transition. I say that in part because you then get some mentoring as well and might end up with a professor who will facilitate your transition.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:42 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,206 times
Default A Multiple Career Change Can Require....

... Multiple times of returning to Graduate School for another degree. So analyze 'how much' another degree is going to cost you? Sure, initially you can probably get loans but they will have to be paid back.

IF you have attended graduate school AND have obtained six different "Master of -----" degrees... then are you going to be able to pay off a loan way up in the six figures? In a life time, I doubt it. And so you will be 'beholding' to someone you owe money to for the rest of your life.

Although such a scenario might seem okay while you are young... it is a death trap when you are much, much older. IF you owe a huge amount of college money when you are near retirement years, then it is very possible that you will become homeless.

So analyze 'why' you want to change careers so often. IF it is just because the 'grass seems greener on the other side' then stay put in your already expertise as an 'IT' technician.

Carter Glass

Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 AM

... but a class or two on the other hand could provide just the right segueway, depending of course on how big of a change this is ...

Old 12-01-2007, 09:17 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,344 times
thanks guys... you've given me some things to think about. I guess at this point in my career.. there is major stagnation. I've been doing the same thing over and over for a long time for the same employer. I'm a thinker so definitely want a job that needs some analytical thinking as well.. at the same time, I like to be around people. So basically need a job that has both the social and analytical aspect to it. A lot of new people that I meet always assume that I'm in sales/marketing. What kind of work would you do if you had my skills/interests? thanks!

Old 12-02-2007, 01:24 AM

Hi,

Do you mean you like sales and marketing? You think it's a "fit"?

When you say you are analytical and a "thinker" (I'm like that too) - did you want to expand or segueway more into content areas (like, medical, environmental, whatever) or did you want to be involved in more strategic thinking?

Tell us more, concretely, about what you would like to be doing ...

Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 AM

498 posts, read 1,519,520 times
Default Interpetation

I think you ought to become an interpretor next. I don't know how long that would take to go through school for it or do you? But I think you would be good at it. This can allow you to go just about anywhere ya want. Learn to read, write , speak and sign them and you will have another lifelong career you could use anywhere. That way you are always your own boss for the most part of it too. I hear, through educators and politics that, that is who is making the big bucks and plenty of em'. If you like to analyze alot then maybe criminal investigations would suit you as well. There are jobs for computer forensics in the law area. Heck if you are smart enough than maybe you could start a program all your own. Well good luck in your endeavors. HEy, how about a model there in Chicago. My hometown. Ok, well til we meet again. LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-02-2007, 11:58 AM

Computer forensics - that would be so neat! (Can I just do forensics for dummies though, no great computer skills here).

Old 12-02-2007, 06:58 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times
I think first it's important to consider if you're willing to take an entry-level or much lower level position when you change fields. When you're starting in a new field, you might have to take a lower position in terms of responsibilities or pay. I am in the process of changing careers, and I wasn't able to get the type of position I wanted in my new field b/c I was seen as overqualified. I ended up taking a volunteer position for awhile in order to get a foot in the door. Or, you could volunteer on the side while keeping your same position in order to get a foot in the door and make contacts.

The other thing is do informational interviews in the new field to make contacts and get solid information about the best way to get a foot in the door in your new field. Start with alums from your college if you don't know anyone in your new field, or try cold-contacting. I've done that and it works--especially if you explain in your email that you're looking to change fields.

Also, it's important to have a professional go over your resume to make sure it's in line with your new field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education