Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:05 AM

4,043 posts, read 7,405,363 times

Advertisements

Didn't read the rest of the thread but I think you are looking at the wrong reasons for wanting to acquire a rich vocabulary.
If it's status you're looking for -it's the wrong reason and this approach won't take you too far down the intellectual path anyway.

If it is to be able to develop more nuanced thoughts and convey richer,deeper, more meaningful ideas to those around you, especially those whom you value and want to build close relationships with...then yes, this is a worthy goal.

A person with a rudimentary vocabulary is a largely handicapped human. Inability to understand and communicate nuance can, in fact, impact relationships and ultimately quality of life.

This is why you should want to acquire a rich vocabulary and to be articulate. So you can make the most of life, not so you can "look" smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 03:17 AM

2,650 posts, read 2,204,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
My ultimate desire is to largely increase my vocabulary so that I can speak more eloquently, and because I want to become smarter. But at the same time, I feel like maybe my reasons are selfish and stupid? I feel that wanting to become smarter just makes me pretentious. I feel like I have something to prove? But I'm not really trying to be better than anyone. I simply want to be the best I can be. When I look at other intelligent people that have extensive vocabularies, I begin to admire them, and I wish that I could possess that level of knowledge and that I was equally as smart. I simply feel inferior to most people. I want to learn beyond what I currently know. I want to speak eloquently and be more intelligent! So does my desire to grow and learn make me pretentious, etc?

Your statement is a sad, sad testimonial about our country. Where do you get these anti-intellectual ideas from?

Old 03-02-2014, 02:10 PM

79 posts, read 122,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
does my desire to grow and learn make me pretentious, etc?
No, it makes you an endangered species.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:34 PM

37,732 posts, read 40,772,892 times
It's not that you want to do it. It's that you feel the need to announce it that probably turns people off. Have you ever seen the South Park episode called "Smug Alert" about drivers of hybrid cars?

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...e02-smug-alert

Old 03-03-2014, 01:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,603,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Didn't read the rest of the thread but I think you are looking at the wrong reasons for wanting to acquire a rich vocabulary.
If it's status you're looking for -it's the wrong reason and this approach won't take you too far down the intellectual path anyway.

If it is to be able to develop more nuanced thoughts and convey richer,deeper, more meaningful ideas to those around you, especially those whom you value and want to build close relationships with...then yes, this is a worthy goal.

A person with a rudimentary vocabulary is a largely handicapped human. Inability to understand and communicate nuance can, in fact, impact relationships and ultimately quality of life.

This is why you should want to acquire a rich vocabulary and to be articulate. So you can make the most of life, not so you can "look" smart.
There are NO wrong reasons for wanting to acquire a rich vocabulary.

"Looking smart" is a mere side effect.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:32 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,405,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
There are NO wrong reasons for wanting to acquire a rich vocabulary.

"Looking smart" is a mere side effect.
Yes, there are.
Wanting to "look smart" is one of them - simply because it will result in a very ineffective technique to acquire those "smart words".
She talked about "looking smart" as a main goal, not as a side effect.

Taking an interest in substantive topics, reading because you have a real interest in those topics, and then looking up words to gain a better understanding - now THAT'S a side effect.
This is a different story and it has nothing to do with the goal of "looking smart" in the eyes of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education