Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:03 AM

550 posts, read 965,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Self confidence is even more important for introverts than extroverts because the world is set up for extroverts.
Thanks for your insights. Very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well do you think being shy and introverted is something that needs to be "fixed" ?
No, not at all; hence my one and only question in my original post:

"...what else can we do specifically to make sure that socially and emotionally, she can be more confident about herself?"

Shyness and introversion are not confidence per se.

Last edited by stradivarius; 03-11-2014 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Added last sentence.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
No, not at all; hence my one and only question in my original post:

"...what else can we do specifically to make sure that socially and emotionally, she can be more confident about herself?"

Shyness and introversion are not confidence per se.
Is she lacking self confidence or is she just shy and introverted ?

There is quite a difference between the two.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Is she lacking self confidence or is she just shy and introverted ?

There is quite a difference between the two.
The teacher and we all know that she's shy and introverted. The teacher is concerned about her self confidence.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The teacher and we all know that she's shy and introverted. The teacher is concerned about her self confidence.
Well it's really up to you to determine if she lacks self-confidence.
The teacher is just observing what she sees.

Does she lack self-confidence ? Does she have low self-esteem ?

Old 03-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Well it's really up to you to determine if she lacks self-confidence.
The teacher is just observing what she sees.

Does she lack self-confidence ? Does she have low self-esteem ?
Fair observation. Good questions, too, but tough to answer. Sometimes, it's self-confidence, while at other times, it seems to be self-esteem. Maybe it's difficult to assess because of her age. Though her strengths do tend to help with the latter.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Fair observation. Good questions, too, but tough to answer. Sometimes, it's self-confidence, while at other times, it seems to be self-esteem. Maybe it's difficult to assess because of her age. Though her strengths do tend to help with the latter.
You've posted that she's shy and introverted but academically ahead.
You've also posted that you are new to the area so naturally it takes time to make friendships.

I would say not to worry because it takes time to make friends, longer for shy children.
And you are making efforts to have play dates.

I would just give it time. She's only 5 (assuming here due to grade she's in) and just starting to go outside the family unit.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:15 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,134 times
Quote:
What will hurt her self confidence is being told or shown that her natural character traits are wrong and need to be fixed. These posts about forcing her into activities and scheduling play dates are fine if that's what she wants to do. But surrounding her with groups of people all the time is going can make her feel awkward if she's naturally introverted.

I would ask your introverted wife what she thinks.

There is a great TED talk on the power of introverts, I suggest you take a look.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
What will hurt her self confidence is being told or shown that her natural character traits are wrong and need to be fixed. These posts about forcing her into activities and scheduling play dates are fine if that's what she wants to do. But surrounding her with groups of people all the time is going can make her feel awkward if she's naturally introverted.

There is a great TED talk on the power of introverts, I suggest you take a look.
Thank you.

I agree with your comment, that forcing her into these settings may have a negative effect on her. Fortunately, for now, she's been excited about the play dates and even group swim/dance lessons. Up to a handful of people, she's completely fine with. We know better than to take her to a bigger outing.

My wife is actually the one that wants to encourage our daughter to enjoy these social settings more because she saw what she herself missed out on.

So I guess it's really two different things we are discussing here: allowing her to be who she is; while helping her with her self-confidence/esteem. And we can't mix the two up.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:33 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,387,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post

I don't think anyone is advocating forcing play dates and hobbies on the child, but she should be encouraged in a positive way. I have never ever met a child who didn't benefit from having and making friends. ( even the completely non verbal child who was developmentally like a 2 year old at the age of 8. ) introverts have and need friends just like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education