Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
Did you read the article? It talks about how Finland has incorporated a lot of these social welfare issues and reformed their schools.
The US has more school children (50 million) than the entire population of Finland (5 million)

A lot more money in Finland goes directly to the classroom unlike the US where the bulk of the money goes to the administration.

Finland is set up quite different than the US as far as education.
Taking care of social issues in school is not what makes Finnish education better.

According to the article below the closest we have to Finnish education is our private schools.

The Finland Phenomenon: Inside the World's Most Surprising School System - THE DAILY RIFF - Be Smarter. About Education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The US has more school children (50 million) than the entire population of Finland (5 million)

A lot more money in Finland goes directly to the classroom unlike the US where the bulk of the money goes to the administration.

Taking care of social issues in school is not what makes Finnish education better.

According to the article below the closest we have to Finnish education is our private schools.

The Finland Phenomenon: Inside the World's Most Surprising School System - THE DAILY RIFF - Be Smarter. About Education.

By extrapolation, the US has more poor children than the entire population of Finland. Somewhere between 20 and 25% of US children live in poverty, which puts our number of poor children around 10 million or more. These children are not evenly distributed around the country. Many are in what used to be more or less officially red-lined zones designed to contain their specific populations. As golfgal says, if we removed these zones from our tallies, our numbers would soar. The entire test-score-based school evaluation models seem designed to target the schools of poor children for closure. It's hard to look at the sequence of events and not conclude otherwise.

Another point: Why do we have poor schools in America? It is one thing to have schools for poor children. It is another thing entirely to have poor schools. Our 10 million poor children, if they lived in a third-world country, would qualify for US aid relief. Ours just get a few TFA temps in each school.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
By extrapolation, the US has more poor children than the entire population of Finland. Somewhere between 20 and 25% of US children live in poverty, which puts our number of poor children around 10 million or more. These children are not evenly distributed around the country. Many are in what used to be more or less officially red-lined zones designed to contain their specific populations. As golfgal says, if we removed these zones from our tallies, our numbers would soar. The entire test-score-based school evaluation models seem designed to target the schools of poor children for closure. It's hard to look at the sequence of events and not conclude otherwise.

Another point: Why do we have poor schools in America? It is one thing to have schools for poor children. It is another thing entirely to have poor schools. Our 10 million poor children, if they lived in a third-world country, would qualify for US aid relief. Ours just get a few TFA temps in each school.
I believe SES is probably the leading indicator in student outcomes. I teach in a high SES district that ranks high in graduation rate and state test scores. Successful parents often have successful children. I teach kids who come from homes where they are introduced to books at an early age, where they have grown up using computers and where daddy WILL take the car away if grades are not high enough by the weekend.

I had to laugh at one student I had last year. He came into my room Friday morning asking if there was anything he could do to get his grade up because there was a dance that weekend and his girlfriend was threatening to break up with him if he lost the car because of his grades. There's a lot of peer pressure to do well in where I teach even if it is so you have the car for a date with your girlfriend. I let him turn in an assignment late (for late credit) that pulled his grade up in time for the dance. The amount of power these parents have over their kids is amazing. They don't buck their parents. They know the car, their phone, their clothes and their next vacation are on the line.

The flip side is drug use but you have that in any school. The drugs are just different. A lot of drinking goes on on the weekends and I hear that crack is one of the drugs of choice. If you judge a school by a high graduation rate and high ACT scores, we're rocking it. If you judge us by drug use, we're probably right down there with everyone else....but we don't talk about this. It might tarnish our image.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:23 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:

Don't confuse "administration" with "administrative".....the bulk of the US school budgets go to pay salaries and benefits, period. The administrators, even at the most top heavy districts, make up a very small percentage of those dollars. The administrative part of a school budget or the operating costs, cover salaries, benefits, and costs for actually running the schools. Building funds are a different pile of money.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:47 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I believe SES is probably the leading indicator in student outcomes
I think value system is very important.

Quote:
"Shuang Wen Academy is a small, public elementary school in Chinatown featuring a rigorous dual-language program in English and Chinese.

If you look at the school's track record, the reason families of all races are clamoring to get into this school becomes clear.

Out of 1,200 New York City public schools, Shuang Wen ranked number three in math. And almost 97 percent of the students passed the reading test, compared to the city- wide average of only 33 percent.

CHOU: To us it's really not something we are -- in American culture, we say we are very proud of. But in Chinese culture, we say it's nothing. We should have done this.

LOTHIAN: High expectations are typically the norm for Asian American children. But when you consider the demographics of the community served by the school, the accomplishments stand out even more.

CHOU: We are Title I school with 70 percent population under poverty level. The majority are labor workers -- a lot of new immigrants. They're working at the restaurant or garment factories."

Last edited by kovert; 03-12-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I would agree. IME kids from high SES households value education more than kids from low SES households on average. However, you can be from a low SES household and value education and have good results. It's just not typical for parents in low SES households to teach their children to value education.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 03-12-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Don't confuse "administration" with "administrative".....the bulk of the US school budgets go to pay salaries and benefits, period. The administrators, even at the most top heavy districts, make up a very small percentage of those dollars. The administrative part of a school budget or the operating costs, cover salaries, benefits, and costs for actually running the schools. Building funds are a different pile of money.
That article said administrators make the same salary as the teachers.
That leaves a lot more money to go to the classroom.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:35 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
i remember when i was in school, the whole day revolved around smoking dope, all my friend thought about was getting high. twenty years later those same friends all they do is smoke dope. there was no learning in school, they was glorified baby sitters.

now those i hung out with, today most are truck drivers, stone off their butt, while driving.

I got away from them 19 years ago, i wish it was earlier. want see what your future going be, look at your friends.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:07 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
That article said administrators make the same salary as the teachers.
That leaves a lot more money to go to the classroom.
Not really... our kids went to a big district. In their high school, for example, there was a principal and 2 vice-principals and an athletic director. The combined salary difference in these individuals vs the highest paid teachers was maybe $50,000 extra. Sure, that seems like a big number but in reality that is one more teacher for the school. It's less than .1% of the actual school budget......

Old 03-12-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Not really... our kids went to a big district. In their high school, for example, there was a principal and 2 vice-principals and an athletic director. The combined salary difference in these individuals vs the highest paid teachers was maybe $50,000 extra. Sure, that seems like a big number but in reality that is one more teacher for the school. It's less than .1% of the actual school budget......
Austin Tx is a big district. They have 70 administrative employees making over $100K.
Their titles are Directors or Executive Directors and they work at the district level.
The District superintendent makes near $300K.

And this is in Texas where teacher salaries range from $36-$50K (1-30 years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education