Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you know your IQ ?
yes 213 59.00%
No 137 37.95%
I won't tell you, I don't have to 11 3.05%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:49 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times

Advertisements

I don't understand how so many people know their IQs. I don't think I was given any test in school, and I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to take one. Do people actually pay to go somewhere and take an IQ test??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 04:54 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I don't really know why I was tested, although it might have been for some sort of gifted program at school. In any case, my parents did not openly discuss my score with me, and I was not enrolled in the gifted program. My husband does know his childhood score, and I'm pretty sure I've seen the paperwork in his school files. My children have never been tested.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:05 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Many years ago, I heard Truman Capote talk about his IQ... 215. He said the test stopped registering at 200, so it was estimated 215. I found several references and one is here:
Truman Capote

Old 03-25-2014, 05:08 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
For anyone on here claiming to have an IQ of 150+: you do realize that you might as well post saying that your a billionaire, you own a private island and you love to surf city data while flying around in your private G550 jet. Both of those statements are equally ridiculous.
I have to agree with this. My son has an honest to goodness 140 IQ and he's so different from a normal kid that I seriously worry about him. His doctor was floored when his eval came back that high.

At 129 I was one of the smartest kids in my private boarding school. These IQs of 160 etc. are so rare that it's highly unlikely all these brilliant people visit city data's education board.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
I thought the top score was 160...133 here tested in 6th grade which was circa 1973...I thought MENSA requirements were 150 and above...

Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I don't understand how so many people know their IQs. I don't think I was given any test in school, and I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to take one. Do people actually pay to go somewhere and take an IQ test??
I had to take an IQ test to get into a private school as a kid. My son had his first at 5, second at 7, due to evaluation with a psychiatrist and neurologist for Tourette's syndrome and what we thought was adhd but probably was just bored gifted kid syndrome

I have a daughter too and have no idea what her IQ is. I would guess she's blessedly average.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:16 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I knew some very clever people at school and in the workplace who could do all sorts, but they had no common sense, did you know anyone like this too...
Of course. But then again, I also know plenty of not-so-clever people with zero common sense - and conversely, I know both intelligent and average people with loads of common sense. So I don't really see a correlation between the two, and yet someone inevitably asks this question whenever intelligence is being discussed. Trying to prove something, or just an attempt to level the playing field?

I think some folks also assume that smart = sheltered or naive, which is totally not the case for everyone. My father, for example, has experienced more hardships and struggles than most of us here... he also happens to be a brilliant man (at least until Alzheimer's set in a few years ago), who used his combination of natural smarts & life experiences to go far in life. I realize that isn't necessarily the norm, but it isn't exactly a rare situation either. Smart people come from all backgrounds, ya know?

Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
You sir, are a ****ing genius!
That's correct! It all reverts back to D.C.
I was trying to be funny stealing a scene from Talledega Nights, The legend of Ricky Bobby. Only they used North Carolina in the film.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 PM

195 posts, read 281,443 times
Took one as a freshman in high school. Score was so high that they wouldn't tell me what it was. Said it would make me "arrogant". (too late). :-)

Old 03-25-2014, 07:25 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'm shocked by the poll results. I would think that most people wouldn't know their IQ and could care less (me being in that grouping). Where and why were you taking the test is my question? If it's for admission to a more prestigious college or for admission into a supposed gifted program I guess I can see it used as a tool, but only as a tool. The accuracy of these tests as mentioned by many posting here is pretty questionable.

I remember my daughter, who throughout grade school and early high school was #1 in her class (she transferred to a better school in high school) took a test once to get into a program for the elite academics. Even though she was the best student in the class she didn't get in, though some students she was tutoring did. Was this an "IQ" test? I don't know. All I do know is it was a joke. She has her Doctorate in Physical Therapy now and is more than capable of going through Med. School if she chose. She loves what she does now though.
I know mine because I was tested for entrance into our school district's fledgling gifted program, and my father thought I should know. Ours were administered by a psychologist, in his office. The gifted program (called Project 81) was too unstructured to be helpful to me, but it did give me lots of freedoms most students didn't get. I could skip study halls to go to the library (either middle school or high school), and higher-level reading material was suggested by the P81 counselor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education