Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you know your IQ ?
yes 213 59.00%
No 137 37.95%
I won't tell you, I don't have to 11 3.05%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 05:22 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
Magically everyone in here has an IQ above 120. What are the odds *rolls eyes*.
If someone in here has an advanced degree such as MD, JD, or PhD., it's not that surprising that he/she has an IQ score above 120. I am such example, and I am not very surprised by my IQ score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 08:16 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
Magically everyone in here has an IQ above 120. What are the odds *rolls eyes*.
Funny how that works given only 10% of the population has an IQ above 120. Apparently, 90% of people out there ignore this site. It's only the smart people who post here.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:46 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Funny how that works given only 10% of the population has an IQ above 120. Apparently, 90% of people out there ignore this site. It's only the smart people who post here.
Did you not see my post above?

Old 04-06-2015, 04:35 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Did you not see my post above?
Yes. What's your point? Are you saying everyone here has a higher degree?

This is the internet. People claim all kinds of things that are not true.

IQ doesn't mean anything anyway. It's grit that matters. It's not what you have that matters. It's what you do with what you have. Someone with an IQ of 100 who really applies himself is far better off than someone with an IQ of 140 who doesn't. IQ is just a number until you do something with it. It's your accomplishments that matter not what you were handed on a silver platter. What did you do with it?

I have advanced degrees and got great grades in college but I'm just a teacher like every other teacher. I didn't do anything special with what I was given. I had the potential but somewhere along the line I got derailed and ended up just like everyone else. It no longer matters what my IQ is. I'm in the same place as everyone else which puts me on par with everyone else.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:45 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Not having an advanced degree doesn't mean that you don't have a high IQ. LOL I would say that having an advanced degree indicates a fairly high level of intelligence, though. Not necessarily a genius IQ, but someone with a PhD is almost definitely no dummy.

I think that this type of message board would tend to attract the brighter crayons in the box. Those who don't have the capacity for higher-level thinking aren't going to be interested in discussions about education, generally speaking. They also would likely not be able to keep up with some of the conversations. There's a big difference between the types of comments you read here and the types that you see on random Facebook walls. Most people here give well-thought-out arguments for whatever they're proposing and demonstrate an understanding of proper English usage (which is a moot point if someone's first language is not English, but it's a good clue about basic intelligence when you are comparing native English speakers).

Also, most people who have a very average IQ are not going to be boasting about it.

Of course, anonymous message boards also encourage truth-bending.

I guess we'll never know the truth on this one. I will say, though, that I'd expect the average IQ in this particular group to be higher than average.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:49 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
Quote:
People claim all kinds of things that are not true.
Yes, for example:

Quote:

IQ doesn't mean anything anyway.
And then there are those who beg the question . . .

Quote:

Someone with an IQ of 100 who really applies himself is far better off than someone with an IQ of 140 who doesn't.
In real life, someone with an IQ of 140 who really applies himself is far better off than someone with an IQ of 100 who really applies himself. Perhaps the insinuation is that intelligent people are less likely to apply themselves? Which of course is nonsense.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 04-06-2015 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 12:22 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
I'd be interested to know what my IQ would be if I did a test at this stage in my life. My psychiatrist told me that my cognitive ability has likely gone down a lot in the last few years and I'm pretty sure she's right. I reckon my IQ at this point wouldn't be higher than average.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:55 PM
M_M

62 posts, read 112,580 times
Like most others here, I am in the top few percent in the world in IQ. I remember getting my results as a child and they drew quite a crowd. I had no idea what was going on or that I had the highest score in the entire country for my age group in the last 50 years. Not really a big deal to me, though. I was too busy learning.

I have been retested every five years or so of my life by all kinds of leading researchers using the latest in IQ exams. If anything, my IQ appears to be growing over time. The second time I was tested, the professor conducting my test had to scramble to add a fourth digit to my score. Even at that age I still didn't understand all the commotion. To me it was just normal. At my current rate of intelligence growth, I anticipate reaching a five-digit score sometime before my retirement. Who knows where I will end up? I'm guessing I will probably be recorded in history as one of the top two or three smartest people ever to live.

In the end, it's only a test, so I don't let it get to my head.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:26 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Thank you. I don't know, nor care what my supposed IQ is, but it's good to know that I'm in the top 10%.

First thing I'm going to do is call my customers tomorrow and tell them how lucky they are and brag. I have a funny feeling some of them might disagree with me.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:29 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
I can't count that high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education