Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times

Advertisements

My child's math teacher this year gives out individualized homework, which is amazing. She tests the kids and then makes three or four homework packets based on their needs. I love it! My daughter needs less practice in critical thinking and problem solving, but more basic rote memorization type problems. Other students need the opposite.

I wish her language arts teacher would do the same thing. They take standardized tests and do benchmarking, so it is possible to do this.

I think homework can help fill any gaps in your child's education, and it's a necessary thing.

( I still hate it though. Shhh...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 05:07 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,775 times
Mathematics homework is valuable as it is practice and it reinforces the skills and concepts being presented. Most students that do not practice what they previously learned will not master the skill and/or forget how to use the skill. A good homework assignment blends the new material with previously-learned skills and concepts to maintain them and provide opportunities to see patterns develop over time that fits in with each students unique way of processing and problem solving.

Reading assignments are also of value particularly as background information to the lesson provided in class. Teachers can assign some guiding questions or activities to engage the student as they read the material to stimulate curiosity about the topic so that the student can take a more active role in class discussions and ask questions about concepts or material they don't understand.

One major difference today is that many students are often not assigned outside reading because most will not do it. Students have gotten used to being given time in class to read the material and/or the teacher has summarized the major points sparing them the necessity to draw their own conclusions. This has become a common practice because few students will read outside of school, especially content material. Many excuses are given for why this occurs such as a non-supportive homelife, material above their independent reading level, or content that is not engaging to the reader. The long and short of it is that in the past it was expected and most students read and now it largely does not take place. Instead, what little reading is assigned is usually in language arts where students are given reading logs and encouraged to read an independent reading book at their "just right level" for 20 mins. This results in many middle-school students carrying around "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid" for several months when they should be reading more varied and thought-provoking material that is more grade-level and age appropriate.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,616 times
Lincolnian,

For me, the concept of dumbing down bc some will not do homework is so perplexing. Shouldn't teachers continue to have high standards so that the children who ARE interested and whose parents DO require them to do the homework assigned by a teacher will actually be stimulated? Since when do we stop trying bc some children or some children's parents have decided that an assignment given by the teacher is actually optional? That is a bizarre concept in and of itself. I think this teaches a child basic disrespect for education and the teacher. The idea that I had a choice to do anything assigned by my teacher (or to not do it) is a concept that never crossed my mind...because my parents would not have allowed it.
Where are the parents? And this is not just at certain socio-economic levels. It seems like lots of parents are disregarding and rebelling against the teachers, homework, etc. What disrespect. Would these parents disregard a doctor when it comes to medical advice? If not, why disregard the teacher when it comes to education?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Mathematics homework is valuable as it is practice and it reinforces the skills and concepts being presented. Most students that do not practice what they previously learned will not master the skill and/or forget how to use the skill. A good homework assignment blends the new material with previously-learned skills and concepts to maintain them and provide opportunities to see patterns develop over time that fits in with each students unique way of processing and problem solving.

Reading assignments are also of value particularly as background information to the lesson provided in class. Teachers can assign some guiding questions or activities to engage the student as they read the material to stimulate curiosity about the topic so that the student can take a more active role in class discussions and ask questions about concepts or material they don't understand.

One major difference today is that many students are often not assigned outside reading because most will not do it. Students have gotten used to being given time in class to read the material and/or the teacher has summarized the major points sparing them the necessity to draw their own conclusions. This has become a common practice because few students will read outside of school, especially content material. Many excuses are given for why this occurs such as a non-supportive homelife, material above their independent reading level, or content that is not engaging to the reader. The long and short of it is that in the past it was expected and most students read and now it largely does not take place. Instead, what little reading is assigned is usually in language arts where students are given reading logs and encouraged to read an independent reading book at their "just right level" for 20 mins. This results in many middle-school students carrying around "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid" for several months when they should be reading more varied and thought-provoking material that is more grade-level and age appropriate.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

Isn't an assumption that "most will not do it" though? I'm not sure I think it is good to formulate policies around that assumption.

I know parents who have open enrolled their kids to other school districts based on the lack of homework. I can say I know many parents who have decided to supplement in some way at home when they thought what was being provided wasn't enough.

My older kid had a really wacky math curriculum in early elementary. It tried to dance around the fact that most kids will need some practice to learn basic math facts...and for many that means practice outside of school hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education