Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,461,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I am considering taking a couple of CLEP tests. English Composition II and either Algebra or College Math. It has been years since I was in college, but I have been working as a legislative proofreader for 15 years and I think my math skills could be brought up to speed. Are the tests difficult? I'm hoping to complete the Associate of Arts degree plan I started in the 80s, as cheaply and efficiently as possible.

Thanks
CLEPs are a great way to go, especially for someone in your situation. I took the Spanish one and even though I thought I failed it, I ended up passing. It wasn't difficult. I just wasn't that proficient in Spanish and went into the test unprepared. It was a 90-minute multiple choice test that got me out of 8 credit hours. And it cost $44 back in 2000. There are CLEP study aids you can check out at the library to prepare, and I highly endorse taking CLEPs as a way of saving money. It also sounds like you already have the requisite skills that would be taught in English Composition II and Algebra anyway, so I'd definitely advise you to take the tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 02:41 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
I took 4 of them many years ago. Fairly easy. The most challenging was Analysis and Interpretation of Literature, IMO.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:27 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I took 4 of them many years ago. Fairly easy. The most challenging was Analysis and Interpretation of Literature, IMO.
LOL. People often regard this as the easiest, but I think it's because it doesn't really require any study. You just have to be good at understanding Middle and Early Modern English. I scored pretty high, but I didn't think it was as easy as many people make it out to be. I ran out of time before I got a chance to answer all of the questions.

The ease of the tests will be based on your background. People of various backgrounds will often find some of the business CLEPs or DSSTs, like management and marketing, to be very easy. The computer CLEPs and DSSTs are easy for those who use computers all the time. Everything else depends. I found the CLEPs and DSSTs in most of the social sciences to be easy, but I had already taken courses in psychology and have a strong interest in the social sciences. I also have a strong interest in the life sciences and found the Biology CLEP to be easy. A lot of people think that the Astronomy DSST is easy, but I thought it was hard. It had too much physics for my liking, but at least I passed. The only CLEP I failed was for chemistry. It's a difficult test, but I think the book I studied from was a poor choice.

As someone else mentioned, you can use free sources like the Khan Academy to study. You can check out books from the library, but it's best to find ones that are specifically made from CLEP or at least AP or the SAT Subject Tests. Education-portal.com has made many videos specifically for CLEP and other tests. I watched videos from Learner.org for two of the tests I took. I also paid $20 a month for Instantcert.com. Their flashcards were extremely helpful; I passed most of the tests by only using those. Many people like to buy used REA books. This website is extremely helpful for the newbie.
Free Clep Prep.com

Old 03-31-2014, 01:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I would like to hear from people who have taken a CLEP test and received college credit for it, if possible.

Thanks all.
I know someone who took a whole year's worth, probably 40 years ago now. Not much help, I know.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:58 PM

389 posts, read 916,464 times
If you are not certain of your abilities, definitely either find a copy of the CLEP Official Study Guide at a local library (it doesn't really matter which edition) or make the $10 purchase of the study guide on the CLEP website. These study guides contain a practice test that will reflect the material covered on the real exam.

I believe others are asking whether you have taken the following steps:
* verifiy that your college grants credit for passing CLEP exams (it looks like they do)
* verify that your college will grant you credit for a specific CLEP exam (the registrar's office is the best point of contact for this as they would know what courses you already took so that there would not be any duplication or whether a department head needs to grant prior approval, etc.)

Old 04-05-2014, 07:25 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,030 times
I used to work for a couple of Universities on Army Posts. Both schools would accept up to 30 credits of CLEPs and this was great for the Soldiers since CLEPs were administered at the ed center and were free for AD students.

At the time family members were able to take the tests for $20 (this was a LONG time ago!).

This was a time saver since many of the credits could be applied to electives, but we did accept ENG 100, 101 and other basic courses.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The real issue that I have found is not whether the college accepts CLEP credits. Its what specific requirements must be completed for you to earn the degree you wish. If you seek a degree in a STEM field, you'll likely find out that virtually every course you take will be set in stone. There will also be an assumption that your math abilities allow you to begin the program on a Calculus level.

CLEP credits may not be much help if they don't apply specifically to the courses you have to complete for your major.
CLEP can help with placement into those higher level classes.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Yes, I took three or four CLEP courses way back in the dinosaur era of the 1980s. They counted for basic general studies prereqs at my private (obscure) four-year liberal arts school. I got an English degree, if that matters.

I have no idea why CLEP seems to have fallen out of favor; until this post, I thought it had been eliminated and supplanted by AP courses, which I hear about constantly.

Glad to know it's still around -- it was a great way to start college as essentially a sophomore. I'll put it back on my radar screen for my kids, who are 9 and 12....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education