Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You don't need a high school course to learn this.

Go to the library. Someone wil point you to where to find the knowledge you seek.
That would require someone to get off their duff and go look! Challenging I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
There is no way high school students are that dumb.
Let me introduce you to my 27 year old sister-in-law who is an elementary school teacher. She claims that Central America is a continent much like North America and South America. Her response when I correct her and remind her that there are seven continents: Don't worry about it. The kids will learn it again letter. Who cares if I teach them the wrong thing?

Yup, that right there is who is teaching today. And you think high school students aren't dumb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
And the Puerto Rican dollar IS the American dollar (I once had some kind of airport official, I can't remember who, try to tell me I had to "change my money" when I moved back to the mainland from PR).
Good luck with that!

There are plenty of kids who can't make change and you want them to learn about military history? Much of the OP's really isn't history more about tactics, organization, structure, etc. There are kids and adults who don't have a clue about the 535 seats in congress or that there are 535 seats in congress. Many don't even know what congress is. Jay Leno had a bit he did called Jay Walking and it really showed how ignorant people are. Even if 90% of it was fake, there's 10% that's not and those people are walking among us and haven't a clue about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 03:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
We have to realize that everyone cannot learn everything in school. And after they go to work, they often do not know enough to even do their job properly.

A good example. During WWII my father in law was the farming manager for the biggest family owned cattle operation in Arizona. They owned several farms, as well as cattle grazing land.

John sent a telegram to the Government in Washington, to get permission to sell cattle. You could not sell them without government permission back then. He requested permission to sell 2,000 head of steers to the slaughter house. The answer that came back was, "Sell 1,000 and keep 1,000 for Breeding purposes".

John called the head of the government sector giving permission to sell animals, and as big as he was in the business was put through. He told them he waned to hire that genius that sent him the telegram, as he did not know how to breed steers and he would be happy to do so if they could produce calves. (For city people, steers are castrated bulls that are castrated so they will grow bigger and faster.) He got a telegram back giving permission to sell all 2,000 and told that young genius was let go and probably drafted into the army.) I saw the framed telegram on the wall of his office when was mayor of the town after he retired and moved to town.

I give this example, as how some people need knowledge of something and others don't. How many people will ever be hired to grant permission to sell animals for slaughter. It is useless information to 98% of the people in this country, not involved in agriculture, even today.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:48 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,765 times
OP-
Good post, I believe every student should be well virsed on our Nations military History and it's Beginnings. Also- as far as Military structure goes, a recruit can learn every aspect of our US Army and all other branches of Service the day he or she chooses to lift their right hand up and swear into Service. IET Soldiers Handbook Tradoc Pamphlet.

Sine Pari

Old 04-02-2014, 04:31 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Another history class?
I'm sure we are gonna beat Japan, China and Germany by making our kids take another history class

Old 04-02-2014, 04:40 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Or some questions I still don't know the answers to all thru everything

Such as

What is an infantry division

What is the 105th airborne ...how many are there

How is the marine corps different from the navy

What non-military skillsets do you get out of the military

What kinds of things are manufactured for national defense?

What were some notorious battle operations over the last 50 years ? Most successful? Most unsuccessful. Biggest army mistakes

Etc
A HS course certainly isn't necessary for you to get the answers you seek. Go to the library and look it up in the World Book Encyclopedia. Only takes a few minutes of your time.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:47 PM

124 posts, read 274,748 times
What's the World book encyclopedia? (old mans sarcasm, couldn't help myself).

Old 04-02-2014, 06:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Another history class?
I'm sure we are gonna beat Japan, China and Germany by making our kids take another history class
And, God knows, "beating Japan, China, and Germany" is what getting a quality education is all about.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:56 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,136,915 times
I'll pass. I've never been a fan of the K-12 system's 'fluffy' version of history. Rarely are our youngsters made aware of the multitude of atrocities our government has committed, particularly against its own citizenry. Half-truth education isn't so much education as it is brainwashing.

Just my 2cents...

Old 04-02-2014, 07:03 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
(Cynicism)....I don't think schools want kids to be that smart. (Shock, Horror).

-It's always interesting what they don't teach in school. I'm still waiting for personal finance in every school. I.e. filling out a mortgage application, filling out tax forms, understanding credit cards, etc should be part of a high school graduation portfolio. I haven't heard a good reason why this isn't done.

I don't think they want kids questioning too much about history. It may upset the balance of power later on when they're older, lol.

My guess is, military history is too "controversial". We can't upset anyone anymore. You end up with a very watered down, bland version of "history".

Old 04-02-2014, 07:05 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Or some questions I still don't know the answers to all thru everything

Such as

What is an infantry division

What is the 105th airborne ...how many are there

How is the marine corps different from the navy

What non-military skillsets do you get out of the military

What kinds of things are manufactured for national defense?

What were some notorious battle operations over the last 50 years ? Most successful? Most unsuccessful. Biggest army mistakes

Etc

Because not everyone cares about these things. Not everyone want to be in the military.

Most normal people know the difference between the various branches of the armed forces.

The difference between the marines and the navy? People know that.

I'm all for people learning about American history. I'd imagine that military history would be taught at military schools and academies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education