U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:20 PM

28,965 posts, read 49,726,121 times

Advertisements

Lake Central High School students in Indiana were upset that their school refused to allow them to grieve for a fellow student who had committed suicide over the weekend. So they staged a sit in to request one. Of course there were police involved.

Read more at Cops Caught on Video Arresting a Kid for Telling his Principal that he is Disappointed in Him | The Free Thought Project
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:35 PM

1,136 posts, read 831,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Lake Central High School students in Indiana were upset that their school refused to allow them to grieve for a fellow student who had committed suicide over the weekend. So they staged a sit in to request one. Of course there were police involved.

Read more at Cops Caught on Video Arresting a Kid for Telling his Principal that he is Disappointed in Him | The Free Thought Project
I didn't feel like watching the video, but a sit-in is different from "telling his principal that he is disappointed in him." If you want to do a sit-in, prepare to get hauled off to jail.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:57 AM

646 posts, read 381,677 times
Totally pathetic.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:38 AM

161 posts, read 146,723 times
Quote:

ok, several things wrong here. One, i have no respect for someone that kills themselves. You dont want to be here, fine, do what you got to do. Second, taxpayers pay kids to learn, not do sit ins. Third, the school is not responsible, nor does it have to let the kids collectively gather to grieve at all. After all school is for learning. Its late, and thats all i got.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:43 AM

646 posts, read 381,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
ok, several things wrong here. One, i have no respect for someone that kills themselves. You dont want to be here, fine, do what you got to do. Second, taxpayers pay kids to learn, not do sit ins. Third, the school is not responsible, nor does it have to let the kids collectively gather to grieve at all. After all school is for learning. Its late, and thats all i got.
What an ignorant comment about people who kill themselves. Educate yourself on this topic.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 608,079 times
Quote:
In the U.S. of late we have conflicting agendas. First, we wish to limit the time for grief (except for the shooting of JFK). After the scheduled grief time, we have an agenda of respecting the schedule. Obviously some students wanted more time for grief during the school day, and failed to respect the schedule. This was unacceptable to the powers that be.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:47 PM

15,034 posts, read 9,993,561 times
The article didn't say much about what actually happened leading up to the arrest.
Who knows. Did the kids over react? Did the school act appropriatly? This probably cold have been a learning point for the students but as we have seen so many times common sense and schools or the folks who may complain or worse sue seem to be running the show. Remember the kid hauled off for eating his poptart into the shape of a gun, another made a lego gun, another threatened to shoot her friend with her Hello Kitty bubble gun when they got home. The kid telling the Principal that he is disappointed in him was probably lucky all that happened to him was to get arrested.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:03 PM

161 posts, read 146,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
What an ignorant comment about people who kill themselves. Educate yourself on this topic.
I am this situation. Ive had a hard life myself. I won't go into my business here, but trust me if I killed myself, I don't think anybody would blame me or wonder why, but guess what? I dont'. I don't because I have hope. Some people know that they need help and still refuse it. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink so yeah, no respect.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,735,909 times
Quote:
Quote:
I am this situation. Ive had a hard life myself. I won't go into my business here, but trust me if I killed myself, I don't think anybody would blame me or wonder why, but guess what? I dont'. I don't because I have hope. Some people know that they need help and still refuse it. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink so yeah, no respect.
Obviously, your life wasn't hard enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Don't bother. He's one of those ignorant types that doesn't understand what goes through someone's mind when contemplating suicide or the years of depression they experience.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:28 PM

4,182 posts, read 10,086,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The article didn't say much about what actually happened leading up to the arrest.
Who knows. Did the kids over react? Did the school act appropriatly? This probably cold have been a learning point for the students but as we have seen so many times common sense and schools or the folks who may complain or worse sue seem to be running the show. Remember the kid hauled off for eating his poptart into the shape of a gun, another made a lego gun, another threatened to shoot her friend with her Hello Kitty bubble gun when they got home. The kid telling the Principal that he is disappointed in him was probably lucky all that happened to him was to get arrested.
Watching the video, I sense that there were a few "knuckle head", I think that's who the prinicpal were referring to (cheering). It is absolutely necessary to remove the kids from the group so things doesn't get more out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or