Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:53 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,141,103 times

Advertisements

OP: How do you know it's lacking? Is this an opinion? Is it based on actual research of what kids should learn via developmental stages? I'm not sure to what you are comparing?

Maybe your child is a great student so it seems lacking in challenge? If so, is there a gifted program? Get your kid into leadership...our local YMCA has a very good national program and I bet all Y's participate. Start a club at school. I am sorry that I did not read your 1st post so I'm not sure of the age/grade.

My mom worked 2 jobs with 3 boys. I held a great 2.4 in high school (sports was key until an untimely knee injury). College is where I had room to grow and mature. My younger brother was always the A student. Today, we are both well educated and both have very solid jobs- education and management. Oh, my youngest brother is one of maybe two deaf pilots who holds a bunch of FAA certifications, including flight instructor. My mom is now retired and finally changed out her shag carpeting from the 60's (couldn't do any of that with the three of us in college) and all is well. It was hard at times as you know, but it all evened out. Relax! Find out what your child is passionate about and help him become the best. School is going to be there. Do not stress over a missed assignment or a class that is NOT difficult. If he's a good student and a good kid, he's going to most likely continue. I know my son's photography class is a joke. He wants to learn more, so I'll get him in at the local city college or a class taught by a pro. Man, I'm ranting and rambling tonight. Sorry- didn't even have coffee since this AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 04:02 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Fake
I don't know if it's fake or not so could you please post your source showing this is fake?

Old 04-08-2014, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's completely legitimate to point out that dual working parent households often lack sufficient time and flexibility to take as active a role as necessary in their children's education.
That is an incorrect assumption. Whether they do or they don't depends on the individual family. Working for a living doesn't mean you don't have time to take an active role in your child's education. It's not like only certain hours count or that taking 40 hours to work out of a 168 hour week means you don't have time left for what needs to be done. If you look at stats on working parents you'll find that what they give up is leisure time and sleep.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:44 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,857,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nah. Moby Dick is difficult. Uncle Tom's Cabin, Last of The Mohicans, Great Expectations were difficult. The portion I read of Bluest Eye was written on a Ninth grade level. Nothing difficult about it. Reading Bluest Eye is the equivalent of listening to Howard Stern.
The content of The Bluest Eye is difficult. It deals with institutionalized racism, pedophilia, incest and rape. That is difficult material to tackle but we shouldn't eliminate for older teens simply because the content is difficult to digest.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Fake
Not fake.

Turns Out, Toni Morrison Novel Will Stay on Ohio’s Common Core Guidelines | StateImpact Ohio

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s-should-read/

Old 04-08-2014, 04:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
But again, it is only a recommendation not a requirement. It's listed in an appendix, not even in the standards themselves.

Quote:
The document that The Bluest Eye is mentioned in is an appendix to the Common Core standards. The document lists passages from texts that illustrate the suggested difficulty level of the material students at each grade level should be reading. The Bluest Eye appears in a list of sample texts for 11th grade. The passage from the novel in that appendix does not describe rape or incest.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,316,143 times
A link to this article was included in post #12 to this very thread. The quote was included, too.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
But again, it is only a recommendation not a requirement. It's listed in an appendix, not even in the standards themselves.
Why in the hell would this be a recommendation???? WTF are those who made this decision thinking? There is no way this book belongs on a recommended reading list for high school students. In fact it doesn't belong on anyone's recommended list. Seriously? This is garbage.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Somehow these recommendations make it into schools all across the nation all at about the same time.
And scholastic rates it as 7th grade reading level.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,535,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Somehow these recommendations make it into schools all across the nation all at about the same time.
And scholastic rates it as 7th grade reading level.
I thought you were a teacher? Surely you understand Lexiles?

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison | Scholastic.com

Interest Level Grades 9 - 12
Reading Level Grade level Equivalent: 7.1
Lexile Measure ®: 920L
DRA: Not Available
Guided Reading: NR

Genre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education