Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:01 PM

147 posts, read 130,111 times

Advertisements

Alright, thanks guys. I think I have my answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,577 times
It comes from two Latin words: "Aqua" (Latin for water) and "marina" (Latin for sea). Aqua marina (sea water) became anglicized as aquamarine (a color the color of sea water).

It can be thought of as a compound word, although a somewhat strange one since one would was left in Latin, the other anglicized.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 PM

941 posts, read 1,792,172 times
Apparently no one on this Forum knows how to use Google to search for the full meaning of words. Aquamarine is a reference to a color and to a gemstone known as aquamarine in the English Language. The fact there are two separate parts to the word hints that it is an evolved word that tells some kind of story about where it was derived from. The first part of the word is obviously derived from knowledge of whatever language used the term for water. The second half is from the maritime environment and what ever languages use it that way. I didn't search for any other meanings of the two words but the term itself seems to be derived from the use to describe something clear as water which is where the name as a gemstone comes into play as an English word. It is possible the word is used in other languages as well but the discussion here seems to be confined to the English usage.

Last edited by richelles; 04-09-2014 at 09:58 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 10:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
Apparently no one on this Forum knows how to use Google to search for the full meaning of words...
If you don't wish to include yourself in that statement you will need to say "Apparently I am the only one on this Forum who knows how to use Google to search for the full meaning of words."

Old 04-09-2014, 11:17 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Aqua is used in English as a color.

Marine is used in English as a reference to the sea.

Either word can stand alone.

Aquamarine is a compound word in English.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:20 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,121,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlfromipanemo View Post
Thanks for your feedback. My daughter is being told by her teacher that it "doesn't count" because "aqua" is Spanish.
The teacher is right in that the word is NOT a compound word, but her reason is wrong. The word "aqua" is actually a shortened form of the word "aquamarine," in other words, they are the same word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Two words combine to create a new word is a compound.
Just because a word happens to contain two other words does not mean it is a compound word. The words must be combined with a purpose to create a new word that contains the meanings of the original words.

Examples of compound words include: classroom, aircraft, bookshelf, tumbleweed, etc.

Some words are made up of two other words, but they are not compound words. For example:

Word 1: Con - verb - to persuade someone to do or believe something, typically by deception.

Word 2: Science - noun - The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Both are legitimate words in the English language. However, if I combine them together, I get conscience - an inner feeling or voice viewed as acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of one's behavior.

Conscience is not a compound word.

The same could be said for words like crawdad, luncheon, and marring.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Aqua is a word in the English language meaning blue-green or turquoise. Marine is a word pertaining to the sea. When you put two words together you get a compound word. Aquamarine must be a compound word. Aqua + marine. It is often used to describe a gemstone that is blue-green and the color of the ocean.

aqueduct, aquaculture, aquaplane--examples of other compound words using aqua. Aqueduct is made from two Latin words: aqua and ductus, meaning to lead or guide. An aqueduct transports (in a way it guides water.)

Whether it is derived from Latin (which of course it is) has no bearing on whether the English word is part of a compound word. That's the way I see it and it makes you wonder what that teacher is thinking.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:25 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Aqua is a word in the English language meaning blue-green or turquoise. Marine is a word pertaining to the sea. When you put two words together you get a compound word. Aquamarine must be a compound word. Aqua + marine. It is often used to describe a gemstone that is blue-green and the color of the ocean.

aqueduct, aquaculture, aquaplane--examples of other compound words using aqua. Aqueduct is made from two Latin words: aqua and ductus, meaning to lead or guide. An aqueduct transports (in a way it guides water.)

Whether it is derived from Latin (which of course it is) has no bearing on whether the English word is part of a compound word. That's the way I see it and it makes you wonder what that teacher is thinking.

It makes me wonder too because aqua is prefix and aquamarie is not a compound word..link

Old 04-10-2014, 04:40 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
Apparently no one on this Forum knows how to use Google to search for the full meaning of words.
They do, however, know enough to respond to the topic of the thread, which is whether the word is a compound word, something your post failed to do.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:21 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,951,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Aqua is used in English as a color.

Marine is used in English as a reference to the sea.

Either word can stand alone.

Aquamarine is a compound word in English.
Aquamarine ... from the sea.

... like a saltwater aquarium with starfish and clownfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education