Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 PM

746 posts, read 866,390 times

Advertisements

Like web designer might be good for me and its ranked one of the best careers without needing college (or at least not alot). But that means working on a computer. No social interaction, but it pays good. But money isn't enough to make (most) people happy. We need others in our life (significant other, friends, etc.) but how do I get better socials skills (mine suck) if I just work on a computer with no social interaction. Thats a job I could probably handle but I don't want to be socially isolated. What's good for me makes me unhappy? What makes me happy is bad for me? I am exhausted from thinking all of this.

Anyone a web designer here? Or been one? How was it?

Also was it hard learning how to write code? I have no idea how to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 10:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
at 20 we consider blind drunk & a potential score on a bar stool--- as a social life.
what is needed is more hard skills and maturity and less fake white collar trade school aka university brainwash.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:47 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
Like web designer might be good for me and its ranked one of the best careers without needing college (or at least not alot). But that means working on a computer. No social interaction, but it pays good. But money isn't enough to make (most) people happy. We need others in our life (significant other, friends, etc.) but how do I get better socials skills (mine suck) if I just work on a computer with no social interaction. Thats a job I could probably handle but I don't want to be socially isolated. What's good for me makes me unhappy? What makes me happy is bad for me? I am exhausted from thinking all of this.

Have you taken a programming class? That's the only way to find out if web design is even an option. You are putting the cart before the horse worrying about the social aspect when you don't even know if the work is something that is suitable for you. Have you talked to your school guidance counselor about careers or do a career assessment test?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
I doubt you would be working on the computer doing web designing every waking moment of the remainder of your life. Even if the job itself has long periods of solitary work while on the job, I am sure you will have plenty of opportunity for friends outside of work.

It's not like people working together in a cube farm are sitting around talking. They work by themselves 8 hours a day, and chat over break or lunch.

Don't base your decision on this career based on your social needs away from your career, and even in your career be sure to allow yourself a good work/life balance.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,640 times
Peter,

You had better go to Slashdot or Dice and ask your questions about being a Web Designer, I'd tell you my opinion but it sucks and most of the times people don't want to hear that. Most Web Designers are not coders, plain and simple. Go to elance, odesk, freelancer, or rent-a-coder and see how much people overseas are willing to accept for Web Design work. If you can come in under their wages ($2 an hour sound good to you?) then you can have some success.

As a Web Designer you will actually be working a lot with people. Someone has to tell you what their vision for the website is (usually Marketing) and then you'll have to deal with actual coders and programmers along with other computer folks. It's not as isolated a position as you would think.

Your job will really not have much of an effect on your social life if you are weird or awkward. The only way to fix it? Quit being weird and awkward. Easier said than done, of course.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:34 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post

A job is a means to get income. You get your hobbies, social needs and social skills outside your job. You can be a ____________ and not talk to anyone at your job, but have an active social life once you leave work and on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education