Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Nope. It's about students and school employees having to see nipples, butt cracks, and, according to a colleague of mine, a man's *******. I don't care if they dress like slobs as long as I, or my students, don't have to see body parts that many refer to as "private parts". I would prefer not to see undergarments.
It's already illegal to show private parts in public.

When we lived in South Florida, the public schools had uniform requirements. Those have been voted down in the 8 years since we left. The schools have enough to worry about enforcing the dress code of students. If the kids are embarrassed by the way their parents dress, let them say so.

For the record, I never saw inappropriately dressed adults in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 12:33 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,106,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Should Schools Introduce Dress Codes for Parents?

If you’re a busy parent who brings your child to school each morning,
you probably don't give much thought to what you throw on before heading
out the door. But if your kid goes to school in Florida, you might soon
have to ditch those yoga pants and starting dressing up for the drop-off.
One Florida school board member is proposing a dress code for parents
in order to set a good example for students. ............................

https://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/school-board-member-dress-code-parents-rosalind-osgood-boyd-anderson-high-155852940.html

Good grief no.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:14 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,661 times
It's insane the level of minutiae that some people would rather get caught up in versus the real issues that exist in the world. Out of all of the travesties that have happened in Florida the last few years, issues that really NEED to be justly addressed and remedied, some of you would rather focus on what a parent wears to drop off/pick up their children from school. Never mind that some of those kids might not make it to adulthood for no other reason than the ignorant prejudices of others. Let's go after those parents in their SpongeBob pajamas and hair rollers.

Incredible!

That's America for you...Land of the free, as long as your values and way of thinking follow the majority rule, of course.

I'll leave you all to it. I can't have a conversation with people that nit-witted.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:30 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
It's insane the level of minutiae that some people would rather get caught up in versus the real issues that exist in the world.
You are making a very common mistake in thinking that because A is worse than B, that B is not important at all.

As I said in an earlier post on this thread, the mayor of NYC back in the 80's cracked down on turnstile-jumping and graffiti, which led to a decline in murders, rapes, and muggings because the mayor's actions deterred the general lawlessness that had been prevalent.

It's the same idea as establishing a dress code for parents of unruly, thuggish, and lazy children.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:15 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It's already illegal to show private parts in public.

When we lived in South Florida, the public schools had uniform requirements. Those have been voted down in the 8 years since we left. The schools have enough to worry about enforcing the dress code of students. If the kids are embarrassed by the way their parents dress, let them say so.

For the record, I never saw inappropriately dressed adults in school.
There is "showing private parts", and showing private parts. I have been treated to cleavage, nipples, and butt cracks, along with a few far too obvious outlines in the genital region. I never saw that the first 15 or so years of my career but the last 10, it was amazing what some parents showed up in.

Who are the kids supposed to say something to? Their parents? Right.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-17-2014 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You are making a very common mistake in thinking that because A is worse than B, that B is not important at all.

As I said in an earlier post on this thread, the mayor of NYC back in the 80's cracked down on turnstile-jumping and graffiti, which led to a decline in murders, rapes, and muggings because the mayor's actions deterred the general lawlessness that had been prevalent.

It's the same idea as establishing a dress code for parents of unruly, thuggish, and lazy children.
Jumping turnstiles was and is legal. Being a SLOB is and never was. I choose not to live in a nanny state and would like to keep it that way. Educate the children that is what school is for not to police parents. If an outfit is so objectable refuse to met with the parent (s).

Old 04-17-2014, 03:32 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Jumping turnstiles was and is legal. Being a SLOB is and never was. I choose not to live in a nanny state and would like to keep it that way. Educate the children that is what school is for not to police parents. If an outfit is so objectable refuse to met with the parent (s).
Jumping turnstiles was illegal but tolerated in the 70's because "hey, it's not murder".

Being a SLOB is now tolerated because, hey, it's not murder. Time to turn back the clock on society's tolerance of slobs.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:37 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
I went to private school up until high school and always had to wear uniforms. It stopped a lot of drama and kept us all more focused. How you dress affects how you behave. Let people walk around in tank tops and flip flops, and many of them will care a lot less. Make people wear slacks and a shirt, and they come to internalize that this is time for work and learning, not play.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There is showing private parts, and showing private parts. I have been treated to cleavage, nipples, and butt cracks, along with a far to obvious outlines in the genital region. I never saw that the first 15 or so years of my career but the last 10, it was amazing what some parents showed up in.

Who are the kids supposed to say something to? Their parents? Right.
Are you talking about a woman going braless? To me, that's no big deal, nor is cleavage. I have never seen a women enter a school in FL topless. Nor do I pay particular attention to the crotches of men. Raise your eyes, and look people in the eye. Problem solved.

And yes, if one of my kids told me I was embarrassing them with my dress, I would walk over to a mirror.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
No parents should know that wearing revealing clothes or an EC F'n W shirt is not right. No your of dress code can fix stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education