Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:58 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times

Advertisements

This is very common at Prep schools in the Northeast and I would assume in other areas of the country as well. Basically, every student is required to do a sport or activity (yearbook, newspaper, community service, etc.) after school. The sports don't have to be competitive, i.e. there are options for instructional soccer, basketball, etc.

I know there is a cost involved but to me it seemed (an was) a great way to keep students busy and out of trouble. Also, great for working parents, as their kids were not ready to be picked up until 5:30. Games were Wednesdays and Saturday. I had not time to get in trouble as I was in/at school 6 days a week. I also thought it as a good way to meet others outside your grade who had common interests.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 01:11 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,261 times
Disagree with the mandatory part. I find it unnecessary. What if a kid has to/needs to hold a job or reallyvwants to go home and do hw and relax after 8 hours in school?

Old 04-19-2014, 01:28 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Well, in the scenario you mention (a prep school where kids are likely rather wealthy) I guess it's not horrible, but for every school? Bad idea. Some kids have to work to support their families, or babysit younger siblings after school.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:37 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
MD started to require 75 hours of mandatory volunteering a number of years ago. It's funny to see the seniors scrambling the 2nd semester of Senior year to get them (they come to high school with 35 already). They'll beg you to let them clean your room or organize your files to get a couple hours.

What is tightening the screws now is the new evaluation instrument for teachers. A significant part of your evaluation (15% or so) is tied into whether you coach or sponsor a club or activity. It's called "community involvement".

I'm glad I've only got two more years.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:55 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
The only "mandatory" activities should be scheduled between the hours of 8-3. Offering opportunities? Fine. Demanding they be done as a condition of graduation reeks of conscription, not altruism.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The only "mandatory" activities should be scheduled between the hours of 8-3. Offering opportunities? Fine. Demanding they be done as a condition of graduation reeks of conscription, not altruism.

That ship has sailed. Many states have required mandatory volunteerism as a graduation requirement for years.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:24 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That ship has sailed. Many states have required mandatory volunteerism as a graduation requirement for years.
I know. Only one of ours fell into that requirement trap, and it was fulfilled via financial donations. Which of course, defeats the purpose. Which, in turn, makes the premise stupid.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
MD started to require 75 hours of mandatory volunteering a number of years ago. It's funny to see the seniors scrambling the 2nd semester of Senior year to get them (they come to high school with 35 already). They'll beg you to let them clean your room or organize your files to get a couple hours.

What is tightening the screws now is the new evaluation instrument for teachers. A significant part of your evaluation (15% or so) is tied into whether you coach or sponsor a club or activity. It's called "community involvement".

I'm glad I've only got two more years.
Is the "community involvement" on a volunteer basis?

If yes, than it is just one more task to add to the teacher's almost endless work day. Sheesh!

Old 04-19-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Is the "community involvement" on a volunteer basis?

If yes, than it is just one more task to add to the teacher's almost endless work day. Sheesh!
Technically yes, but it's part of the evaluation.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
This is very common at Prep schools in the Northeast and I would assume in other areas of the country as well. Basically, every student is required to do a sport or activity (yearbook, newspaper, community service, etc.) after school. The sports don't have to be competitive, i.e. there are options for instructional soccer, basketball, etc.

I know there is a cost involved but to me it seemed (an was) a great way to keep students busy and out of trouble. Also, great for working parents, as their kids were not ready to be picked up until 5:30. Games were Wednesdays and Saturday. I had not time to get in trouble as I was in/at school 6 days a week. I also thought it as a good way to meet others outside your grade who had common interests.

Thoughts?
Parents who sign their children up for private schools are agreeing to the terms of the school. In that case I think it is fine for a school to make whatever mandatory rules it thinks will benefit the student body. If the parents don't like it they can pick a different school, or go to public school. Public school is a very different thing. It is paid for by everyone, for the benefit of everyone. I think a public school would be overstepping its boundaries in a very serious way to be mandating what students do after school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education