Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Perhaps some sort of online correspondence school where they receive video lessons and ask questions on-line and let the parents force them to learn as they are the only ones who can. That way they can learn if they decide they want to otherwise they can just act up at home and not disrupt anyone else's education.
Yes, because the parents have done such a great job to date. So basically you want to condemn them to being feral animals just waiting until they do something bad enough to land them in prison? I am not sure that there is a good answer, but that is a bad one. Trust me, I get that they are destroying the education of others. That, however, is why these kinds of alternative schools are around. They are at the final stop of alternative education at that school, a day treatment facility. There is the hope that one or two can be salvaged, but I imagine most of the kids that walk through their doors are just doomed, and have been since the day they were born. By the way, for the most part, it takes too long to get them out of the regular schools into alternate settings.

The teachers that work there earn every penny of their pay.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:19 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Then they need to be in a controlled environment which may as well be a prison or rather a boarding school where they receive video lessons since they create such a disruptive environment in a classroom. What I saw on the video isn't really helpful. Noone can learn in that chaos and the teachers and students are at constant risk of injury due to violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Perhaps some sort of online correspondence school where they receive video lessons and ask questions on-line and let the parents force them to learn as they are the only ones who can. That way they can learn if they decide they want to otherwise they can just act up at home and not disrupt anyone else's education.
I highly doubt they have a computer or internet at home. If you give them one, Mom sells the laptop for drugs, the kid busts it in a fit of anger or it's stolen.

They sure look they could use some Ex Military men patrolling those halls.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
. The Cortez kid broke my heart, he will probably have murdered someone, be in prison, or be dead himself in 5 years.
I don't understand why that kid was in the school. He seemed half decent though was being terrorized by the others due to his speech issues/panic attacks. I think he would probably do better being home schooled with video lessons.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I highly doubt they have a computer or internet at home. If you give them one, Mom sells the laptop for drugs, the kid busts it in a fit of anger or it's stolen.

They sure look they could use some Ex Military men patrolling those halls.
I agree. They need to be sent to military school.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:13 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
You'd think it would be a good job for some of our Military vets getting out of the service.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:15 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
I don't understand why that kid was in the school. He seemed half decent though was being terrorized by the others due to his speech issues/panic attacks. I think he would probably do better being home schooled with video lessons.
You've got the kids mixed up. You are thinking of Montreal Almond. He'd be better off a lot of other places, mainly any place that takes him out of his home with a father that he is terrified of. The Cortez kid was the one who thinks violence is the only answer and had a laundry list of relatives that were murdered or murderers. He is a ticking time bomb. Montreal is primarily an imploder while Cortez is an exploder. One is a danger mainly to himself, the other is a danger to anyone who crosses his path.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:18 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
That would accomplish what, exactly? Let's see, the military demands the following of orders and certain procedures in doing things. What is it these kids are bad at doing? What possible punishment would make an impression on them?

What you'd have instead would be prep school fragging incidents in the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You'd think it would be a good job for some of our Military vets getting out of the service.
Most would last a week.

If you haven't worked with this population, as OldHag and couple others have, you have absolutely no idea what you're up against. It's not just the home life but everything else that cascades out of that. These kids have had zero guidance from Day One.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And people really think that "more money" is going to change those students.
I think they know there's no hope they just want money for cushy jobs.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
The best idea I've heard in a long time was from a GOP congressman who suggested employing these individuals in agriculture. I don't think most of these kids are capable of anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education