Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,360 times

Advertisements

I graduated high school in 1960. During the 4 years I was in High school there was one pregnancy. There have been 14 pregnacies that I know of in my seventeen year old son's school in the three years he's been attending. There was one death in my 4 years (auto accident). In my son's school in 3 years there have been 11 kids killed in auto accidents, three murdered, two drug od's, one suicide 3 attempted suicides, 2 disappearances, over two dozen police reports on "bullying", and kids caught having sex on campus on 9 different occasions.

Some of the kids that couldn't make it took shop back then and a good percentage are today's master mechanics, others became farmers or now are running McDonalds franchises. The ones that did make it became atomic scientists (my brother), doctors, heads of corporations, teachers and lawyers. When a kid was a bully in my school, he got beat up by either the reigning jock (me) or the biggest teacher -and when he got home, his parents added a few wacks. There not only was school spirit, we all looked after one another - like a big family. When one student picked on another, the classmates usually came to the rescue. Now the classmates film the action. I could go on and on, but I won't. Suffice to say, there is a reason why we landed men on the moon in the sixties, and haven't done so for around 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt from Long Island View Post
I graduated high school in 1960. During the 4 years I was in High school there was one pregnancy. There have been 14 pregnacies that I know of in my seventeen year old son's school in the three years he's been attending. There was one death in my 4 years (auto accident). In my son's school in 3 years there have been 11 kids killed in auto accidents, three murdered, two drug od's, one suicide 3 attempted suicides, 2 disappearances, over two dozen police reports on "bullying", and kids caught having sex on campus on 9 different occasions.

Some of the kids that couldn't make it took shop back then and a good percentage are today's master mechanics, others became farmers or now are running McDonalds franchises. The ones that did make it became atomic scientists (my brother), doctors, heads of corporations, teachers and lawyers. When a kid was a bully in my school, he got beat up by either the reigning jock (me) or the biggest teacher -and when he got home, his parents added a few wacks. There not only was school spirit, we all looked after one another - like a big family. When one student picked on another, the classmates usually came to the rescue. Now the classmates film the action. I could go on and on, but I won't. Suffice to say, there is a reason why we landed men on the moon in the sixties, and haven't done so for around 20 years.
I graduated from high school in 1967. There were several pregnancies, including one high profile pregnancy of a popular girl and her jock boyfriend. For the most part, the pregnant girls dropped out of school and finished in night school. This seemed to be an unwritten rule at my school. However, the high profile girl was allowed to continue in regular school, even after she and the jock got married. She was 6 months pregnant when we graduated. There were a few pregnancies in my daughters' classes, 2002 and 2005.

Several kids in my class were killed in auto accidents. The graduation rate was lower then, too. There was at least one drug death in my older daughter's class.

As far as kids who couldn't "make it", I once worked at a facility for developmentally delayed kids. Our director loved to tell the story that there is a lower incidence of delay in adults than kids; the person pumping your gas (this was the olden days,LOL), checking out your groceries, etc may have been considered DD in school. On the outside, it doesn't matter so much.

I don't think any of this has anything to do with moon landings.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Years ago if a girl got pregnant, she would often drop out of school. The rate of teen pregnancy has gone DOWN . http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20091...te-is-dropping. Ever watch the show Mad Men where women were subjugated to being second class citizens? No, I don't want to go back to that crap. If you are a white male, I'm sorry but your time of being the king of the hill is over.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-03-2011 at 07:37 AM..

Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,401 times
If nothing more, reading the post was funny and gave me a good laugh!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:54 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Years ago if a girl got pregnant, she would often drop out of school. The rate of teen pregnancy has gone DOWN . U.S. Pregnancy Rate Is Dropping. Ever watch the show Mad Men where women were subjugated to being second class citizens? No, I don't want to go back to that crap. If you are a white male, I'm sorry but your time of being the king of the hill is over.

The rate is down for 1990 to 2005. How about after 2005. The illegitimacy rate has gone way up since then. I expect quite a few are high school age.

This thread is 60's vs. today. The parents of todays children are not from the 60's. The yougest person that graduated in the 60's is 60.

If you did not live in the Mad Men era, don't take it as gospel. It's a TV show. A lot of women today wish they had that lifestyle.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:12 PM

26,733 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
For the most part, the pregnant girls dropped out of school and finished in night school. This seemed to be an unwritten rule at my school.
At our high school, late 60's/early 70's, the girls went to "visit family" in another state, had the baby, gave it up for adoption and came back to finish high school. No one spoke of it. In fact, some of these girls (I knew of one cheerleader, two years older than I) who revealed what she'd been through some twenty years later. The whole thing was hidden.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:10 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
The rate is down for 1990 to 2005. How about after 2005. The illegitimacy rate has gone way up since then. I expect quite a few are high school age.

This thread is 60's vs. today. The parents of todays children are not from the 60's. The yougest person that graduated in the 60's is 60.

If you did not live in the Mad Men era, don't take it as gospel. It's a TV show. A lot of women today wish they had that lifestyle.
I was born in 1957, and half of my school years were indeed in the 1960's. My youngest child is 18. I know many parents my age that have kids in High School right now. What wonderful lifestyle is it that you think a lot of women want? I really don't know anyone that would choose to be a second class citizen and I know many women just a bit older then me that felt that they missed out on some choices just because they were women. Please don't assume that I take any tv show as gospel.

This article is fairly recent - The Checkup - Teen birth rate hits record low

Quote:
As the nation continued to struggle in the recession in 2009, the rate at which U.S. women are having babies continued to fall, pushing the teen birth rate to a record low, federal officials reported Tuesday.

The birth rate among U.S. girls aged 15 to 19 fell to 39.1 births per 1,000 teens in 2009, the most recent year for which statistics are available. That's a 6 percent drop from 2008 and the lowest rate ever recorded in the nearly 70 years that the federal government has been collecting reliable data, according to a preliminary analysis of data from the National Center for Health Statistics.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:57 PM

143 posts, read 378,038 times
This thread is so funny. I love how some people think the 60's were some Leave it to Beaver happiness.

Maybe I'm just selfish, but I love the 21st century because life is so much sweeter for ME. Yeah, if I lived in the 60's, I'd be regulated to secretarial work, with no chance of promotion 'cause I'm a gal and girls will just get married and have babies after working a few years, right?

I bet I can forget about becoming a engineers or lawyers because those are jobs you want your husband to have, right?

I guess I can forget about marrying my current fiance because it would be an interracial relationship and we would be violating multiple state miscegenation laws.

And, really, I probably wouldn't be here right now because the US had laws that barred Chinese national from immigrating to those country. The quota system was set in place in the 19th century to prevent the US from being flooded with the "mongloid race"....so it's a really good thing that I wasn't born then.

Yes, the good ol' days were so wonderful that I would rather be treated like a second class citizen due to my race, a second class spouse due to my gender, and completely financially dependent on my husband's goodwill because I can't be good for certain careers. Lovely.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
It worked with me. You sound like you let your kids run all over you.
Your dad whipped you because of an accident, and if someone doesn't then they are letting kids run all over them. U be shilling or you got some problems....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education