Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

It's half-day kindergarten. They don't have much time to prep the kids for 1st grade. Yes, kindergarten should be a time for fun, but you can have fun learning. In my school we did a little basic reading skills and a little basic math; then we went up to the preschool for the rest of the day and did arts and crafts with them and had story time and recess. These kids only have a half-day, so they should devote that to the less fun stuff that's going to make sure they're at level when they go into first grade. Moreover, that will make full days as a first-grader far less of a shock to their systems.

But the way the school explained it was purely moronic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoleo View Post
I wonder why Americans are pushing their kids so hard. My nephew is going to kindergarten and he doesn't have to do anything like this. Most other countries - even ones ahead of America - don't do this to their kids.
I agree, and I find it very sad for the children.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:24 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
This is all part of Agenda 21. Common Core is part of that and the goal is to take your kids away from you and have them instilled in K-20, kindergarten through college. You see what common core curriculum is - imagine it being fed to you for 14 years.

Do some research - it's all over the internet from a million different points of view.

They have a pin pointed span of 15 years in which they want to teach your kids to think green, sustainability as well as all about smart growth.

It ain't pretty. Look at it all before firing off inane replies.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

But the way the school explained it was purely moronic.
Sounds like a tone-deaf school administration.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
When i was in Kindergarten (1976-77) we had songs we sang, we learned letters and numbers, had snacks, played with toys, and had nap time. There were no plays until 1st grade and if i recall the first half of the school year was a half day while the remainder was a full day (i could be wrong though). Regardless, there was nothing at all that we did that couldve helped us with our careers. Heck if youdve asked us what we wanted to do when we grew up we probably wouldve said "play".
I'm all grown up and this is still my answer. I think it's probably true for a lot of adults, too.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:44 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Wow. When I was in kindergarten (1965-66) we learned how to finger paint and we sang songs about how red and yellow make orange, etc. I started reading in first grade.

Later in the article they say the concert would be replaced with a "game day". They do not say how a game day will prepare the little pre-adults for college and career.
I suppose a "game day" requires no preparation and endless rehearsals. However, I'd say what better way to prepare for college and career than standing up in front of a crowd of people and performing? It probably is better prep than running around outside and playing games. The weird thing I read in the article was that they only offer half-day kindergarten in that district, but still have the intensive curriculum most full-day kindergartners have learning to read. It's not the same kindergarten you or I had, but cramming it all into a half-day? Crazy!

Old 04-30-2014, 07:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I'm all grown up and this is still my answer. I think it's probably true for a lot of adults, too.

Repped. So true!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
This is all part of Agenda 21. Common Core is part of that and the goal is to take your kids away from you and have them instilled in K-20, kindergarten through college. You see what common core curriculum is - imagine it being fed to you for 14 years.
Do you know anything about the school or school administration? It sounds like you're injecting politics without any evidence.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Yep...

Kindergarten is serious college prep work.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:33 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
It depends on the quality of the concert.
Quality in a kindergarten concert???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education