Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 12:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,047 times

Advertisements

After five years you have to retake classes in a nursing program and they really need to stop it. The blood would still be red, the vein will still flow the same way after five years. I got a degree in science. Why can't they stop the madness? This would be the fourth time. Really something has to give. I had to raise a family, help my parents, why can't they have some heart?!

Mod note - changed wording for clarity.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-17-2014 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 10:08 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
And tuberculosis is still a disease caused by mental health problems, autism is caused by poor parenting, stomach ulcers are caused by "Type A" personality, etc, etc, etc. We don't "bleed" people any more. Tuberculosis and ulcers are caused by bacteria. Autism is well, it's not from poor parenting. Science changes.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,131,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And tuberculosis is still a disease caused by mental health problems, autism is caused by poor parenting, stomach ulcers are caused by "Type A" personality, etc, etc, etc. We don't "bleed" people any more. Tuberculosis and ulcers are caused by bacteria. Autism is well, it's not from poor parenting. Science changes.
But in 5 years ?

Old 05-16-2014, 10:33 AM

778 posts, read 818,012 times
If you learn something and then walk away from it in five years without those skills being put to use, you're probably going to get rusty.

In five years you can have some impressive changes. Science isn't magically going to get turned on its ear, but best practices may change. Some treatments may change. I took a CPR class about six years ago and yes, I technically remember how to do it. But I know there's hands-free CPR, and I have no idea when to use that versus breathing, and I'm so out of practice I'm not sure I'd do it right. Getting CPR from me is probably better than dying, but not as good as getting it from someone who knows what they're doing.

It sounds like your situation is unfortunate, OP, but you're dealing with A) a competitive field where B) people's lives are in your hand. You need to have the best and most recent training available.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:43 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But in 5 years ?
When would you cut it off? Science can change rapidly. What was right yesterday is sometimes wrong today. I think five years is appropriate. Some things will be the same, some not.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:57 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,401,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When would you cut it off? Science can change rapidly. What was right yesterday is sometimes wrong today. I think five years is appropriate. Some things will be the same, some not.
I have to disagree. I got my masters in engineering in 1995. If I went back to school today for a PhD, I wouldn't have to retake any of my undergrade or graduate classes.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:31 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,028,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have to disagree. I got my masters in engineering in 1995. If I went back to school today for a PhD, I wouldn't have to retake any of my undergrade or graduate classes.
Are you sure? A friend of mine just finished his PhD after being in industry for 10 years and he had to retake almost 2 years of undergrad-masters level coursework. It isn't listed as a hard requirement and the courses weren't for credit, but he he had to do it in order to be allowed into certain upper division courses. This was at Princeton CS department and he was previously at MIT.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:34 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,067,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But in 5 years ?
Yeah. ACLS changes constantly...even from year-to-year.
New therapies become standard of care overnight (see: sepsis, stroke protocols, etc).

Continuing ed is a MUST. I think 5 years is a bit long.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:01 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,803,384 times
It's not nursing that's doing this, necessarily. At the school I'm at, we don't accept any credits more than five years old, regardless of what program the student is entering. It used to be ten years old, but changed within the past year or so.

OP, it is not about having heart. It's about a policy. Every student has a sob story about why they should get into a program without completing the required prerequisites. And frankly, the school officials are not the ones responsible for making sure you can take care of your family. I hope you kept your complaints to yourself, because if you acted entitled or like a drama queen, then they may have you on a list of people not to accept into the program already.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,131,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary swindle campbell View Post
After five years you have to retake classes in a nursing program and they really need to stop it. The blood would still be red, the vein will still flow the same way after five years. I got a degree in science. Why can't they stop the madness? This would be the fourth time. Really something has to give. I had to raise a family, help my parents, why can't they have some heart?!
Once you start a degree program then you need to continue until you get that degree (whether it be the 2 year or 4 year).

It's up to the schools on how long they will accept credits.
Credits do expire and not just for nursing programs and science classes.
The general timeframe is about 7-10 years, sooner for science and engineering classes as those fields are still evolving.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-17-2014 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education