Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:03 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The ones I took weren't lectures. They were textual. For certain classes, on-line would be the way to go -- I think at least 2 years of college and in many cases 4 years could be done on-line and be much more affordable. Video conferencing with an interesting lecturer could replace expensive professors -- thousands could share a good professor -- and that could bring the costs way down.

Some classes with labs -- like quantitative analysis would not be as suitable to being put on-line.

Education is one area that hasn't kept up with technology. Many business meetings are now on-line. Why are universities stuck in the 1950's mode?
Here the cost is the same if you take the class on campus or on line. There is no cost save.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Here the cost is the same if you take the class on campus or on line. There is no cost save.
Same here -- but the costs should be cheaper. I know quite a few people who got their masters degrees through on-line courses and those were more affordable.

For one they didn't have to quit jobs or change schedules or commute.

I would hope that soon, there will be some on-line university that would offer very affordable tuition and people could get the degrees they need at a much lower cost.

A lot of businesses no longer fly people in and pay for hotels and all the other expense for conferences, they hold all their conferences on-line. You don't get to see people but after a while, you can start to "know" them. They allow discussions, and use powerpoint, desktop sharing, and they're recorded so you can be out that day and go back and attend them.

Why should universities be charging tuitions that people won't pay off until they retire, when if they would modernize, they could offer degrees for far less money.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
The ones I took weren't lectures. They were textual. For certain classes, on-line would be the way to go -- I think at least 2 years of college and in many cases 4 years could be done on-line and be much more affordable. Video conferencing with an interesting lecturer could replace expensive professors -- thousands could share a good professor -- and that could bring the costs way down.

Some classes with labs -- like quantitative analysis would not be as suitable to being put on-line.

Education is one area that hasn't kept up with technology. Many business meetings are now on-line. Why are universities stuck in the 1950's mode?
Many business meetings are still held 1950's style too (assuming you mean face to face). I can't think of any classes I took in college that would have been better on line. Too much is gained through discussion of the material with your peers.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Same here -- but the costs should be cheaper. I know quite a few people who got their masters degrees through on-line courses and those were more affordable.

I would hope that soon, there will be some on-line university that would offer very affordable tuition and people could get the degrees they need at a much lower cost.

A lot of businesses no longer fly people in and pay for hotels and all the other expense for conferences, they hold all their conferences on-line. You don't get to see people but after a while, you can start to "know" them. They allow discussions, and use powerpoint, desktop sharing, and they're recorded so you can be out that day and go back and attend them.

Why should universities be charging tuitions that people won't pay off until they retire, when if they would modernize, they could offer degrees for far less money.
But they don't charge less for online courses. As a matter of fact, I had to pay a technology fee to take the one I took.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:15 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
Quote:

There are online universities offering degrees at a very low cost: Western Governors University and Patten University are just two of them.

I think some of the best deals in online education come from attending public universities that either waive out-of-state tuition or charge lower etuition. It's hard to beat Chadron State College, Peru State College, and Fort Hays State University. Their online rates are just as cheap, and sometimes cheaper, than most of the in-state rates at 4-year colleges in my state.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:18 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I find it amazing that humans were able to accomplish so much in the first few millennia of our history with only reading and lectures as the primary instructional methods.

On a personal note, I love lectures. I would like to attend more of them for entertainment, but the area where I live has few evening lectures open to the public.
A lot was accomplished by just reading and tinkering alone, actually. Some of history's greatest inventors and theorists were self-taught.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:35 PM

781 posts, read 736,505 times
For some people that may not be true. For me? Oh hell yeah. I could've done my entire entire computer science degree online. Physics, calculus, the computer science classes; all of it. I pretty much never paid attention to anything in any lecture for the entire time of my schooling. Learned it all by just me and the books. A lot of wasted time in classrooms in for me.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What the heck do people want? It's school, everything doesn't have to be fun and games every second of our lives. A professor doesn't have to do a broadway play for us to learn. We go to school to hear the material and learn it, not be entertained. Lectures are perfectly effective for people who want to learn.

Go to class, get the material and study it.
I didn't want entertainment from professors. What I did want was not to have my f@#$in' time wasted. Which is what all the lecture time I was forced through was for me. I don't need some useless bonehead blathering at me to learn. I've always taught myself everything. And did a much better job than any lecturer could ever do thank you very much....

Old 05-18-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Do we really do them any favors by catering to their inability to listen? Are we really just enabling them to continue not working on attention and retention?
I think it's a better idea to know yourself and obey your own nature to be the most effective person you can be. Forcing square pegs into round holes is ineffective and a waste of time and other resources.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
I think it's a better idea to know yourself and obey your own nature to be the most effective person you can be. Forcing square pegs into round holes is ineffective and a waste of time and other resources.
The problem is the world will expect you to fit into holes. You will have to sit though staff meetings and you will have to things like read test specifications that were poorly translated into English. If you can't sit through a lecture and learn or read and learn you probably shouldn't going to college.

I agree on knowing yourself but chances are life is going to ask you to do things you don't do well so you might as well improve how you do them rather than say "Oh that's just not the way I learn". If you competition can learn that way and you can't, you're going to be the one out a job. I think one of the objectives of education is to get students to where they can learn in different ways because it's quite likely you will be required to learn in certain ways once in the work force and if you can't, they can hire someone who can. The same can be said for how fast you learn. The new trend in education is giving multiple chances to pass exams. The theory is that we should be grading knowledge not timeliness of learning. I've got news for you. If you learn at half the rate of your competition, you won't last long.

Why do we have a problem asking people to do difficult things? Why are we designing programs to cater to weaknesses instead of requiring development of strengths?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education